Ben Milam Elementary School 4

Posted September 20, 2010
As a former teacher at Ben Milam, I disagree with the previous parent's review. This school does have very dedicated teachers, but to state that the current principal has "not lifted a finger to provide anything extra" is absolutely not true. One should be careful when making assumptions about why teachers make the decision to leave a school. I think much of the teacher's frustration is most likely due to the poor management and corruption of the district as a whole. A principal only has so much control over these issues. Also, I'm not sure that staying at school until 7:00 and working Saturdays is healthy and/or beneficial for teachers, students or principals!

Posted August 12, 2010
The current principal stepped into a golden opportunity. There has been very little teacher turnover since my children have been at Ben Milam (10 years). Each teacher at this school gives 110%, allowing the principal to leave at 4 while the teachers stay till 7 and work Saturdays. There is much frustration with the principal as shown in (OHI) reports, that can be viewed by the public. These reports indicate that the teachers feel micro-managed and under utilized. Unfortunately, some great teachers have left Ben Milam because of the principal's top-down management style. Any technology, grants, after-school activities, supplies from other schools, money for equipment and supplies are due to the dedicated teachers going the extra mile to provide the students with what they need. The principal has not lifted a finger to provide anything extra for the faculty, staff and students.

Posted March 26, 2010

Posted February 20, 2010

Posted January 13, 2010
Ben Milam is one of the best schools in the DISD. The Principal and staff are terrific. I love the fact the they even offer a free after school program for parents who are unable to pick up their kids at 3 or 4. If any parent thinks that our kids at Ben Milam are very rough and misbehaved, perhaps maybe they should try another school for their delicate kids. I, personally, have 2 kids who I believe are kind of rough among themselves, but that is just they way they are.

Posted September 14, 2009
All my children have attended Ben Milam.. and I love it!! The teachers are all great!

Posted August 26, 2009
The Principal, Teachers, and all Staff are GREAT at Ben Milam. I am very satisfied with all the good work they have done in my kids life.

Ben Milam Elementary School 3

Posted October 13, 2008
The Principal and Teachers at Ben Milam Elementary are terrific. However, Parent participation and district funding is low. This is my daughters first year and every morning she is happy to go to school. Thank you to the Principle Ms Galvan and to all the teachers for job well done.

Ben Milam Elementary School 3

Posted October 11, 2008
I think one of the main problems is the district and the funding. I can tell that the teachers and the principal are trying hard, but the resources they have are minimal. I have been disappointed with the amount of yelling going on and I don't know if its the culture or lack of teaching proper principles, but yelling is just a means of dealing with discipline for them. The principal is very nice and accommodating, but I have not been as satisfied with my child's experience as I had hoped because of the environment that she is in every day. The children she is around are very rough and misbehaved and I don't feel that its dealt with properly.

Posted June 25, 2008

Ben Milam Elementary School
4200 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX  75205
Last modified Ben Milam Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ben Milam Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top