Jones Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 588 students

Posted March 16, 2014

My school is an exceptional place for scholars to learn and grow. I highly recommend it to anyone moving to this area. Luther Jones builds lifelong learners with an environment of success.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 9, 2013

I have two children attending Luther Jones during the past three years. The awesome, to be greatly missed principal retired this spring and while I miss her greatly, the new principal appears to be coming up to speed and genuinely cares about the school, its traditions, and the students. We have had very good to inspirational teachers - and one that I didn't personally care for - but WE worked together to make the best for my child. I've found the office staff to be professional; the counselor to professional... The PTA is ACTIVE in the school and fundraisers are just part of the deal. I'm so thankful for LJE; it's been a Wonderful experience and my children love going to school. What could be better than that?

Posted May 8, 2012

My daughter has been attending LJE for kindergarten this school year. She's learned to read and has really had a great time this year. I love this school and am renewing my lease at my very overpriced apartment complex just so she can continue to attend here. I think LJE is the best in the city.

Posted June 25, 2011

My daughters had the priviledge of attending Jones Elementary. My youngest just finished her last year at Jones. I found the teachers to be extremely motivating and caring. I felt my daughters were challenged and well prepared for middle school. The school has zero tolerance for bullying, and my daughters always felt safe going to school. I was very impressed with this school and highly recommend it to everyone.

Posted June 13, 2011

As a former student at LJE--I can honestly say that I am able to look back on my experience at this wonderful establishment with pride. Included in the school are specific classes geared towards more rigorous learning for those students who perhaps learn at a faster pace and need more of a challenging atmosphere. Even as a college student, I still keep in touch with my friends from the playground--my best friends will agree with me in saying that LJE is the best way to go. They have a fantastic Special Education program that I have witnessed grow over the years--full of caring, patient, educators that their kids absolutely adore! If your child is in need of specific care or certain programs, this school's Special Education program is going to be your best choice! I can't say enough good things about this school--I have been a volunteer/observer at many elementary schools in the area and stand by my claim that the people at LJE sure know what they're doing!

Posted June 13, 2011

My child needed specific care and I found the special education program at Jones Elementary to be so very helpful and kind. The staff are great communicators and my son is consistently saying great things about his day in the classroom. The dedication that was shown both to me and my son really sealed the deal when deciding whether or not to keep him at this school--(we have changed quite a few times in the past)--needless to say, we have found our fit!

Posted June 2, 2011

Having three children, 15, 11, 10, we have been at Luther Jones for the past 11 years. Jones is a fantastic school and has helped form a solid foundation of academics for my children. In particular, my 11yr old was diagnosed with dyslexia in 1st grade, he was then placed in the special education department at Jones. Being in the care of the two specialed. teachers, he has overcome many hardships and is doing well with his education. This is his last year, he has passed and will be entering middle school. He could not have done it without the help of the teachers in the special education department. They are an asset to this school, community and the students they teach.

Posted June 2, 2011

My daughter attended LJE as a 3rd and 4th grader. The atmosphere at this amazing school is just electric! The "scholars" are encouraged to use every ounce of the day to learn and grow. The curriculum is challenging, and the supportive attitude of the staff is wonderful. Parent participation is actively sought out, and parents are treated with respect by administration and staff. One outstanding event is the student lead open house held each year. Hearing your child explain interdependence and structures and how they relate to the different curriculum areas is an experience beyond compare! I recommend this amazing school without reservation!

Posted June 2, 2011

I have been a special education teacher at Luther Jones for 11 years. I LOVE this group of dedicated and talented professionals. Each scholar is encouraged to celebrate their own unique gifts, and the teachers do everything in their power to help develop these gifts. Parents, administrators and staff work together to create an amazing learning atmosphere for the scholars. My daughter is a former Marlin, and as a parent I am thrilled with the confidence and creativity she demonstrates in her approach to learning. As a high school junior, she still makes a special effort to come and visit her beloved teachers. Please bring your child to us- we will love them and provide them with an amazing opportunity to grow and learn!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 17, 2011

Luther Jones is a gem of a school. The teachers, principals and staff are all excellent at what they do and are all very approachable. Jones welcomes parent volunteers with open arms. Perhaps the best compliment I can give to the school is that it is such a warm environment. My children wake up each morning looking forward to going to school. As a military family, we know we will move in the near future. LJE is one of the things we will miss most about Corpus Christi.

Posted February 27, 2011

The rating system is used throughout the ccisd district It is meant to showcase good behavoir and shame bad behavior Thats what good parents should do also. I am glad that schools are now getting away from evryone gets an award mentality.

Posted September 17, 2010

This school claims to be for parent-involvement, but really doesn't want your two cents. Teachers and Principal get defensive when simple questions are asked of them. Also, this school have a color-coded behavior system for the child's behavior each day. This system seems meant to shame the child and is extremely negative, although this school claims to be full of positive energy---how ironic.

Posted May 25, 2010

This is a great school. It is sad that people use there own personal vendetta to rate this school low. Other schools send their teachers to train here so that should tell you something. Please disregard the negative feelings of 1 parent who is probably not happy anywhere

Posted April 28, 2010

The person who says 'only parents whose children have problems rate the school low' is wrong. I rate this school low. My daughter is an A student and would be anywhere. This school rates low because it has too many busy body staff member, too many rules, too much emphasis on reading writing to the detriment of other subjects, and too much of the administration trying to take on the role of parent.

Posted April 27, 2010

Luther Jones Elementary has been ranked #1 Best of the Best Elementary School in the entire Coastal Bend for 11 years in a row, and for good reason! The teachers and staff absolutely love children. The instructional methods are phenomenal, designed for gifted and talented and used for everyone, and the scholars truly know that the expectations for their success are very high. They believe in themselves and they love to come to school. This is the most dedicated group of scholars you will find anywhere, from the parents, principals, teachers, all the way UP to every scholar in the school! These scholars are great thinkers who love a challenge! We highly recommend Luther Jones!

Posted April 27, 2010

I am the proud parent of two Mighty Marlins. Both of my children have attended Luther Jones Elementary since Kindergarten. Both of my children qualified as Gifted and Talented, repeatedly. We chose, every year, to keep our children at this school because we firmly believe it offers them a top notch education in a positive, safe, and loving environment. Luther Jones Elementary offers students many opportunities to succeed and provides them with the tools they need to do it. This is a public school with the family atmosphere of a private school. The teachers, staff, and principal are the BEST! Most importantly, they expect the best from each and every student and each and every parent. We love our Luther Jones Family!!!

Posted March 6, 2009

My three children were all blessed to have attended this incredible school! They had loving, dedicated teachers who went s far above and beyond what was expected, to ensure that EVERY child was successful and felt loved. The success my kids had in secondary school and on into college is attributed to the wonderful foundation they received at Jones. This school has a heart as big as Texas, and I would recommend it to any parent. No need to choose private school as an alternative: Save your money for college, and send your child to Luther Jones Elementary!

Posted March 5, 2009

Reading the other reviews is strange because we have had a totally different experience at Luther Jones. My child is just a number at this school. I have had such a frustrating experience at this school my child will be switching to private next year. If you don't mind your child being lost in the crowd and not being encouraged even in the slightest way this is your school. Otherwise, keep looking because Luther Jones is seriously lacking where it counts.

Posted August 28, 2007

Jones Elementary is an outstanding school. The faculty and staff are the kind of people that you can trust to take care of your children. All students are taught as if they are in a talented/gifted program, and it shows in their work and their attitudes. I have two children at Jones. We are very happy with the school and would recommend it to anyone.

Posted January 15, 2006

So far so good. I think the extracurricular activities are great and numerous and the teachers are very helpful.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

101 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

116 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

126 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

125 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

123 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students94%

Not special education92%
Proficient in English93%
Not migrant93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students85%

Proficient in English70%
Not migrant70%
Not Gifted70%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7533 Lipes Boulevard