Carrollton, TX
Students enrolled: 2,047
After care: No

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The 2014 academic year was marked by positive milestones and academic achievement for Newman Smith High School students. For the 14th consecutive year, Smith was listed among the top high schools in America by various national news magazines and out-performed academically 93 percent of high schools in Texas! In 2013, Smith was ranked as the #2 academic school in the state (academic performance index) by the Education Resource Group. In 2014, 393 students took 756 Advanced Placement exams with 61 percent earning passing grades of 3 to 5. In 2014, Smith had 43 AP Scholars, 18 AP Scholars with Honors, and 27 AP Scholars with Distinction. Also, Smith had 18 Academic All-State/Honorable Mention Academic All-State team selections from its girls and boys athletic programs in 2014. The graduating class of 2014 received over $6.5 million in local and national scholarships. Newman Smith High School is about academic rigor with a focus on student learning and achievement. The school's culture is college prep with a focus on preparing students to compete at the post-secondary level and in the 21st Century Economy (labor force). The school's graduation rate for 2014 was 97.4 percent for all students, 97.8 percent for African Americans, 95.7 percent for Hispanics, 100 percent for White students, 100 percent for Asian, and 100 percent for Two or More Races. Approximately 91 percent of graduates from the Class of 2014 enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year college. The campus curriculum is one of the best in America offering learners 26 college level courses plus the innovative International Business Academy, Science/Engineering Pathway, Culinary Arts Program, a nationally recognized Fine/Performing Arts Program, and vital foreign languages including Chinese (Mandarin). Newman Smith High School received 6 out of 6 Texas Education Agency Academic Distinctions in 2014 (Academic Achievement in Reading/English Language Arts, Academic Achievement in Mathematics, Acaedemic Achievement in Science, Academic Achievement in Social Studies, Top 25 Percent Closing Performance Gaps, and Postsecondary Readiness).
August 11, 2014

Smith High School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 06, 2015
This is in our mission statement. Honesty, Respect, Loyalty and Achievement for ALL of our students.

Posted July 06, 2015
Let me make this very clear. No other school nearly could have prepared me for college than Newman Smith High School. You can take that to the bank. In fact, our principal, Mr. Joe Pouncy is hands down the most no-nonsense, fun-loving principals I have ever had. He will lay it down to you and instill into our students that college is the future and that we are all here for one reason: to be great future leaders in the community.

Smith High School 1

Posted April 07, 2015
This school is great if you only look at the teachers. The office staff and administration are among the most incompetent "professionals" I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. If I were to do my job with the care and concern that they do I would certainly be without a job. BEWARE OF THIS SCHOOL. My daughter's grades are outstanding. She gets along well with her teachers (receives very positive comments on her report card). In spite of this she suffers constant harassment from the office and administrative staff. I am heartbroken because I would like for my daughter to finish school here yet I can't continue to subject her to this nonsense. She will be completing her studies online.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted August 11, 2014

Smith High School 1

Posted June 25, 2013
I attended Newman Smith for two and a half years and I think it is one of the worst schools I have ever attended in my life. The teachers are unprofessional (making sexual jokes in class, giving bonuses and changing grades at request, ect.) and not always qualified ( sometimes cannot answer specific questions). I was treated with overall condescension and learned very, very little for the time I wasted at this school. The administrators are more concerned with acsertaining that all students are wearing ID badges than anything academic or educational. Disiplinary action is lopsided and uneven -- in my experience, administrators will discipline what and whom they wish. A lot of students who should otherwise be in a regulars course are pressured to be in AP courses so that the school is held in a positive light to its audience. This made the AP classes move slowly, hindered by the (for lack of a better word) stupid questions. Also, it tilted unfairly (to those students appropriate to AP who had been making good grades) an already intellectually dishonest AP curve.

Posted June 21, 2013
Both my kids have attended Smith their entire high school career. My daughter graduated two years ago, and my son will graduate next year. Their involvement in music, athletics, and the business academy, in addition to excellent academics, has prepared them for college and for life. CFBISD is consistently rated among the very best in Texas for their fine arts programs. And Smith is one very good reason for that. We have a great principal who has been in that position for many, many years. He sets high standards, and insists that his teachers do also. Students that work hard and control themselves have no problems. In the seven school-years we've experienced, there has been only ONE teacher that I regret having encountered, and I consider that a pretty good record.

Smith High School 2

Posted November 02, 2011
For the first year and a half of high school I attended Newman Smith High School down the street from Turner. I had a horrible experience with Newman Smith as a whole. The teachers, principals, and counselors have absolutely no sympathy for their students. Their philosophy seems to be guilty until proven innocent and they certainly enforce this. Because of this and other issues with them, my mother and I agreed to transfer over to R. L. Turner where she and my older brother had graduated from. We were very pleased with the change because immediately I was accepted with my peers and with the administration. Turner allows their students to make the right decisions on their own and because of this it builds great character in their students. I recommend this school for students who want to have a great relationship with their peers and teachers who are also wonderful.

Posted August 12, 2010
Smith is a great size (enrollment) has caring teachers and Mr. Pouncy is the most involved high school principal I have ever known....If a student wants to succeed and be supported as well as join in the many extra curricular activities while getting excellent preparation for college...This is the place!

Smith High School 4

Posted May 23, 2010
My son is a graduate of Smith and was very successful in college because of his preparation at Smith. My daughter will transfer there next year as a junior because the quality and depth of instruction at Smith is superior to the HS she now attends. The principal is so excellent and I pray he will remain there for at least 2 more years. The teachers are professional and caring.

Posted January 20, 2010
I have only attended newman smith high school for the year but it is a great school in everyway they help as needed and when your child is failing they are required to attend 90 minutes of tutorials a week.

Smith High School
2335 North Josey Lane, Carrollton, TX  75006
Last modified Smith High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smith High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top