Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School

Public | 9-12 | 193 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 2, 2010

I am a student Irma l. Rangel YWLS. I have been at the school from the very beginning. I have had such a wonderful time here. The school has prepared me for what I am about to face in college, from applying to the work I will have. I have also made some of the best connections ever. You always watch movies or television shows where the teacher does not care about the student just their pay check, and at some schools it is true but at Rangel the teacher really do care about us and not just in our education. Yes the education does come first to them but they become more than just a teacher the become a person you can go to for advice, a role model, a friend. That that is probably one of the reasons why the school is so successful because the people who work there love what they do, and can't wait for school to start each day.

Posted April 22, 2010

They have outstanding school administrators who help young ladies become all they can be!

Posted November 11, 2009

This school has really changed - and for the better. The staff is more invovled with the students. The curriculum of the girls mostly includes Pre-AP and AP classes. There are enough sports to keep the girls happy. The location is perefect - right next to many museums and the Musical Hall. The college acceptance rate and students who attend college is at 100% . This is an amazing magnet school whose motivation is primarily focused on science, math, and technology. Each student is given their own laptop to make it more convient to complete their homeowork. And each student is given top priority. Send your girls to this school. It is truly amazing!

Posted October 30, 2009

This school is an excellent school I am so glad I applied for it. It really helps young women achieve their goals in education, and in real life.

Posted August 8, 2009

Well Irma is trying really hard but us girls here just don't really like it but they're changing this year and they're putting new electives and other classes in this year so not so many girls will continue to leave. I believe in our school, if everyone else starts to, it will get better...i know it will

Posted July 12, 2009

I have been in this school for two years and next year I'll be a freshman. To me us girls are more like family not just friends. We help each other out when we can. The teachers are great they know how to teach you and they will push you to do your best. These two years have been the best school years of my school life.

Posted July 2, 2009

I have been at this school since the sixth grade and next year i will be a freshmen. I have to honestly say that I have not had a nice ride. This school has stressed me out soooo much. Between the bickering of the girls and the very heavy work load, it's enough to make you want to pull your hair out. And I'm sure it's not just me. Just about every [former] 8th grader is leaving to a different high school next year due to the stress levels this school has put on us. The laptops do help, but if anything it worries parents more and more. They may help us every now and then, but half the time we're not using them [for school work anyway] and when we do it requires us to get on the internet which opens many [bad] opportunities. I would not recommend this school.

Posted June 7, 2009

I would like to congratulate the school on a job well done. Graduating their first senior class. I would like to also say I'm concerned that my second chip wants to leave the school. Choosing woodrow's AP program. I have confidence she will do well because of the work ethic instilled in her at Rangel.

Posted June 6, 2009

I have been at Irma Rangel for two years. I will attend the 8th grade next year. I would definetly recommend this school for other students because of the learning opportunities and the extracurricular activities offered. I think that it's great that we are supported by the Foundation for the Education of Young Women because they've offered me so many chances to do things that I would've never achieved in other schools. My friends was giving financial aid to attend a summer camp for two weeks at Princeton in California. And every grade level has a summer camp where the students can attend. The work is very tiring sometimes, but it helps with success. We also have what is called Little Sister/Big Sister program where a younger student is assigned a 'Big Sister' from the upperclassmen. It really helps with friendship and communication skills. I love this school!

Posted June 4, 2009

My daughter attended Irma Rangel for the last four years and I would highly recommend it. Every teacher at Rangel is top notch, I have another child in a DISD Magnet school and I know that not all teachers in Magnet schools are good/intelligent teachers. My daughter has had plenty of extracurricular programs/activities while attending Rangel. She has blossomed into a wonderful, organized, responsible, highly functional young woman and I have to give a lot of credit to Rangel for being a part of that. They helped her in her in middle school to form great study habits and outstanding character which she has carried on into High School. She is leaving Rangel next year however, against my desire. Because Rangel has help mold her into such a successful young woman I was able to support her decision to move to a collegiate high school.

Posted April 2, 2009

I rate this school one of the best schools! My child has taken a test to enter Irma! We are praying that she got in!

Posted March 28, 2009

i have been going to irma rangel since the 6th grade, and i'm now in the 8th. irma rangel ywls is a great school and its fun. it can sometimes be a little boring, just like any other school. irma rangel has come a long way from what it used to be. we started out with lacrosse, and now we have soccer, track, volleyball, basketball, and cheerleading. sometimes it can be a little stressful with all the work, and sometimes the teachers can be rude but its still a awesome school.

Posted January 28, 2009

I have to admit that Irma Rangel YWLS was the 2nd choice school for my daughter after William B. Travis. At the time, Travis represented the diverse high level educational and social environment that I wanted for her. I was disappointed that Travis did'nt accept her, but I can't begin to give the administration and teachers of Irma enough accolades. Irma should've been our 1st choice and probably would've been had I taken a closer look at the school and not at the fact that it's an all female student body. From the moment that we stepped into the school, the staff was welcoming and exhibited a pride that's evident in all they do. The school works to expose the girls to all opportunities and has high expectations of them academically. My daughter loves the school and is excelling in her classes. Her dad and I like the atmosphere.

Posted December 13, 2008

I went to Rangel two years ago for 7th and 8th grade. The school needs a lot of work, most of the teachers were horrible now that Im at TAG I realize I have huge gaps in my education in certain subjects. There are teachers that dont teach at all and there were no sports and we always has subs. Someone said theyre doing great because boys are a disraction? Haha thats not the reason Rangel is just easy; got to a real magnet school and see if you can make it; my grades are great even though we have boys. Rangel did not give me what I wanted or expected. They had high expectations and gave us nothing.

Posted October 23, 2008

This is my second yr at Rangel and they have been in the process of adding more electives and extracurricular activities. Considering the size of the facility no more classes can be taken, but now we have a volleyball team and we will have basketball, soccer, and lacrosse in action this year. We have also added orchestra; we also have an abundance of afterschool activities such as dance, yoga, knitting, student councils, quite a few clubs, and others.

Posted October 16, 2008

This is a great school but the girls get streassed with to much homework

Posted October 6, 2008

i go to this school and its horrible a lot of homework no field trips bad teachers crappy lunches crappy laptops ugly uniforms no airconditioned buses

Posted September 22, 2008

The administration continues to cancel extracurricular programs. The high school students are being forced into electives they didn't even choose because the principal frankly does not support the fine arts. She is happy to parade the kids around in performances when it serves her own agenda to impress people politically, but she really doesn't care about the full development and education of the students. She just wants high test scores.

Posted July 28, 2008

'We have high academic and social expectations for all students'...and boy do we live up to those expectations. They demand so much out of us and we give it. But do they give us what we want? No. I must say that this school is neither challenging nor the right place for 'leadership'. My parents pay taxes and where does it all go? Back to a school that remains undeserving of the title 'magnet school'. After middle school, I'd thought of HIGH EXPECTATIONS of this school. Why? Because upon applying to this school, or any magnet school for that matter, they expect HIGH EXPECTATIONS from me. And what do we have here? Only a few electives, absolutely no music classes, no block schedule, disorganization...Do I really think that I've evolved from Middle to High school? I was put in a class of middle schoolers. I'm a high-schooler. A HIGH SCHOOLER.

Posted July 28, 2008

High school: Teachers are too lenient on homework. I can't even begin to explain how horribly limited the number of courses are, it makes me curl inside. They 're even cancelling ART II because we're getting PHOTOGRAPHY. Thank you school, I gave you so much of my efforts, 4.0 average here, just thanks, THERE GOES MY DREAMS. field trips? forget about it. Tell me again why this school is a magnet school..?

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Non-Gifted94%

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music