Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Given that our child's teacher was adamant that our child was hers during the school day and proud that she wasn't going to be telling parents what goes on during their child's school day, I'd say that the complete lack of willing communication and transparency is contrary to aiding the development of honesty and integrity in the schools students.

There is no way that this school is an 8. It is a Title 1 school. Prior to starting Kindergarten, my child was reciting the alphabet completely, counting to 100 unassisted, knew primary and secondary colors and more. The class has literally spent a whole day on one color at a time and has been working on counting to 5. There is no communication from the school to the parents - not even when my child got hurt by another student and had to go to the school nurse. We are actively looking to move out of this school district and into another regardless if we have to change schools during the school year. The PTO is a solid joke and seems to be in place to placate parents who actually take an interest in the school as few teachers deign to attend any of the meetings. If you don't have a choice but to have your child attend, I recommend documenting everything and trying to be a consistent presence in your child's classroom.

We researched the schools before relocating here. It seemed to be a great school. Registration was great. After starting school both my children in 1st and 3rd grade have had problems with teachers and students. My daughter was poked in the eye by another student requiring doctors care. My son the next week had been spit on, shoved into a metal pole and hit by students. I have had no calls from any teacher or adult letting me know of these occurrences. I had to call and ask about it, and then was told it had happened. My son started having night terrors and does not want to return to school there. There is no parent involvement with homework or any projects. I feel the teachers have too many students to handle. I was yelled at by the principle for driving in the bus area (in which I did not know was the bus area we had just moved here and it was not clearly marked). I just don't feel this is a caring school.

We just moved here recently and researched all the schools in the area for several months before moving. SWV was on the top of my list of schools we wanted and I am very pleased. Our teacher this year is amazing! Others have told me that their teachers are great also. So far, I'm very happy with this school!

Last modified Southwood Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.