School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The 2014 academic year was marked by positive milestones and academic achievement for Newman Smith High School students. For the 14th consecutive year, Smith was listed among the top high schools in America by various national news magazines and out-performed academically 93 percent of high schools in Texas! In 2013, Smith was ranked as the #2 academic school in the state (academic performance index) by the Education Resource Group. In 2014, 393 students took 756 Advanced Placement exams with 61 percent earning passing grades of 3 to 5. In 2014, Smith had 43 AP Scholars, 18 AP Scholars with Honors, and 27 AP Scholars with Distinction. Also, Smith had 18 Academic All-State/Honorable Mention Academic All-State team selections from its girls and boys athletic programs in 2014. The graduating class of 2014 received over $6.5 million in local and national scholarships. Newman Smith High School is about academic rigor with a focus on student learning and achievement. The school's culture is college prep with a focus on preparing students to compete at the post-secondary level and in the 21st Century Economy (labor force). The school's graduation rate for 2014 was 97.4 percent for all students, 97.8 percent for African Americans, 95.7 percent for Hispanics, 100 percent for White students, 100 percent for Asian, and 100 percent for Two or More Races. Approximately 91 percent of graduates from the Class of 2014 enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year college. The campus curriculum is one of the best in America offering learners 26 college level courses plus the innovative International Business Academy, Science/Engineering Pathway, Culinary Arts Program, a nationally recognized Fine/Performing Arts Program, and vital foreign languages including Chinese (Mandarin). Newman Smith High School received 6 out of 6 Texas Education Agency Academic Distinctions in 2014 (Academic Achievement in Reading/English Language Arts, Academic Achievement in Mathematics, Acaedemic Achievement in Science, Academic Achievement in Social Studies, Top 25 Percent Closing Performance Gaps, and Postsecondary Readiness).
August 11, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

I, a sophomore student just withdrew from this terrible, rude school. I can't explain how much this school is horrible in terms of curriculum goes, and the teachers. The teachers do not want to help you and if you even dare ask them for help, they will give you the most disgusting look ever! I pray that anyone that goes to this school that you go at your own risk. Be blessed.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

It is a well known fact that if a parent donates large sums of money to the school rules are overlooked for their kids. Do not complained about the incompetency in the office or your child will be singled out and harassed.

I have never had such a bad experience with a school. I finally decided that I had to pull my daughter out of this school so that she could continue to move forward in her life. My daughter is a great student (3.8 gpa). Her teachers loved her and left great comments on her report card. She was harassed so badly by the administration that she began to have severe anxiety every morning before school. Some people are meant to be in the education field and others are there simply to earn a paycheck with the added bonus of having captive victims to act out their power trips.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is in our mission statement. Honesty, Respect, Loyalty and Achievement for ALL of our students.

Let me make this very clear. No other school nearly could have prepared me for college than Newman Smith High School. You can take that to the bank. In fact, our principal, Mr. Joe Pouncy is hands down the most no-nonsense, fun-loving principals I have ever had. He will lay it down to you and instill into our students that college is the future and that we are all here for one reason: to be great future leaders in the community.

This school is great if you only look at the teachers. The office staff and administration are among the most incompetent "professionals" I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. If I were to do my job with the care and concern that they do I would certainly be without a job. BEWARE OF THIS SCHOOL. My daughter's grades are outstanding. She gets along well with her teachers (receives very positive comments on her report card). In spite of this she suffers constant harassment from the office and administrative staff. I am heartbroken because I would like for my daughter to finish school here yet I can't continue to subject her to this nonsense. She will be completing her studies online.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted August 11, 2014

I attended Newman Smith for two and a half years and I think it is one of the worst schools I have ever attended in my life. The teachers are unprofessional (making sexual jokes in class, giving bonuses and changing grades at request, ect.) and not always qualified ( sometimes cannot answer specific questions). I was treated with overall condescension and learned very, very little for the time I wasted at this school. The administrators are more concerned with acsertaining that all students are wearing ID badges than anything academic or educational. Disiplinary action is lopsided and uneven -- in my experience, administrators will discipline what and whom they wish. A lot of students who should otherwise be in a regulars course are pressured to be in AP courses so that the school is held in a positive light to its audience. This made the AP classes move slowly, hindered by the (for lack of a better word) stupid questions. Also, it tilted unfairly (to those students appropriate to AP who had been making good grades) an already intellectually dishonest AP curve.

Both my kids have attended Smith their entire high school career. My daughter graduated two years ago, and my son will graduate next year. Their involvement in music, athletics, and the business academy, in addition to excellent academics, has prepared them for college and for life. CFBISD is consistently rated among the very best in Texas for their fine arts programs. And Smith is one very good reason for that. We have a great principal who has been in that position for many, many years. He sets high standards, and insists that his teachers do also. Students that work hard and control themselves have no problems. In the seven school-years we've experienced, there has been only ONE teacher that I regret having encountered, and I consider that a pretty good record.

For the first year and a half of high school I attended Newman Smith High School down the street from Turner. I had a horrible experience with Newman Smith as a whole. The teachers, principals, and counselors have absolutely no sympathy for their students. Their philosophy seems to be guilty until proven innocent and they certainly enforce this. Because of this and other issues with them, my mother and I agreed to transfer over to R. L. Turner where she and my older brother had graduated from. We were very pleased with the change because immediately I was accepted with my peers and with the administration. Turner allows their students to make the right decisions on their own and because of this it builds great character in their students. I recommend this school for students who want to have a great relationship with their peers and teachers who are also wonderful.

Last modified Smith High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.