School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Walker middle school is a high-performing middle school with the Texas Education Agency. . For the 2016–2017 school year, Walker will be offering 12 high school credit courses (Algebra I, Literary Genres, Creative Writing, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Lifetime Nutrition and Fitness, Professional Communication, Astronomy, and World Geography, Government, and Intro to Computer Science. It has an amazing two-way dual language program. Students are taught social studies and Reading in Spanish. They also take a Mandarin Chinese class in the dual language program. Walker has a great dance, band, theater, robotics, orchestra, LCC, athletics, and art program. Walker not only met standard, but earned six of seven distinctions through The Texas Education Agency. It's an amazing school and it feels like family.
August 02, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I have been a parent here for four years. The school continues to improve each year, especially under the leadership of Dr. Stout. There are now 12 pre-high school AP classes being offered, dual language and tons of extra-curricular activities to keep the kids engaged. I have no regrets in sending my three kids here and would do it again if I had to make the choice.

Doesn't do what it needs to do to be the best middle school in Dallas. It's in a great area, but can't get neighborhood kids to attend. Should have more STEM type programs to attract parents away from private schools.

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
Teachers at Walker Middle Scho receive professional development in high rigor instructional strategies, depth of knowledge strategies, Kagan cooperative learning strategies, dual language training, and other staff development as needed. Teachers at Walker Middle School write pacing guides at the district level. Walker teachers train other district teachers in content area instruction.
Posted August 02, 2016

Message to families
Posted August 02, 2016

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I think the teachers try, given what they have to work with. The problem comes from the administration. The principal is now squeezing a draft period into the day, supposedly to help in needed areas. My son's draft for several weeks was PE. Plus they say they sometimes don't know who's class to go to for draft and they get sent from class to class. This is counter productive.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My students often tell me they do their homework in class, so I don't see any homework. I often request their teachers send home work so that I can know what they are learning. I have seem an occasional project for homework from my 8the grader.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school lacks leadership from the principal. Many of the students are not treated with respect and seem to return the same lack of respect back at the staff.

Amount of homework:
SCHOOL LEADER
Most of the homework is done in class. Students mostly do projects and not daily homework at home. Teachers assess student knowledge before they leave the classroom. Walker middle school has proven that students learn at a high rigor level because they score high on rigorous state assessments. Students at Walker earned five of six state distinctions with the Texas education agency evident in the schools accountability report. Students use Kagan learning strategies to teach and learn from each other in class, in addition to learning directly from the teachers. High leverage strategies are used at Walker middle school to learn in class. Homework is given as necessary, but demonstrations of learning are done on a daily basis in each class before student leave the classroom. Walker middle school uses "Depth of Knowledge" levels of rigor, which is a higher level of Bloom's Taxonomy, to instill hire rigor levels of learning in classrooms.
Posted April 09, 2016

This school is horrible. The principal, Dr. Stout does not know what she is doing. There have been 19 fights this semester alone. It all started when she announced on the intercom that if we fought, we would go to DAEP. Of course nothing happened to the people who fought, so everyone wants to fight now. Then she has is going to this draft class which we hate and the teachers hate. It shortens our classes that we really need. It causes us to have to attend 8 classes in one day. This is so tiring. The teachers even hate it. Supposedly, the principal wants the rich kids in the neighborhood to come to this school, so she doesn't want anyone to know what goes on here. Kids fight and there are no consequences. I actually fear for my life, but I can't go to another school because this is the school I'm assigned to. She doesn't even treat the teachers like professionals from what I hear. She makes them clock out as if they are hourly, plus she has them working 15 minutes past the district time. I know that part because my mom's friend is friends with a teacher there and she tells my mom. This school is on a one way trip to the bottom with the principal leading the way.

I like math and band there so much fun for me I love band more better I play the flute

Last modified Ewell D Walker Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.