Bad
Good

I was very excited whenever I got my acceptance letter. I was overjoyed. That first year was good. But, everything went downhill from there. Lots of teachers were moved from the grade they taught which caused the school to hire other teachers. These new teachers didn't have experience at teaching and were not there to help us. There was a handful of teachers that were really there for the students, but, a lot of them have left. Fine arts was downsized for a year, and the counseling staff for middle school was not very good. Upon going through some problems the counselor said I was "doing it for attention." There has been a change in the leadership in the school. Our old principal has left but she will never be forgotten. This year the spirit of the school has died. I lost my individuality when I entered this school. I was sucked up in a vortex that only allowed me to fit into this place where everyone was the same. I lost my spirit. But, since leaving, I'm me again. In my opinion, I did not like Rangel, but this may be different for other people. But, the school is not the same as it used to be whenever I enrolled, and I don't think it ever will be that safe, welcoming environment that it was. ----- Rangel Alumni

My daughter is happy and exceling with teachers that care and who spend a lot of time with the girls. The administration offers a safe and trusting environment. The social activities and sports options are growing.

The 2015-2016 school year changed a lot of things that made Rangel a decent place. The principal of 10 years retired and the replacement principal and vice principal were elementary principals their entire careers. They both obviously have no experience dealing with 6th through 12th grade (Rangel students). They treat the students as if they don't attend a college preparatory campus. While teachers work their hardest, the principals acknowledge nothing. Not only is the administration at Rangel lacking, but the experience has drifted. Irma Rangel no longer informs its student of the Breast Cancer inflicted woman of the schools namestake- not to mention the principals lack of knowledge of the school creed. Many classes don't have teachers. There is at least one core class teacher missing per subject, and while substitutes attempt to teach subjects they retired from years ago. Besides academics, the school has no culture. By sending your daughter here, she will not have the traditional high school experience. She will gain an education but lose a personality.

Rangel attracts students who have proven themselves through good grades, high test scores, and good citizenship. Other positives include a well-stocked library, college advisor, summer camps, and programs. Rangel is not the best school for an introverted or sensitive person. And although the art and drama teachers are excellent, the school itself may not be the best place for someone who values creativity over production. It is a good school for a driven, focused person who easily grasps math and science and doesn't get discouraged by lack of positive reinforcement. The workload is intense. My daughters have had midnight online deadlines on Saturdays. The block schedule makes deadlines hard to remember. Some assignments are due before school, others at the start of class, others online. Tutoring is available but not always helpful, because certain teachers can be intimidating. Nevertheless, the school is safe, the students are introduced to the wide range of possibilities for women, and outside funding from the Foundation for the Education of Young Women gives Rangel students access to camps, field trips, guest speakers, and literature that other schools cannot provide.

This school is very challenging and you have to be willing and determined to face the school. Once you are in the school, you will soon realize that although you may be struggling in your core classes, every teacher is there to help and guide you individually through tutoring. One of the most genuine characteristics about the school we are all sisters. We are all going to be there for each other, and follow the Rangel creed, "I believe I am my sister's keeper."

This school gave me a whole lot of homework and experience. I got to Atwell now, but I will forever miss Rangel, because the girls were always there for me and they were my sisters. However, my teachers were absolutely horrible.

This school helpped me do alot for my future. I am a student in Irma Lerma Rangel YWLS and I never thought I would! My first school year was so much fun, filled with friends, homework, and awsome extra caricular activities. All the teachers there are very welcoming so you can get used to your first year there. Since I am a second year student, I know how hard it is to be there when your in 6th grade. Your the first year students and don't know anybody. That is perfectly fine. That is what the awesome summer camps are for. So you can meet and interact with other panthers your age! It might be hard trying to catch up with all your classes the first few weeks, but you'll be happy you went there!! :)

Rangel is a great place that is doing many wonderful things, truly empowering young women with the tools succeed in college and beyond. National Blue Ribbon School, and Texas Business & Education Coalition Honor Roll School. The first public all girls school in the state, and a model for the 4 new all girls schools (Houston, Austin, Ft. Worth, San Antonio and Lubbock). Many thanks to the Posey family, the administrators, and the educators at Rangel.

This is truly a "great school". There are no disciplinary problems so the teachers can focus on educating these smart young ladies. The principal is amazing, the teachers are passionate about educating and their expectations are high. Not only do they expect these girls to graduate high school... but they expect them to graduate from college. It's a challenging school, but when they enter college, I know they will be prepared.

Irma Rangel is a single sex school so it helps girls focus on schoolwork rather than boys and other things. This is definitely the most awesome school ever.

Last modified Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.