Joe Wilson Intermediate School

Public | 5-6 | 572 students

Posted February 13, 2014

By far the worst school EVER if your concern about your child well being don't send them here my child has been bullying numerous of times even threaten to be killed do you think the principal has done anything NO!! they practice no bullying but the bully's are able to remain in the school! Biggest mistake ever watching my child self esteem go lower and lower she will not be at that school next year I repeat do not send your child here

Posted October 9, 2013

I just recently moved to Cedar Hill and enrolled my middle child at Joe Wilson. The front office lady was very helpful at getting me all the information my child would need for the beginning of school and made both me and my daughter feel welcomed into the new district. My daughter is in the 5th grade and she absolutely loves her teachers and classes. She says her favorite part of school is knowing that anytime she needs help the teachers are always willing to help. Looking forward to a great year at JWI. After reading some of the reviews I was concerned that previous issues parents had would still be a problem but after learning that most staff from previous years had been replaced, I knew those changes were clearly for the better.

Posted January 17, 2013

Nurse Deborah Hackman at Joe Wilson Intermediate is what we need for our children. She gives us that extra push when we don't think it's necessary. Recently, my child was sent to the clinic and right away she called for me to come and pick him up for cold symptoms. When I arrived, I didn't think it was too serious, so I was going to take him home and give mom care. She gave me a form to be filled out and signed by a doctor, making sure he went. She said he was wheezing and needed to see the doctor. I really didn't think so, but I took him anyway. When we got there, the nurse rushed him to the back and gave my son breathing treatments and steriods which weren't enough. They had me to rush him to ER. The nurse in ER said he was so congested and his oxygen level was 88%. She said was good I brought him in when I did. I thank Nurse Deborah Hackman for being so aggressive at times and for caring for our children at Joe Wilson.

Posted August 27, 2012

This was the worst first day ever!!! They would not let the children and parents inside the door. The line was very long outside and some kids had their school supplies with them, some 2 bags full, not to mention it could have possibly rained. Of course, once you got inside it was no better. They had all the doors to the office locked so if you had a question there was no one to ask. Yes, some staff were in the hallway directing traffic but if they did not know something then they had to wait for someone in the office to open the door. While the lady in the office took her precious time to answer the door or even acknowledge that anyone was there. I hope that my child's teacher is a whole lot better than those running this show. This school has left a bad impression already and by the reviews it has not changed much, not even with new leadership!!

Posted August 30, 2010

This school is so bad. I've been tweeting. Hashtag #chisdworldclass on twitter. School hasn't even started good and it's drama. Did u know that if your child does not score a certain rating on the Iowa Test...he or she may not be able to take upper level/ AP courses. Test is tomorrow. So much for CHISD transparency. One bright spot is teachers seem more innovative this year. And the band teacher actually sent written communication of expectations. Too bad I have not received this from ELA, Reading, Science, Math, and Soc Studies. Too bad. They could take a tip from Music Dept. I expect core classes to lay ground work to practice academic discipline. Too bad. Some focus should be on academic discipline...teaching what it takes to succeed. And dont be fooled by TEA ratings. TEA ratings are on a sliding scale. Let's see if this school can even duplicate those

Posted June 22, 2010

I am so thrilled that school is over and my daughter is out of Joe Wilson. I must agree with the other parents that the teachers and staff are very unprofessional and don't care about the students. Now I have to look for another school to enroll my daughter in for the 6th grade all because Joe Wilson is not up to part to teach the students. I have another daughter and I hope by the time she has to go the 5th and 6th grade I really hope that Joe Wilson has upgraded. There is no positive energy there.

Posted May 11, 2010

Unfortunately the previous reviews are correct. I'm kicking myself everyday for sending my child to the environment at Joe Wilson. There are a FEW teachers that are genuinely there to teach, the others including the principals, are there for monetary gain. I could go on and on with negatives but I would rather use the energy to boost my childs self esteem because is it is lower everyday due to him being labeled negatively by a few teachers due to him not being challenged mentally......I will give them an E for effort!

Posted March 31, 2010

My experience with Joe Wilson Intermediate has been negative. My daughter has attended this school for 2 years. The office staff and principals are very unprofessional. You do not have access to principal or authority without an appointment. My daughter has been bullied for 2 years and there has been no accountability or very minimal concern from principal and staff. You never recieve response to concerns or return calls. I have requested parent conferences through out the year and have yet to recieve an appointment. but if my daughter misbehaves only then, i recieve notification. I have been concerned. i have made efforts to address these issues. But i can never ever get in contact with those indiviuals who are in position to resolve these matters. If my daughter fails or is injured then the blame is put on me. I am and have always been disgusted with this school.

Posted August 27, 2009

Well This school is great But one of the teachers........................................... ARE GREAT!

Posted June 3, 2009

The majority of the staff is unprofessional and lack the realization that they are servicing the community in which they work. Most of the staff that I have dealt with are unkind and uncaring towards the parents and students.

Posted June 3, 2009

I definitely encourage enrolling your child in Joe Wilson. Having just moved to the Dallas area, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. However, my daughter's fifth grade year turned out to be the best in her school career so far. I have no doubt her success on the TAKS test is the result of dedicated teachers and the high standards they set.

Posted June 3, 2009

As a parent how do you rate something that is not worth being rated. By far the worst school in CHISD. I will be so glad when this year is over. Parents are not involved in anything, join PTA they tell you and guess what you still are unaware of what goes on. Very bad school to put a child in.

Posted May 26, 2009

Joe Wilson needs a complete overhaul starting from the top down. Leadership is obviously lacking because certain teachers are unqualified, unresponsive, and unconcerned with true student achievement, and there is no accountability. 5th grade math in particular was a joke and very frustrating working with the teacher who offered nothing useful, and once we transferred to a new district, our child's grades improved from C's to A's once the gaps in teaching were filled by a truly dedicated teacher that WILL work with the students and parents to ensure reaching optimum student potential. Look at the TEA school rating for JWI and the other reviews by parents, and I am sure you will see that my views are part of the majority, and hopefully the powers that be will respond.

Posted March 11, 2009

I am very disappointed with JWI. The negative experience we have endured at this campus relates very closely to the other parent reviews previously posted. Unfortunately, lack of communication, parent involvement and unqualified teachers in certain subjects happen to exist at this school.

Posted May 27, 2008

The school needs a great deal of work. My son who is in the 6th grade this year told me everyday that he did not learn a thing. With the exception of a few teachers, the staff is completely incompentent. I was very disappointed with the teachers. However, the nurse was awesome. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 7, 2008

If this campus would spend more time educating and less time training students to pass state tests, I would consider referring to this building as a 'school'. Sadly, this is just a glorified but incompetent daycare.

Posted April 25, 2008

Joe Wilson is a school that need to close down completely. The front desk staff all the way to the principals are there receive a pay check. My child came from a private school where focus wasn't just on a test but the overall learning abilities. She always made A-B and now barely passing with C only because this school is behind and she bored. Tried talking to teachers and staff and nothing worked so I understand why the parents aren't envolved.

Posted September 7, 2007

My daughter attended JWI until I had her transfered to West Intermediate her 6th grade. I have seen a tremendous difference for the better! The administration at JWI was beyond disappointing. My daughter has special needs and it was a constant battle to have JWI do as there were supposed to. Not recommended by any means.

Posted August 2, 2007

I do not recommend JWI. My daughter attended JWI and it was the worst 2 years of her life thus far. She had constant problems with bullies and no help from administration , teachers or the officers assigned to the school.I was disappointed in the administration, since I'd known most of the teachers and the principal from her prior school. My daughter has always excelled academically, and has consistantly recognized TAKS scores. This is not a safe school for your child.

Posted February 9, 2007

I say don't enroll your child here. My Daughter went to this school both years and in fifth grade she dealt with a horrible teacher who favored her students and if you weren't her favorite she treated you really badly and tried the best way she could to make you miserable. In the sixth grade it was many complications with teachers and students. The children were out of control and the teachers just diddn't care. I can't say it was all the teachers but the majority were useless.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

196 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

200 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

200 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

175 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

174 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students86%

Not special education84%
Proficient in English84%
Not migrant83%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

297 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students72%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

• TASHARA TUCK
Fax number
  • (972) 291-5213

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now