No rating

St. John's Episcopal School

Private | PK-8

Student diversity

Living in Dallas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $213,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted April 7, 2014

The education is not worth the money spent. It is a beautiful campus with fabulous amenities inside but the education is lacking. My child was well above grade level. We met with the teacher, head of the lower school, and head of the school to discuss options. They were less than accommodating. We asked that our child be put in a higher grade for specific subjects and were told no. We asked the teacher for extra work. Her answer was initially no because she didn't want the other students to feel bad because they couldn't complete the same work. Eventually, extra work was sent home (but I can do that) she wasn't challenged while in school. We were also told that "in a few years all of the kids would be on a similar level and it wouldn't be an issue."

Posted August 16, 2013

St. John's Episcopal is an outstanding school! I have had 3 kids go through and all received excellent academics. They were well prepared for their college prep high school and gone on to enroll in honors programs in college. The best part of the school are the values and ethics that they learn. You'll find no other school like it in Dallas!

Posted July 12, 2013

Teachers at this school are not well trained, and many have never met requirements to teach their subject matter. At least a third of this school's students are "learning-challenged" and consequently subject matter is dumbed way down. If college preparation is what you're seeking for your son or daughter, please avoid St Johns Dallas.

Posted June 13, 2013

This is an outstanding school. Education is thorough, teachers are compassionate, moral character is modeled. Very good school. My son excelled in his kindergarten here. Parents are engaged but not over aggressive. Great curriculum, even in the younger years. Love that there is Christian teaching as well.

Posted May 9, 2013

We live in East Dallas and have a child at St. John's who was previously in a well-regarded North Dallas preschool. We had the option of continuing in the North Dallas path, but after much research decided on St. John's and have been very happy there. Regarding academics, with some research I think you'll find that St. John's compares favorably with many of the North Dallas schools. In our research, we obtained information from admissions folks at Jesuit and Ursuline, met with a private school consultant, and generally picked the brains of parents who are plugged into the private school scene. The consensus was St. John's compares favorably with ESD, Good Shepherd, Parish, St. Monica, St. Rita, etc. We've been very happy there, but I would encourage you to do your own research in that regard and not rely too much on statements from anonymous posters on a website.

Posted April 18, 2013

St. Johns wants to charge big private school tuition and provide a second tier private school education. Everyone is expected to function at an average level and no accommodations are made for brighter students. Our child came in at a later grade and I agree with the other poster that the community is not very welcoming. Not all children are invited to participate in grade level sports teams and other social activities.

Posted April 11, 2012

There are way too many kids with learning and behavioral issues that dominate the teacher's time. Young children are also forced to sit in chapel for an hour at a time. We have seem little focus on academics.

Posted February 20, 2012

This school is nurturing and progressive. We have two kids here with learning difficulties. The teachers and principals are very accomodating to their needs. Our kids are made to feel welcome and not different. the xtra curriculars are amazing. I will keep our kids here until the 8th grade.

Posted June 21, 2011

I love this school. We have 3 kids here. They are in the lower school. All are challenged academically, yet they are on different levels. The communication with teachers is good to excellent. I am looking forward to the next 8 years here!

Posted December 1, 2010

Good programs for learning, but I feel that we could receive same in public. The art, spanish, and music programs are very poor. The art teacher is very rigid...there is a right way to draw and it is her way. She gives no room for individuality. They have no instrument programs except to provide after school lessons for piano, guitar, or violin. The spanish was fantastic, but with a new teacher this year I never hear any spanish from my child as I had in the past. She can't tell me anything that she learns. I feel that maybe as our daughter gets older that the academics will be better, but I am becoming skeptical. If I could move to an area that had a good public option we would move tomorrow.

Posted August 10, 2010

1. disappointing experience of being double-crossed by a teacher who wrote a horrible recommendation yet a glamorous report card. 2. not worth the tuition, for what has been taught. You can buy better, but you cannot pay more.

Posted July 13, 2010

As an alum of St. John's I cannot say enough good things about the education I received there. Warm and supportive community and teachers combined with the academic strength of the school makes it the perfect place for a child to grow. Upon entering a challenging prepschool for highschool, I found myself more than prepared with my St. John' background.

Posted December 2, 2009

The school has high academic standards which get more challenging each year especially the middle school. Many private high schools will say St John's kids are among the most prepared and that college entrance is relatively comfortable once they've gone through prep for high school interviews and entrance. There needs to be a focused balance between homework and extra curr once the kids get older - maintaining high academic standards without making homework too overwhelming. The school definitely provides kids with ample opportunity to boost self esteem and confidence in speaking and presenting or performing in front of others. It's hard to describe this special characteristic of the school but is an amazing outcome.

Posted September 20, 2009

Fabulous school all around. A loving and nurturing environment with high academic standards. Wonderful teachers, wonderful students. I just can't say enough good things about St. John's.

848 Harter Rd