Glenhope Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 473 students

Our school is known for academic achievement and trying to meet student needs.

Posted August 17, 2014

Our experience has been excellent . We find the teachers committed and capable of adapting to the varying needs of the students, while maintaining academic rigor. Strong involvement on the part of the local parents, good PTA and many opportunities for kids to pursue accelerated learning if you ask.

Posted October 23, 2013

This school is amazing! Motivated staff, very high level of education, interest for the kids, extra-curriculum opportunities, everything shows that this is just a very good school. By the way, I am appaled by the three previous negative comments, which seem to be all coming from the same frustrated person who apparently had a kid dumped from the GT program or something. The program, now called Aspire, seems very well developed, with kids coming from schools from all around the area!

Posted June 5, 2012

As a past reviewer stated, Glenhope has many well-hidden issues. The quality of teachers and teaching is varied and inconsistent - it seems some kids get lucky while others have to suffer through, with only lip service from the administration as a response to parental concerns. The PTA resembles a sorority, full of cliques and gossip about kids. The academic needs of the gifted/advanced learners are generally ignored; the kids falling behind, however, get plenty of tutoring opportunities and extra help. Although Glenhope is a Title I campus, with a relatively large Title I population, there is an obvious social gap between the Title I kids and the neighborhood kids, including the parents. The administration either chooses to ignore the many problems in the classrooms, or lacks the strong leadership skills necessary to correct them. Many good and educated families are leaving or have already left because of academic and social concerns. Glenhope has so many resources that could make it a great school, but unfortunately, if the main office does not immediately and effectively address the many internal problems, many more families will leave.

Posted May 31, 2012

Glenhope is beautifully located, safe and has some great campus resources, but unfortunately those are its only positives. Research beyond the test scores before deciding to attend, and talk to the many well-educated families that have left so far. There are some wonderful teachers at Glenhope, including the P.E., Spanish, and Art teachers, but there are also some that are very disappointing, including the administration. The school appears to be high-achieving, and when comparing the past TAKS scores, it is. But beyond the standardized test material, there is little support and enthusiasm for true learning. Kids that are on the advanced/gifted spectrum tend to be negatively labeled, their eagerness restrained and their academic needs ignored. The gifted population of this school is low relative to other campuses, so investigate before sending a gifted learner here - he/she may spend a lot of time with their head "down on the desk." The curriculum lacks rigour and substance, and the families that have expressed concern have been given lip service. The ipads in the classrooms can not change the serious defects of this school; a leader with some gravitas would.

Posted May 27, 2012

This school practically destroyed my son's self-esteem. You couldn't pay our family enough money to ever return to this school. Students from very good homes and educated parents are leaving this school right and left. Some of the teachers at this school have very serious personal issues that they bring to their classrooms. This school needs to learn how to let go of unsatisfactory teachers. Really check this school out before attending. They have a lot of very well-hidden issues. Glenhope reminds me of a cupcake made with too much salt. They may look appetizing on the outside, but when you get to the real core of this school's functioning unit it is not at all appealing or appetizing.

Posted February 14, 2012

We have been completely blown away by this school! We have a 4th grader who is participating in PAT at Glenhope and just relocated back to the area during the winter break and were concerned he was not going to get to attend his old school (Heritage). And we have to tell you, it has been absolutely AMAZING!! The teachers, as well as other staff greeted him by his first name the second day of school. We were really impressed with the diversity of the school and how it is encouraged and embraced. The teachers immediately took an interest in him; he has made great friends and absolutely LOVES it there. He came home the first 3 weeks of school talking about how much he loved it and how he was getting up to go to school with "passion." Mrs. Graham, Mrs. Waters, Ms. Hayes, Mrs. Medi, Mrs. Derrick, and Coaches Allan and Coffee are great. This school was also rated #10 best school out of over 740 schools in 24 districts and the best elementary school in our immediate area. We could go on and on, but to sum it up-it is and amazing school, with great teachers and great staff and has far surpassed and continues to surpass our expectations every day. A 10 out of 10. 5 out of 5 stars.

Posted December 30, 2011

Both of my children transfer from OC Taylor. The teachers and the principal at Glenhope are fabulous. The staff really tries to meet each child at the level they are at and lift them as high as they can go. The special teachers in music, PE, and Spanish are wonderful too. The only thing I did not like was the PAT program, (Gifted and Talented Program.) That class was a waste of time.

Posted November 27, 2010

I attended Glenhope from Fall 1996 to Spring 1999. It was brand new back then, and I still love the location of it being tucked up on a high surrounded by houses. This is a great public school. I couldn't get into the Gifted and Talented program, but it all worked out when I got to CTMS and GHS where I could shine. I learned sight-reading, so hopefully they have gotten rid of that experiment. This school has great teachers and an amazing community focused on education.

Posted July 22, 2010

Laura Fillmore in the pre-k special ed program is the best teacher. This campus houses the districts only full day pre-k program.

Posted November 11, 2009

My son has attended Glenhope for a year now and we couldn't be more satisfied. We transferred from a local private school and believe EVERYTHING at Glenhope is better. We are pleased with the academic standards and have found all the teachers and administration to be top notch. We highly recommend this school!

Posted August 8, 2008

my son was in the PPCD program last year with ms. fillmore as his main teach (ms. jane assistant teacher). both teachers are excellent and i couldn't have been more happy with my son's first experience in the PPCD program. Highly recommend this school for PPCD kiddos!

Posted May 28, 2008

My daughter is finishing kindergarten at Glenhope and has had an incredible year. I cannot believe how good the curriculum is and how much she LOVES school! She has learned more than I had ever imagined in one school year. Their science program was superb...even bringing in eggs for the children to watch hatch...not to mention lots of extra activities like pj/pizza party, visiting a farm, sock hop, etc. The only negative part of this school is the front office. The people are unfriendly/rude and give inaccurate information.

Posted June 12, 2007

I have a son that was in the special ed. program at Glenhope in the 2005-2006 school year. It was horrible. Every one did just enough to get by. Luckily, we were building a home in a neighborhood that attended a school 3 mins. from Glenhope, O.C. Taylor, and their sp. ed. program has been incredible. Higher goals set and achieved, better communication, we work as a team! Shame on Glenhope for letting these children down!

Posted May 29, 2007

The teachers and staff of Glenhope are very involved with the students and as an example, the principal knows every child and parent by name. A very large volunteer base and an involved Dad's club adds to the success of the Glenhope approach to keeping kids motivated towards learning and personal growth.

Posted February 8, 2007

We love this school. Everyone is so nice and helpful!

Posted September 18, 2006

I am a retired teacher and the grandparent of two students at Glenhope. One is in kindergarten and the other in second grade. As a retired educator, I am interested in their education. They both had gone to Montessori for several preschool years. My daughter, their mother, communicates to me about a lot of what goes on at Glenhope. Before the second grader started kindergarten, she asked me to visit the school with her. We talked with the principal. I was very impressed with her professionalism and knowledge about curriculum. The staff appears to be very interested in knowing what their students know and what to teach students at various levels so that their needs are met. I see my grandchildren about four times a year for extended times. I am very impressed with the second grader's progress. And, the kindergartner loves school and is very excited about the learning presented.

Posted November 22, 2005

I must admit, I was initially reluctant to leave the charter school my children attended before moving to Glenhope, but I am actually more please with Glenhope. I find that the mandates placed on the school by the state are not treated as a burden, but are creatively attacked and, as far as I can tell, achieved. Glenhope offers a small subpopulation of comparatively less privileged children in an area of affluency that only makes it more genuine, as I see it. I'm regularly surprized at the quality and balance of education and nurturing coming from a public school. I wish I were involved with the school enough to be more accurate on my category ratings, but I am not alone in thinking we have an excellent principal and a majority of excellent teachers, none of which I would rate less than good. Glenhope rocks!

Posted June 28, 2005

This school is very popular and liked by many. The school academic programs were very good, with high standards for the children. There seemed to be a wide range of different programs/classed available for the children (i.e. spanish, art, P.E.) including after school sport programs on campus. Parents were very involved in my son's kindergarden class and other activities. With that said, we did have issues with the school. In our opinion they favor females and do not tolerate normal little boy behavior. We were often sent home notes from our son's kindergarden teacher stating that he was in trouble for 'being silly'. Overall, the school is good. Just be careful with the teacher you recieve for your child. Be sure to write a letter with any particular traits you would like your child's teacher to possess (i.e method of discipline) to better match your child with the appropriate teacher.

Posted May 5, 2004

My daughters have received an excellent education at Glenhope. The teachers are warm and encouraging. Our Principal and Vice Pricipal are fully invested in the performance of the students and do a fantastic job running our school. As the deaf ed campus for GCISD all students previously participated in sign language education. This was an interesting aspect of our campus. With budget cuts, sign language is avaialable now as an after-school club. I wish it could be brought back for all students. The school has a very active Dad's Club and a great sense of community. While I wish we had more computer education, art, music and Spanish I realize these are reduced due to budget limitations in the ISD. I am very pleased with the overall Glenhope experience. Go Gators!

Posted May 28, 2003

We are fortunate our kids are able to attend Glenhope Elementary School. I have been very impressed with the level of achievement the kids have been working on. I feel our children are getting as good as an education as some of the very best private schools. Our teachers are well prepared and work exceptionally hard to make sure our kids learn and score well on achievement tests. We have a very good principal, too.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

59 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

59 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

73 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

69 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

70 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

70 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

71 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students97%

Not special education98%
Proficient in English99%
Not migrant99%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students92%

Proficient in English70%
Not migrant70%
Not Gifted64%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 10% 4%

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • WYNETTE GRIFFIN
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (817) 329-5618

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Music
  • Bell / Handbell choir
  • Choir / Chorus

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Visit

Preschool
Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Cross Timbers Middle