Posted March 04, 2015
I realize there is more than one Westwood School, and after reading some of these reviews I found myself wondering if these parents were at the same school that we are! After 4 years at Westwood, my child has blossomed into a wonderful little person. The parent community is very inclusive (EVERYONE is invited very publicly to every event and volunteers are welcomed but there is never high pressure to help) and we have made some fantastic friends. There is a wide mix of different types of families: working and non-working parents, many diverse nationalities and backgrounds. The curriculum is challenging: my child is far advanced in comparison to her peers in local ISDs. The staff and faculty is very tenured and dedicated to the growth of the school. Any issues or concerns that we have raised have been heard and addressed promptly. I recognize that no school is right for everyone, but encourage prospective families to seriously consider Westwood.

The Westwood School 1

Posted February 19, 2015
I am the parent of a current student in this school who will not be returning. we thought that this school will be one to graduate from. My child has regressed and grown less confident compared to the period before starting this school. The school syllabus is watered down by the all powerful parents that make the PTA and complain that their children cannot keep up with the tougher standard. If that is the case, my child is better off attending a public school where i am not shelling out loads of money each year. The afterschool program is an expensive joke. Select parents get to participate in school events with the rest of the parents not even asked to volunteer. I work full time and attending morning coffees at 8 is just out of question when i am expected to be running meetings. I am not a party animal and do not enjoy the "mom's night out or galas". I prefer to spend that precious time at home with my family but unless you are out with the movers and shakers at the school, you are counted out. There is also the covert racist attitude that some of the staff exhibit. This school does not deserve my child or my money.
7 people found this helpful

Posted May 05, 2014
Our daughter has attended Westwood since age 2 and is currently a bright and engaged 3rd grader. As a family, we have cherished our experience with The Westwood School over the past 7 years and have made the decision to continue through high school. We most appreciate the fact that development of character and responsibility is a cornerstone of our daughter's education. Learning is tailored to her needs and talents while being structured and providing appropriate boundaries. We have benefited greatly from the personalized attention and guidance provided by teachers and administrators throughout the years as our daughter has progressed through various stages of development and even during a short bout of childhood anxiety. The community is tight knit and inclusive. Parents are actively involved and volunteer their time and talents willingly. We were drawn to Montessori education from the moment we first toured Westwood and have become strong supporters of the Montessori method based on our daughter's educational growth and blossoming independence. We look forward to many more years with the Westwood community.

Posted April 22, 2014
For the past 5 years, we have been fortunate enough to be part of the Westwood family. However, we have not thanked the staff and teachers enough. There has never been a time when each of them has not been willing to take the extra time to talk with us about our concerns, and they've celebrated successes and family additions. The staff has provided unwavering support to us as parents. Most importantly, they have loved and guided our child through the years. We believe that he will be a better person because of each teacher that has been a part of his life.

Posted February 07, 2014
Here is a list of university acceptances from the first 4 Westwood graduate classes to date (20 students total): Alaska Pacific University American University Austin College Barry University Baylor University Colorado State University at Denver Colorado State University at Boulder Concordia University California Drew University Franklin University Switzerland Guilford College Hendrix College Lewis & Clark College Loyola University New Orleans Kansas State University Marymount Manhattan College Missouri State University Oklahoma State University Salem College San Angelo State University Savannah College of Art & Design Southern Methodist University Southwestern University St. Edward s University Stephen F. Austin State University Texas A & M Texas A & M Corpus Christie Texas Christian University Texas Tech University Trinity University Tulsa University University of British Columbia University of Dallas University of Denver University of Mary Hardin Baylor University of North Texas University of Southern Mississippi University of Texas at Arlington University of Texas at Austin University of Texas at Dallas University of Texas at San Antonio
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 09, 2013
This school is truly is a hidden gem! The school's warm, welcoming atmosphere has easily allowed for us to feel like we are part of "The Westwood Family". The teachers are so passionate and do a wonderful job tending to the individual needs of each child. My daughter loves coming to school each day and I feel so content knowing she is being offered the best education available. We are so glad to have found this amazing place!

Posted September 26, 2013
The other day out of the blue my daughter turned to me and said "Mommy, thank you for letting me go to Westwood", hearing those words made me extremely happy and reassured me that she is in the best school she could be in.

The Westwood School 2

Posted July 20, 2013
The one-on-one attention is great, but I have great concerns. I think I jumped in without asking enough questions about the teachers' credentials. I am one of those parents referenced negatively by another reviewer with a child with learning differences. Such a child has great things to contribute to the classroom--if the teachers have the expertise to work with such a student. I've noticed that after a time of being in such an isolated environment my child has become less comfortable around larger groups, and economically diverse people. But my BIGGEST concern as we start moving toward those years is that the school stresses how many of its students go on to college, but frankly, they are almost all sub-par schools. The tuition is SO HIGH I feel like the point is to give them an edge on getting a fantastic college education. Maybe it's just the kids don't feel comfortable going to those schools? I'm having trouble finding out the average ACT scores, and I'm getting worried.
5 people found this helpful

Posted June 04, 2013
I love Westwood! It is truly a unique school that guides students from 2 years through 12th grade. Value is placed on individual students and helping them become the best they can be. The education received is superior with the Montessori/IB programs, while the character, compassion, and life skills received by students sets this school apart from other schools. Graduates return frequently and are so thankful for the great education and the tools they received to navigate college and the years beyond. Westwood is their home for a lifetime!

Posted June 03, 2013
I love this school! My children have both received a wonderful education throughout all levels. My husband and I are excited about coming changes for the school such as new property with new facilities. I have always felt that Westwood excelled in making sure my kids are known - they are not a number. We couldn't be happier.

The Westwood School