Posted October 19, 2014
I second what the prior reviewer has to say. We were so lucky to find a house in the SJ neighborhood. The school is a real community treasure. Let's hope the district doesn't ruin it. My one complaint is that the principal and the district are obsessed with testing. The children are over-tested in all grade levels. Children have different strengths and aptitudes and shouldn't be made to feel like failures because their brain is developing at a different (or even normal) pace. The teachers are great but I know that the district has increased stress levels for all of them. Thank goodness for the therapeutic nature of the outdoor learning lab. My kids love reading, writing and drawing in the outdoor classroom. They each have a plant that they tend and they grow and they eat so many different vegetables now. It is so fun to see the community out in the garden performing service, tending their own crops and teaching even their tiny tots about nature. There is a lot of fundraising at the school and in the community so be prepared but we consider it a bargain for what it provides!

Stonewall Jackson Elementary School 3

Posted October 10, 2013
My son is in his 3rd year at SWJ and he still enjoys his time there. I think he is moving in the right direction as far as his education is concerned. There are a bunch of great activities that SWJ are a part of and get the students involved with. BUT IT ALL COMES AT A PRICE! I understand that every school does fundraising but SWJ takes it to another level. We are asked for money donations almost daily. We are asked to provide food and services for student activities and our child is STILL expected to pay for the food they consume. Where does that money go if not back to the parents who actually provided the food and drinks??? How about an iPad to a 5 year old who sold the most items for the fundraiser- or a Nintendo DS for another winner. This is needless spending and is sending the wrong message to our kids to be a winner by having the latest and greatest before they reach their teenage years. So do you choose to add a new category in your budget for school fundraisers and activities so your child can be in a 10 school?

Posted August 19, 2013
I have a child going to second grade now and another one starting kindergarten this year. I couldn't be happier! The teachers are great, and the PTA is awesome. I'm a full time employee and unfortunately can't be as involved as i wish, but I feel so grateful for the PTA and all volunteers, they really make a difference in my children's elementary experience. I love SJE!

Posted November 15, 2011
This is our second year at Stonewall and we just love it!! Our daughter is getting a great education and all of the teachers and staff are wonderful. The parent involvement at Stonewall is amazing and I have met some of my best friends there.

Posted November 12, 2011
We are in our fifth year at Stonewall Jackson and have been thrilled with the high-quality education our children have received. Stonewall is a great neighborhood school with a strong principal, committed teachers, and great parent involvement. The garden stands out uniquely among public schools, offering the type of hands-on learning that studies show is so much more effective than classroom work alone. Teachers combine science, writing, art, and countless other subjects in this outdoor classroom.

Posted November 12, 2011
Our son is in 4th grade at Stonewall, and we couldn't be happier with the education he has received. We chose to send him to Stonewall after researching private schools, and we are very pleased with our decision.

Posted November 12, 2011
I have two children at Stonewall Jackson Elementary and we love everything about the school!

Posted November 12, 2011
Stonewall Jackson is an incredible school with educators who are top-notch. Moreoever, the school boasts one-of-a-kind programs such as Stonewall Gardens, our outdoor science lab and the regional day school for the deaf. Children are given respect and learn to respect others. Teachers lead by example and teach in a way that children are motivated to strive for nothing less than excellence. We specifically chose our home based on being within Stonewall's district and could not be more pleased.

Posted November 11, 2011
My family moved to Dallas 4 years ago due to a job change and I was terrified of putting my kids in Dallas Public Schools. We came from the suburbs and I wasn't sure how in the world I was going to put two kids in private school. We got moved and started meeting neighbors who told me what a great school district we had moved to and what an amazing school Stonewall Jackson is. It is so true! I have a 2nd grader and my youngest is in Kinder this year and we absolutely love it! The teachers are so wonderful and truly love our children. We have met some great friends and the parent evolvement is something to be proud of as well! I am positive my children are getting a wonderful education and are surrounded by educated, creative people-such a blessing!

Posted November 11, 2011
I am the parent of two children that attended and one that current is at Stonewall. Stonewall was our school of choice because of the reputation it has. The teachers & staff welcome each and every student with open arms. There is not a thing that they will not do for their students. Children are challenge to the best of their ability. It is we, the parents who have support the teachers in the decision that they make for our children. The communication between the teacher and parent is there we just have to make sure that we follow through. The parental involvement is an asset to the school. One thing that we have to keep in mind is communication it's a two way street, if the teacher communicates with us, we must communicate with them. If we had to start all over again, Stonewall would be our school of choice hands down.

Stonewall Jackson Elementary School
5828 East Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, TX  75206
Last modified Stonewall Jackson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stonewall Jackson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 90 reviews. Top