9-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am a staff member at the school. The school has such a positive atmosphere. The students are here to learn and give. I enjoy going to work everyday.
October 11, 2016

Bad
Good

Develops character:
SCHOOL LEADER
Character development is a strong component at the school. This is taught daily and in all classes. Community service is a requirement which all students participate and give to their community.

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
The teachers are very effective. They care about their students and their success. The teachers go over and above to teach their students.

Amount of homework:
SCHOOL LEADER
The students are required to do homework in order to practice their skills. It is an understood requirement. After completing high school each student is prepared for college.

Message to families
Posted October 11, 2016

Both my children attended Incarnate Word Academy for 7 years and received a superb education. They both now attend Major Universities in the north and are excelling and I commend IWA for giving them this college preparatory they needed. My children are not Catholic and were never treated any different than the Catholic children....The stress Christianity and to be good moral young people.

I never thought to leave a review of IHS until I had children, and now I realize the importance. This was my personal experience and although it happened about 25 years ago, I feel it is still valid. Personally, I feel that IHS is a farce to speak lightly. If you are NOT CATHOLIC, expect your children to be shunned and/or ostracized by most staff. I along with the few other non-Catholic children were removed from regular courses and placed together in isolated classes away from others. This was not conducive to any formative educational experience and created a feeling of inadequacy. I was good an promising student before IHS and attribute my experiences there to further troubles I had in my youth. If any staff had progressive thoughts or teachings outside or within the subject matter , they were quickly removed and replaced. For example, I had six ENGLISH/ Literature teachers within one year. BEWARE of this 'school' and its' hypocrisy.

My son enjoys IWA. It has a rigorous curriculum and has a positive environment. If looking for small classroom sizes and opportunites to participate in various activities IWA is for your child.

Last modified Incarnate Word Academy High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12