Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I'm giving Stonewall four stars based on a bullying incident that happened to my kindergartener at the end of the year and how the administration ( principal and executive director) handled the situation. I understand that these types of incidents do occur however my sense is that the response and follow-up to the incident was not in porportion to the gravity of the incident itself; I feel it was not handled with the proper seriousness it demanded and dismissed far too quickly. I do not pretend to know the policies and procedures that are in place to address these types of incidents but I am certain more could have been done to safeguard my child and current students at Stonewall Jackson as well as to prevent such incidents occurring in the future. The current guidance counselor was retiring and at no point of time throughout this incident was he brought into the situation to ensure the safety of my child due to is "busyness" closingout the school year! I’d like to stress; my child and our family had an absolutely amazing year at Stonewall Jackson this year. Our kindergarten teacher genuinely took care of our child as if one of her own. And perhaps why this incident was so disturbing is because of how in contrast it was to our experiences for much of the year.

this is a great school, my son told me that he got a lot of friends there.

School is very rigid academically, but they all are these days. They have a great outdoor garden/learning classroom and still believe in recess. Teachers are very engaged and the PTA does a LOT of fundraising for extras that are not found in other DISD schools. Glad for all the stay at home moms that are involved, but they are very much a click and snobby making volunteering a dread. This year's new principal is very "by the book". My daughter loves it there and has scored in the 95th percentile of the Iowa tests every year so they are definitely doing something right.

I held off on writing a review so I could be more objective and temper the review. Have had a few interactions over a couple of months with the v. principal and I found her to be a little odd - lacking in understanding and patience in some circumstances, at times coming off a little petty and/or immature in some responses.

This is the worst school I have ever dealt with. My son has the WORST kindergarten teacher that I have ever met. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO THIS SCHOOL. The teacher and principal find it acceptable to call out 5 and 6 year old children in front of the class causing them to be embarrassed. I don't find this school to be a healthy environment for any child.

I second what the prior reviewer has to say. We were so lucky to find a house in the SJ neighborhood. The school is a real community treasure. Let's hope the district doesn't ruin it. My one complaint is that the principal and the district are obsessed with testing. The children are over-tested in all grade levels. Children have different strengths and aptitudes and shouldn't be made to feel like failures because their brain is developing at a different (or even normal) pace. The teachers are great but I know that the district has increased stress levels for all of them. Thank goodness for the therapeutic nature of the outdoor learning lab. My kids love reading, writing and drawing in the outdoor classroom. They each have a plant that they tend and they grow and they eat so many different vegetables now. It is so fun to see the community out in the garden performing service, tending their own crops and teaching even their tiny tots about nature. There is a lot of fundraising at the school and in the community so be prepared but we consider it a bargain for what it provides!

My son is in his 3rd year at SWJ and he still enjoys his time there. I think he is moving in the right direction as far as his education is concerned. There are a bunch of great activities that SWJ are a part of and get the students involved with. BUT IT ALL COMES AT A PRICE! I understand that every school does fundraising but SWJ takes it to another level. We are asked for money donations almost daily. We are asked to provide food and services for student activities and our child is STILL expected to pay for the food they consume. Where does that money go if not back to the parents who actually provided the food and drinks??? How about an iPad to a 5 year old who sold the most items for the fundraiser- or a Nintendo DS for another winner. This is needless spending and is sending the wrong message to our kids to be a winner by having the latest and greatest before they reach their teenage years. So do you choose to add a new category in your budget for school fundraisers and activities so your child can be in a 10 school?

I have a child going to second grade now and another one starting kindergarten this year. I couldn't be happier! The teachers are great, and the PTA is awesome. I'm a full time employee and unfortunately can't be as involved as i wish, but I feel so grateful for the PTA and all volunteers, they really make a difference in my children's elementary experience. I love SJE!

This is our second year at Stonewall and we just love it!! Our daughter is getting a great education and all of the teachers and staff are wonderful. The parent involvement at Stonewall is amazing and I have met some of my best friends there.

We are in our fifth year at Stonewall Jackson and have been thrilled with the high-quality education our children have received. Stonewall is a great neighborhood school with a strong principal, committed teachers, and great parent involvement. The garden stands out uniquely among public schools, offering the type of hands-on learning that studies show is so much more effective than classroom work alone. Teachers combine science, writing, art, and countless other subjects in this outdoor classroom.

Last modified Stonewall Jackson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.