Dallas, TX

David W Carter High School 5

Posted April 14, 2012
I am a 1977 graduate of DW Carter. My brothers and I graduated from Carter and our respective universities. The performance of any student depends upon the student, parents and teachers. Parents must be actively involved in every aspect of the education process. It's hard work far all, but it must be done. Students have access to thousands of information sources than I did in 1977, use them. The internet is just a small portion of what is available. Parents must work with students, staff and teachers to achieve excellence. There is no perfect school, DW Carter was not perfect when I was there. Don't generalize, if a specific teacher is not living up to his/her responsibilities deal with it one on one. If nothing happens let the administration know. Like i said, it's going to take some extra effort from all concerned. As a soldier I traveled to countries where education is only for the rich. I challenge parents, students and staff to encourage and support each other. Let's turn off the TV, radio and video games and get down to business. Children in Korea and Japan have what's equal to two years of college upon graduation from high school. They put education first in their society.

David W Carter High School 2

Posted May 23, 2011
Currently a junior at Carter high i find the school to be "Under Average" there have been teachers class rooms where i stepped in and all they did was give us a text book and tell us to write down 5-10 vocabulary words and that will be it for that day....the reason the school is so low performing is that some teachers do not really care about teaching the students all they want is some grades to put in the grade book; i am certainly not trying to stick all the blame on the teachers, but just like the bad there is some good where teachers personally talk to students and try to help them with there problems and stay overtime for students who need them which i am grateful for if only the students took advantage of those opportunities we would be better off, the students here only perform at the "MINIMUM" level is because that is all the teachers expect, students knowing this work to reach this expectation which is practically nothing leaving them lazy when expected to go above the norm.

David W Carter High School 3

Posted June 10, 2010
It takes more than a professional staff for a school to be successful. Kids have to want to learn and parents have to support their learning and not put it all on the teachers. Regardless of what teacher do in the classroom they cant go home with kids and make them turn off the PlayStation's and Xbox's. Parents have to be the backbones of education.

Posted May 29, 2009
Carter is totally a different school now. Carter was a well-known school with students that had talent not just in sports but academics as well. Due to unprofessional staff, unconcerned teachers and the great lack of parent involvement Carter has become one of the lowest academic performing schools. My brother is an junior at Carter.He came from a different school enivornment where the school had a diverse ethnic environment to Carter who has a predominant African American environment. He tells me how the teachers are not as professional or as knowledgeable at Carter as compared to his other school. Somewhere Carter has lost its spirit and caring atittude about its students. I would love to see Carter become the school its was once known for and not just known for the negativity that we hear about.For the teachers and staff that do care about our students some parents do support you.

Posted March 21, 2009
i am a graduate of carter high(2008).And I must say my years at carter had its up and downs but for the most part school is what you take out of it,not what you espect from it.

David W Carter High School 5

Posted February 23, 2009
it is a good school they are doing better then what they usely do i think that is going to be good to me so d w carter is okay with me

David W Carter High School 1

Posted October 30, 2008
I go to this school and it is not bad.It is just that kids are becoming lazy and not wanting to do the work.We are smart but it's just that some students don't try hard enough to bring our school up.Eventhough people might think this school is not good enough it is.I have really learned alot since i have been here.I really love this school and the teachers including my classmates.

David W Carter High School 1

Posted March 07, 2008
Why is this school one of the lowest scoring academic schools in Texas? It is an inner city school that is almost totally dependent on sports to keep kids off the streets.

David W Carter High School 3

Posted March 05, 2008
I go to this school, and it is the most friendly school I've ever been to.

David W Carter High School 2

Posted September 30, 2007
As a parent and a Graduate of David W. Carter The school has lost it's spirit, the tradition of Carter has really gone down. I know that there are Counselors and Teachers that want the best for our children. But we as parents has to be the first to teach our children about pride for themselves and their school. They have great extracurricular activies, but let's teach about the importance of academics. While walking around Carter High School I see pictures has been taken down for academics and good sports. This can also help kids to see what was there and what other people accomplished while attending Carter High School. Why let a few bad apples ruin a great school (1988) when we know that we have kids that want to accomplish great things for the school. Carter is a Great School we need everyone.

1819 West Wheatland Road, Dallas, TX  75232
Last modified David W Carter High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
David W Carter High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top