Millsap Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 782 students

Posted September 10, 2014

I feel as if in milsap they don't give the children time to be children. Recess is too short and during lunch they are not allowed to talk. It seems to me that the teachers are pushed by the district to push as much as they can into the students' head and expect them to remember everything in a really short time period. Noise travels exceptionally since the walls are only room dividers. I do not recommend this school for children who have difficulty paying attention or children who cannot sit down for long periods of time.

Posted April 3, 2014

I feel as though the teachers are being pushed too hard and in turn are demanding too much of their students academically. They are not focusing on allowing students to learn to deal with everyday life situations while in school. My child is in Kindergarten and while I understand these are different times, I believe the teachers are being forced to forego the normal teachings of social skills and social interaction during the class so that they can meet the government's academic requirements in order to get funded. That is a shame. Young children are not learning the basics of what kindergarten should be like. They get in trouble in the class room for talking, AND they get in trouble during their 30 minute lunch if they talk then too. I feel like the teachers try to do a good job, but are overwhelmed by this bureaucratic nonsense. this translates to the teachers putting a lot of stress on the young children. I can understand that the school would demand that much academic fullfilment from higher grades, but not from kindergarteners who should be learning colors, abc's and social interaction. The lack of this teachings results in children being intolerant.

Posted November 6, 2012

My son is in kindergarten this year, and his teacher has over 35 years of experience. She has been a God-send! The school itself has strong parent involvement. They have a fall festival that well organized, and I saw many parents, teachers, and administrators out there with happy faces having fun with the kids. The kids, teachers, and parents are now getting ready for field day, which we are looking forward to as well! Many parents are also involved with this as well. We've only been a part of Millsap for a little over two months, but I've been impressed. My son is reading by sounding out words, which is just awesome. The teachers have been positive working with his endless energy. My son also seems to be very aware of the world around him whether it be honoring veterans (and knowing what they do for our country) or the current presidential election. My only complaint would be the size of the classes. My son's teacher works long hours to keep things running smoothly, but has added nearly ten kids since the first day due to budget cuts. I'd like to thank the teachers and the parents of this school for making this such an amazing place for my child to go to school.

Posted May 30, 2012

I have had two boys attend this school, the youngest is in his last year. I think this school does all it can to be the best, I, like others have had a few bad incidents but all in all it has been a very good experience for my boys. The new Principle did supposedly take away the Horizons program, but it still went on, however my oldest son still acheived high grades thanks to the Teachers involved! My youngest son has a medical condition and the teachers where aware of it but did not make him feel like he was special while keeping an eyue on him, so THANK YOU teachers of Milsap for doing all that you do!

Posted November 10, 2011

This school has really improved in the last few years with the help of the new principal. The school is rated exemplary for the 3rd year in a row. The school is ranked as #1 with 306 other schools for the writing TAKS test. The passing rate was 100%. Only 3 schools in Cy-Fair accomplished this feat. I am proud that I spent my elementary years at this school. I went for a visit and found teachers who are still there. That is 15-25 years some have been at Millsap. That is dedication!

Posted May 8, 2011

I have 2 children that go to Millsap ages 6 & 9. This is there second year enrolled at the school and I think overall the school is between a 3.5 and a 4 our of 5. The only reason it is not higher is because I feel that some of the teachers lack good communication skills. My 6 years olds current 1st grade teacher is phenomenal at keeping me notified threw emails, notes home, or phone calls. But the flip side to that is that my 9 years olds teachers do not communicate nearly as well. Emails take days to be replied too phone calls and messages will go unanswered and notes to the school will go with out a response. I do find that when ever I want to set up a meeting and meet with the teachers they are always more then willing which is good but who has time to constantly go to the school to have small questions answered. The speech program is also phenomenal. My 6 year old was enrolled in the program this school year and his language skills have improved by leaps and bounds. The school has a lot of activities for the kids and many opportunities for the parents to get involved. If all the teachers could communicate like Mrs. Hunt. The school would be outstanding.

Posted January 5, 2010

I have always received great communication with Millsap. We have sent 4 children though and have loved it... and then the new principle came in after Christmas break in 2008-2009 school year. She has taken away the Honor roll completely! I found out about it by a series of coinsidences, otherwise I would have never heard about it. She has hidden this from the parents! Crazy! A quote from one of the PTO leaders to me 'she doesn't want to make the kids who don't make honor roll feel bad.' WHAT! The woman who told me was devistated and crying about it as she tore down the honor roll display cabinet. She is trying very hard to level all the kids' playing fields. That's not fair to my kids. Why should my kids have to be held down to wait for others to catch up? We used to be proud to go to Millsap.

Posted August 6, 2009

I'd like to respond to the communication post because Millsap is extrodinary about sending home weekly letters to the entire parent population. What I love most about the way they communicate is that the teachers are always willing to meet with me on any need I have with child. Another EXCELLENT think I love about Millsap is the focus on quality instruction. They have been Exemplary for over 2 years and their results are very impressive!

Posted February 17, 2009

We are very disappointed. There is no communications here and we have impression that people who works there are self centered and interested in paycheck only.

Posted July 29, 2008

I am the parent of a special needs child. I've been nothing but happy with the individual care my child receives. The teachers communicate with me on a regular basis and my child is getting a supurb education. I've chosen to commute farther to work so that my child can be at this school. We love it.

Posted May 28, 2008

I'm amazed at the reviews this school has gotten. It has it's problems just like any other school, but it is nothing like what has been described in the reviews. I'm thinking all the 'parents' who've left negative ratings are just frustrated with their child's performance here. Millspa does have a challenging curriculum and has high behavior standards. My guess is that thier children aren't cutting it, and they are simply venting that frustration. Which is fine, but don't bring down an establishment on account of your shortcomings. This is an amazing school to be a part of--any student would be lucky to grow up here!

Posted July 30, 2007

Boo! Hiss! This is one lousy school because of an extraordinarily incompetent administration that only cares about thier own problems and desires. Your children not only will be at risk educationally, but will be at risk from a safety standpoint. They habitually fail to call when a child gets hurt.

Posted March 9, 2007

Twelve years ago, we purchased our home to be in the right 'zone' after researching the school districts in Harris and contiguous counties. They did away with year-round-school the following year to my dismay. Mrs. Collins was a delight who by instilling the desire to learn in early primary school more than made up for the perceived loss. I wanted her to teach first grade to all five of my boys so we stayed in the district. We lost Mrs. Collins, great teachers and officials to a new school. At present we struggle with administration and have frequent incidents where both the administration and the teaching staff, at the behest of administration, are inappropriate. They seem to have forgotten why they are there and my son is getting most of what he learns daily at home. It is very sad to have watched this once-great-school decay into what you see today.

Posted July 11, 2006

I am a step-mother to 3 children that have attended Milsap and the communication to me and the father of those 3 children from milsap was basically non-existant.

Posted December 13, 2004

Eventhough it is not a top rated school, it is still good. The Gift and talented program is not very well implemented here.

Posted January 21, 2004

The teachers at this school and the parent involvement make this school number one in my book. My 3rd grader is studying math skills that my engineer husband has to think long and hard to solve. My 1st grader is getting such a great background in reading that I am amazed. I've learned that any school can be great if parents are involved and are willing to partner with their child's teacher. The parent volunteer group here makes it an amazing place. These volunteers give so many hours and raise funds so that the teachers can focus on teaching.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

128 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

127 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

139 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

138 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

135 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

118 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

116 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students98%

Limited English proficient (LEP)75%
Proficient in English94%
Not migrant93%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Male85%

Not economically disadvantaged95%
Proficient in English97%
Not Gifted97%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12424 Huffmeister Road