Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

For the most part its a good school. But there is a communication breakdown between parents and teachers. Not to mention the dropoff and pick up line. That is more on the parents and needing to pay attention! Remembering we all have kids there, that's why we are there for either or! Math....don't understand it. Even when sample work has come home. What was wrong with how we learned to do math? It was faster and easier to understand. Reading levels on report cards! My son is an advanced reader, but the teacher has informed that his report can't show above grade level for the end of the year. This will hurt him, because when he starts the next year that teacher won't know and will start him at the beginning. No chance to get challenged and show how smart he truly is. That needs to be changed! Getting all parents involved. I always see the faces volunteering. Good for them, but why don't others want to help? Just remembering school is supposed to be fun and challenging at the same time. The children all learn in different ways and have different strengths and weaknesses.

My daughter has gone to McKamy K-4 and my son K-2nd. The classes are a great size and the teachers truly care. My kiddos teachers communicate well with me and all of the staff take an interest in the kids. My daughter has blossomed in her love of Music under Mr Ferguson's tutelage. The core classes are taught with accuracy and the specials of music, art and p.e. help round out the education. The PTA is very active and the kids reap the benefits! The principal, Ms O'Connor, even helps direct traffic at pick up and drop off. Thats how close she is to the students, rather than being stuck behind a door.

Develops character: Strongly agree

One way the staff at McKamy Elem develop our kids sense of honesty and fairness is the way they treat the kids. The teachers and staff are fair with grading and discipline and this spills over into the way our kids see the world.

My daughter has been at McKamy for several years and loves it. She has had wonderful teachers who have a passion for teaching and truly enjoy their students. We have also met many wonderful families within this school. The Principal can be found outside at drop off line every morning and is available to parents. The music and art programs are wonderful. We have made a conscious choice to stay in the public school system with McKamy.

I thought kindergarten was got to be rough, my son has not been in school before he was at home with me. when we took him to meet the teacher he was not happy he wanted to stay at home with mommy! Well the first day of school came an I was shocked they made him feel so comfortable that he was " bye mommy an daddy see you later!" It has been 4 weeks an he LOVES it. He asks to go to school everyday an there is not just one teacher he talks about he talks about them all! LOVE this school LOVE the teacher an the principle.

My daughter had a wonderful kindergarten experience with Miss Berk, but after kindergarten, it all went downhill. The principal should really focus on hiring more qualified and energetic teachers that actually want to help the students.

I first posted on February 10, 2009. Since then I've become very disappointed in this school. I really enjoyed it when my child first attended. I know teachers have to do class work a certain way due to what the state requires. I can't understand any of my kids Math homework, I NEVER learned to work problems like that. How can I help with it or make sure it's done correctly? I would take the time to go to the classroom, take the teachers answer sheets & post them on a blog for parents to have an example to go by. My child is so frustrated with school! Grades have gone from all A's to barely passing grades. My child loved to read, now loathes it with a passion. My child doesn't even look forward to school anymore. The drop off & pick up at the school is horrible. Early kids start getting there a little after 7am. I've seen a few close calls of kids almost hit with a vehicle going through the cross walks in the mornings. There's no one out there until around 7:30am or after, that's when the first bell rings. Really would like to see that all schools had an online blog with homework examples for parents like me, that are lost without the visual help.

Absolutely awful - they spend all day grading the kids behavior so they can send them home with a 1 page sheet about every minutiae of wiggling and talking every day, but are unwilling to help kids work on more advanced work, Many kids are bored to tears and are labeled "trouble makers". Our Kids went from Cs and Ds here, to all As and Bs at new school. High teacher turnover.

We are starting our 10th year at McKamy and I cannot imagine having our kids anywhere else.

My daughter started school this year and I have been absolutely pleased with this school. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities for parents and activities that encourage a closeness between students, parents, and staff. I am also very satisfied with the curriculum and it's implementation.

Last modified Mckamy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.