Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School

Public | 9-12 | 193 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 23, 2008

i am a student that attend irma rangel. i have been going to irma rangel since sixth grade and this will be my last year in middle school at irma rangel. i will go to irma rangel until 12th grade. irma rangel is a good school depending on the person. for me irma rangel is a good school. the only thing that bother me is that almost everything we do is educational and the only sport they have is lacrosse. but other than that it is an awesome school! jus because we dont have boys dont mean we dont have fun. we have fun jus like regular schools. and we have kind of a lot of free dress days. its cool. the teachers can sometimes be hard on you, and give alot of projects. but its worth going.

Posted April 23, 2008

I am a parent now of this school. We have been here for three years. I was planning on perhaps leaving for high school and had a change of heart. I am so happy that we did not leave Irma Rangel. My daughter is having the best high school experience being involved in the school. The teachers are actually concerned that the students are learning and consistently challenging the students. There is a real comradarie amoung these girls and they will make terrific leaders in the very near future.

Posted April 12, 2008

i go there and i love because i can actually get my work done with out the distractions from the boys my grades are superb.

Posted February 27, 2008

I have been very disappointment in the involvement and dedication of the teachers and especially the principal. If you have a daugther that has a learning disability, or any type of focus issues, the staff will pretty much give up and let your child fail. I can't believe a school that talks so much about leadership and development of young women have so little interest in having them strive to meet their goals. Don't let you daughter go to this school unless they are the perfect student.

Posted February 7, 2008

I am a current High School Student at this school. While attending this fine institution may seem great, it truly is not. I often worry if the people who run the school know what they are doing. I feel that we are way behind and I don't feel that we are doing the nessasry things we need to be doing, that a high school should be doing. While Irma Rangel Y.W.L.S. offers many great oppurtunities, there seems to be a lack of interest in some students and teachers. My expereince with teachers has been awful. I thought teachers were supposed to make a difference in your life. I do think that Irma Rangel makes a good junior High, but an awful high school. I do not recommend this school watsoever for any high school student.

Posted January 31, 2008

As a new teacher at Irma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School, I am in heaven. After feeling the fustration of urban public school, I truly found myself at a great school here. The students are extremely inteligent and willing to learn. That commitment to their education is truly unkeen. As part of the H.S. staff we are trying to offer more extra curricular activities for our girls. Non the less, It is a fabolous school, one in which I would proudly want my daughter to attend!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 11, 2008

I am a current high-school student (I've been with the school since it opened), and I feel that while some of the teachers are dedicated towards their students, there are others who could honestly care less and leave their class to more or less shift for themselves. And while the administration is undoubtedly talented, they are unused to a high school campus, and with it, high-schoolers (we lack a high-school counselor). Unfortunately, the administration tries to force their views upon us, and many of the girls feel oppressed when they are unable to present their opinions to the administrators without having their ideas shot down immmediately. I enjoy my classmates and friends, but I think that the school itself needs some work: more extracurriculars that the students are actually interested in; more sports (like volleyball or even tennis); and more say for the students.

Posted December 5, 2007

I have to say I have mixed feelings about the school. Depending on the teacher your child has you will find out how interested they are in helping your child succeed. We have had a lack of support from several teachers and the counselor. It seems that unless your child is the perfect student, that they will not offer much assistance. I feel the idea of this school and the options they offer are are very good, but beware if you have a child that may need some additional help you may not get alot of assistance from the faculty.

Posted December 3, 2007

Irma Rangel Young Women's Leadrership School is a very good school.I have been a student here for almost four years.I love the school and I wouldnt leave because I like the enviornment.

Posted July 5, 2007

I am a student in Irma Rangel who will be going on to high school next year. I think it is a wonderful school, and Ive learned alot of things, from educational lessons, all the way to life lessons. Of course, every school needs to improve on something, and I think Irma Rangel Ywls needs to have more extra curricular activities and things, we students need to get involved in, and also we need to have less homework than usual. Even so, the teachers are incredible. They understand you, and know how to teach you the right way. Overall, I think Irma Rangel Ywls is a very good school!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 23, 2007

The idea of the school is very good, and the teachers are wonderful, however the administration of the school is lacking. The school's principle had never been in chare of a high school and hasn't a clue about high school curriculum or extracurricular activities. Whenever she is is reproached about anything by student or staff she uses the ' we are a new school excuse' ( though the school has been in exsistence for 3 years now). The majority of high school students did not recieve any books weel into the middle of the first semester. The school is also did not understand the concept of HIGH SCHOOl credits. The current tenth grade class was misinformed last year, and were givern a speech class that did not meet the requiremnts in order for them to recieve a speech credit. The school is a work in progress. I don't sugest the high-school.

Posted February 8, 2006

Irma Rangel YWLS is a wonderful experience for the girls who were allowed to attend. With classes and activities all devoted to the learning experience, they have already outshown all other schools in the district with their impressive test scores, special talents, and charm. Next year, the school will be moved to the Chappie James Learning Center and hopefully, more students, more teachers, and more chances to learn and become better people will arise.

Posted October 14, 2005

The curriculum is all Pre-AP. English, maths and sciences are rigorous and expectations are high. Latin has been available and there is also a strings program. The school has been diligent in seeking out extracurricular programs during the summer and making these known to the families. There are also a number of great after school clubs like academic decathlon; however, it is unclear how many families are really taking advantage of these wonderful opportunities. Sports are limited because the school lacks a proper gynasium, but physical education is offered. The student body is pretty diverse. It's an urban school and it reflects the social realities of a large city. At the same time, the school does an excellent job of keeping good order and discipline. The building is small but it was constructed at a time when Americans really cared about their public buildings and it has been totally refurbished.

Posted August 3, 2005

The teachers and their great attitudes make the academics for the school the very best. Our girls are all college bound. Our girls have been very blessed with extracurricular activities and programs many of which are supported by the Foundation for the Education of Young Women. We will have a Lacrosse team, which is being started by a Hockaday mother working with the national Lacrosse Sport Development Department. The Cooper Institute will be working on a Wellness program promoting healthy living habits: eating the right foods, being active by exercising and keeping healthy, mentally and physically. The school has a fantastic Science program planned for this year. Parents are very involved in school activities as these girls show great academic promise.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted April 10, 2005

I am a student at Irma Rangel All Girls School. This has been a great year for me so far. My teachers are absolutely wonderful. They are the most supportive and helpful teachers I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Since I have started my voyage to success at IRYWLS I have done nothing but outstanding work. Before this year I was often destracted by boys and I allowed them to influence me and my education, but at Irma Rangel there are no distractions. I enjoy going to school everyday because there are ladies there with the same intentions that I have, which is to succeed in the male dominated work force. In this short year that I have been at Rangel I have been taught everything from etiquette to leadership. I think that this is the best working enviroment that a public school could ever offer a student.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Non-Gifted94%

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music