Bad
Good

As a former student of BTWHSPVA, I must say my time there was an integral part of who I am today. Having began HS elsewhere, if you are artistically inclined, you almost owe it to yourself to investigate life as a student. Academically, this school is no slouch (or wasn't when I was there) with AP offerings in many areas of study. If you like a challenge, take advantage of these classes as well as the AP tests for there are many benefits of doing so. Not only can you test your academic mettle, you can participate in the host of artistic activities taking place year round. It was not uncommon to spend 10-12 hours at school involved in some activity or another...the best part being you would look forward to doing it again day after day. The student body was diverse, the teachers were mostly thrilled to share their expertise with you, and the administration knew how to cater to artistic minds. I can't speak for the school as it exists today (having graduated when the school had a slightly smaller footprint), but if the spirit of the institution is the same and the core values remain unchanged, I'm sure this review is still applicable. Be thankful for the traffic light at Ross!

I loved going to school here. I made great friends and was surrounded by supportive faculty. The academic teachers were all wonderful in their field and knew how to teach artists for the most part. However, what lost that star was my field of study: classical performance. If you're in the band, you won't receive a very positive musical experience and if you're in the orchestra you'll be lucky if you even have a musical experience. I constantly found myself being bored by the lack of challenges that my directors had for me and there was nothing left for my directors to teach me. I found myself learning what I did learn outside of school. But, overall, a really fantastic school.

I am an alumni of Booker T. It was an awesome experience. Even though I went to a wonderful undergraduate institution, as well as graduate, Booker T. remains my favorite school I've ever attended.

I started out as a freshman in 2011, and over the past three years Booker T. has helped me so much with my art. Not only have a grown as a great musician, but as a great individual as well. If you are an artist wanting to share your talent with the world, this is the school for you. Peace out, pegasi!

As much as I love BTW, I have to let those stars fall for many reasons, it's a great school that's a no brainer, but it fails in some areas that can really affect your experience there. I was a student here from 08-12 in the theatre cluster, let me begin by saying that teachers in each cluster WILL have favorites, by that I mean that they will get a handful of students, kids who come from prominent families with money and set them on the right course to get the best classes the cluster has to offer, as well as snick a word in there when it comes to college acceptance; sure you can try getting the favor, but it's quite hard an inefficient. I will say that you can learn a lot about your art, and even get some opportunities to participate in outside professional performing companies, so that's a plus. Academics here are great, except the math department, they keep changing the teachers every year, and they usually teach at a below average level. I loved my experience here, but I wish the school was more realistic, too many people are fake and fail to see reality, oh and if you attend be prepared to be at school from 8AM - 8PM each school day, that's actually the funnest part!

My son is in the Theatre Cluster at Booker T and loves it. It is such an amazing school that nurtures young artists while academically preparing them for success in careers and university. Every year this school sends kids to the Ivy's as well as the top conservatories in the world. The atmosphere is also one of acceptance where differences are valued rather than mocked (which can be a problem at the local high school his twin sister goes to). Teachers, students, parents and administration all work together to keep this school unique. Auditions are usually in January of the child's 8th grade, and if they don't get through the audition stages then, then chances of going is later years is very low, as they keep a tight cap on the number of students in each grade. The audition process is grueling but needed to keep the standards so high. We are very proud to be a Booker T family.

BTWHSPVA is heaven for my gifted and talented child who is also ADD. Her scores for standardized tests were always outstanding, but her experience in "traditional" school settings was always a struggle. She was bored by the busywork, unmotivated to excel and misunderstood by most of her teachers. Here, she thrives in an environment filled with talent and creativity. She is excited to go to school for the first time in her life and truly misses it during breaks. Instead of being criticized for her learning differences, she gets support, encouragement, and options for her individual style. From the first day of school, she was warmly welcomed, even by students 3 years older. She is learning, growing as an artist (theater), but also gaining incredible confidence, making loads of friends and maturing into a responsible adult. If your child is artsy - I strongly encourage you to visit this school and consider it for their high school years. We live more than 30 miles away from downtown, but making the drive is the best investment in my child I have ever made.

I really enjoy attending school now. I have all the resources I need to grow as a musician .I totally recommend this school. Pegasus for life

I WISH THIS WEBSITE HAD MORE STARS THAT I COULD GIVE THIS SCHOOL....ITS ALMOST LIKE WHEN U WALK IN, U INSTANTLY BECOME AN ARTIST....I LOVE THE ENERGY OF THE PEOPLE AND EVERYONE THERE MAKES U FEEL SOOO WELCOME, EVEN IF THEY DONT KNOW YOU...I LOVE THIS SCHOOL WITH ALL MY HEART, AND HOPEFULLY STARTING AUGUST OF THIS YEAR, I CAN OFFICIALLY BE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY OF ARTISTS...BTWHSPVA FOR LIFE <3

Arts Magnet is by far the greatest school I could ever imagine. I wake up every single morning excited to go to school and ready to grow as an artist. The school defies common high school cliques, and although it is very rigorous and challenging; I am proud to be a student at BTWHSPVA. Everything arts related is by far the best of the best in Dallas if not the country.

Last modified Booker T. Washing High for the Performing and Visual Arts is a Public school that serves grades 9, 12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.