Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Disagree

I don't like homework, so any homework is too much for me, but it is not so much that I feel the kids are overburdened.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Lipscomb is very supportive of its students and works hard to create good citizens for our community.

We love Lipscomb! I have had 2 kids at Lipscomb since 2008 and we have been thrilled with the education they have received there. I agree that the complaints in the reviews giving 1 star were venting related to safety measures, some Lipscomb's, some DISD policy, but none of those ever spoke to the quality of education there. Lipscomb has made multiple changes in the past year, including adding a 2-way dual language program and transitioning to IB. These changes have been very successful so far and the kids are thriving. I have nothing but positive things to say about the teachers, the administration, and wish that the people giving it 1 star would come volunteer instead of trying to undermine such a lovely neighborhood school.

My child started here this year in the two way Spanish dual language program and it has been great!! His reading (in Spanish and English) has taken off and he is excited about all the things he is learning in science, math, and "specials". His teacher is enthusiastic, engaged, and invested in the wellbeing and academic growth of all of his students. The IB Primary Years Programme is rigorous and challenging in a good way. Most importantly, my child loves his classmates, and they are kind and inclusive. We had the option of this school, a charter, a private school, or a Montessori school, and I'm very glad that we came to Lipscomb.

Fantastic school! I have two children at Lipscomb and two preschoolers who will attend once they are school-aged. This is a gem of a school nestled in the middle of a quiet neighborhood. Great administrators, fabulous teachers, awesome community. My children thrive in the inclusive environment here and have a good balance of core subject academics, art, music, PE and recess. The school itself is a gorgeous historic landmark surrounded by mature trees and an active community garden. People rating this school with 1 star because they don't agree with basic safety policies put in place to protect students are just venting. I doubt they have even discussed their frustrations with the principal to seek clarification or suggest constructive changes.

I have a friend who has a child in this school and I've been reading horror stories all year about their insane policies. The most recent is an absolute deal-breaker for me: She had to leave the school without having lunch with her daughter who is with her father this week, meaning that lunchtime is the ONLY time she gets to see her because she brought her newborn with her. We can all understand why you might not want toddlers running around during lunchtime, but a NEWBORN? It's a ridiculous policy if you can't have a common sense exception for newborns. Something to keep in mind if you share custody and like to see your kids at lunch when it isn't your week....

I LOVE LIPSCOMB ! Parents feel that they are LOCKED OUT or UNWELCOMING , as a parent that is here on a daily basis helping in the cafeteria ,making copies and anything that the teachers need , I always feel welcomed and appreciated that I am here. For the parents that feel unwanted or unwelcome ,I will see you at the PTA Board meeting,SBDM and PTA Potluck to hear your concerns!

We love Lipscomb! I have had two children at Lipscomb, one is currently attending. All of the teachers that I have had contact with have been positive, involved and focused on education. The locked doors are DISD POLICY put in place after the many school shootings. As the kinks got worked out I find that the new dismissal process is actually quicker, less confusing and much more safe. I have never been denied entry into the building when I buzzed in the front door and report to the main office; again DISD POLICY. I am at the school several times a week either volunteering or having lunch with my child. Some of the volunteer opportunities I have been presented with are garden work day, reading tutoring, movie nights, cafeteria duty and field trips. I even have family members and neighbors that volunteer at Lipscomb. To volunteer you do have to complete the background check that is DISD POLICY. My child's response to the sink issue was "some of the teachers have you use the sink and some think it makes your hands cleaner to use the sanitizer and some want you to use the sanitizer because the kids play in the water and make a mess", a logical answer when you bother to ask why.

I really HATE the new changes at Lipscomb this year the parents are not welcome in the building they have a teacher at all the doors to make sure the parents do not get in the building. Most of the good teachers that has been here for years are gone. The Principal is cold and unwelcoming. This used to be a Exemplary school but now the standards barely gets Met no one wants to send their children here anymore. The PTA STINKS! I have nothing nice to say about them AT ALL! The worst of all the changes is the fact that the kids can not use the bathroom sink after they use the bathroom that is very Nasty and Unsanitary and CHEAP! I know DISD has enough money to pay the water bill for the kids to be able to use the sink after they use the bathroom but they want me to spend my hard earned money to supply them with hand sanitizer and wipes for every bathroom break every day WHY? When it's a perfectly good sink in the bathroom they can use and my son told me they have a guard in the bathroom to make sure they don't use the sink and my other son told me they will get in trouble if they use the soap and/or the sink and water. I will be transferring out my son's as soon as I am able.

this school used to be all about the community and neighbourhood and WANTED parental involvement. but as of this year it is just the exact OPPOSITE! staff members run parents and family out of the school and away from the campus and even went as far as to lock the gates around the entire school causing a fire hazard if there were to be an emergency. also the drop off and pick up procedures are deplorable. I have 2 sons at lipscomb one is in kinder and one is in 3rd grade and it is disgusting the way they FORCE us to line up to drop off and pick up our kids. i am transferring BOTH my sons as soon as the new principal signs off on the form. i DO NOT recommend this school to any one. the pta is also disgusting!

Last modified William Lipscomb Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.