Bad
Good

I taught here for many years and lasted longer than most teachers survive. But with a new principal (usually inexperienced) every other year and many teachers leaving within the first year or two, there is very little consistency in staff. I've worked in several inner city schools in my career, but Truett is like nothing I've ever experienced before. Truthfully, the kids run this school. Teachers are not consistently supported by administration with behavior issues and the students know it! They are not held accountable for their behavior at all. The students know they can pretty much get away with just about anything and nothing will be done. I love my ESL refugee students and will miss them. The teachers work hard to prepare students for the next step in their education. They are doing the best they can to educate students with little home support. Unless Truett changes from the top down, it will remain among the worst schools in DISD. An experienced principal with a proven, positive track record is needed there. One who is NOT afraid of the kids or administration and will do what needs to be done. The leadership sets the tone for the school. This school NEEDS leadership.

I attended this school when I lived in Dallas - 1st through 5th grades. It wasn't an outstanding school, but I got a good foundation there - I still remember things I learned there 40+ years ago. I'd say I learned more and faster about math than my daughter has in the Plano schools, which are considered very good. I earned two bachelors degrees from NTSU/UNT and think that Truett helped me get to where I am today. I hope the school can get the needed funding for remodeling. By the way, I drove over to my old neighborhood and to see George W Truett for the first time in years - good memories...

George w truett is a terrible school. There is no communication. With the principal. The children run the school. I would not reccommend any parent have there child or children attend this school

Truett is like any other school in Dallas ISD...not given enough money for a budget and for keep up, but the Staff and administration tries very hard to prepare the students who attend Truett for the real world. We have a great staff and a good administration. Truett is over populated but like many other schools in Dallas ISD, Truett is overlooked by the school board. For the last bond issue that was passed, Truett only got a new A/C Unit for the building. We should have received a whole new wing to the school since we have 35 portables outside of the building. All in all, I love teaching at Truett, I just wish that the DISD school board would open there eyes and see that Truett is a great school, but needs some money and resources to let the school grow!

This is my children's second year attending this school. The school seems overcrowded more each year. The school is old and needs some remodeling. I am impressed with the new principal and staff. The new principal is very involved with students. The first day of school he was at the front door assisting parents with questions. Both my daughter's teachers seem very dedicated and knowledgeable. Looks like a great 2007 so far.

I have 4 step-sons who now attend Truett. I am still unhappy with the teachers, counselors and administration at the school. I homeschool my daughter and she is learning more that way then when in attendance at Truett. Truett teachers still allow students to 'act and talk ghetto'. It is my opinion that when the action is taken at the top it will change at the bottom. Teachers need to be more involved in their students daily work. If they aren't handing in homework don't wait until oops look who is repeating the grade. They need to contact parents the 1st time papers are missing. Teachers need to correct any 'ghetto' talk or action even if the child is need in your class or you're waiting by the tree for that child to be picked up.

Last modified George W Truett Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.