Sunset High School

Public | 9-12 | 2144 students

Living in Dallas

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $210,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted today

As a former Sunset grad, I can honestly look back and be thankful for the knowledge gained while studying there. Was it the safest school? Not any less than any other public high school in Dallas during the late 90's. Were the best resources available? No. While I can safely consider myself a successful individual, I have Sunset to thank a great deal for my achievements. Their teachers didn't push you unless you were up for the challenge. Each individual was handled/treated as deemed necessary. You had you cool kids and your bad. And I felt that at some point we all blended together due to its rich culture. It's environment taught me how to cope and engage in different setting amongst different people. Sunset's teachers helped me grow into the individual that I am today. They taught me how the real world spins and opened my eyes to see good, bad and ugly. It taught me self- knowledge, rationality and most importantly, humility. I feel my academics could have been better but I can't say I blame the school. I can't express how thankful I am for this experience. Bison Proud.

Posted July 20, 2013

I read all the posts. Yes, Sunset is in the ghetto, but its a good school. Couple of posts are from people who attended Sunset in the past and I just have to say is that if you did not try then you did not succeed. I attended Sunset and I am educated and successful. I also know a numerous amount of people that are very well educated and did something with their lives. Being a good parent is the key for a child to like succeed in life. Teachers did give importance to students when I was there. Some students just didn't care because Sunset was the COOL school to be at. You make the best of it where ever you are.. I support Sunset..

Posted April 9, 2009

I am an Alumni of Sunset. I think the school has done well. It has been in the community for a long time and my parents also attended school there. I would love to have my children attend also. The Choir is wonderful and I happen to disagree with most of the reviews that say most of the teachers there are only looking for a paycheck...many of my previous instructors did care alot about the students. Many of them went out of their way to help the students that needed the most help. They would spend much of their personal time to make sure that the material was understood and to help the students on anything! I am very grateful to them and wish that I could one day have the same done for my children...Thank you Sunset! GO BISON!! PURPLE AND WHITE!!

Posted September 12, 2008

I have had three out of four kids graduate from Sunset and my youngest will graduate in 2009.My kids enjoyed going there.Most of the teachers are only there for a pay check.And some teachers play favoritism,but it is very good school,I wouldn't let my kids go no where else.

Posted January 11, 2008

I use to be a student at Sunset High School between the years of 2002-2006 and I absolutely loved it there while it lasted! The tachers were great and staff did what they had to do to keep the students out of trouble and motivated to keep the good job going. I wish I could back!

Posted August 9, 2007

I am a student at Sunset High School and I believe that it is an OK school. I feel like my teachers are there just to receive a paycheck and do not have the real passion to teach. I also think that the administrative staff is very unorganized and is poor in planning stuff out. The only good thing I see at Sunset High School is the students! The students at Sunset High School have GREAT potential!

Posted May 1, 2007

The academics are great I won Best Actress in UIL competition, am going to Austin for all region competition for my solo, and I am also going to Europe with the sunset choir. The parent involvement is great. Many parents are getting together this year helping the student to raise money for are summer trip to Europe. Sunset is a great school to attend I would not want to be anywhere else. 'Go Bison!'

Posted November 28, 2006

Sunset is the best school ever. This school has come a long way and it will just keep getting better.

Posted October 31, 2006

As a student graduating this year from sunset i found that everything that a magnet school has can be just as good at a regular school like sunset. no one expects much of us, although our valedictorian will be attending Yale University and me myself who is ranked number 24 out of 400 seniors has been accepted to Southern Methodist University School Of Music and trhe Julliard School in Manhattan. No one thought that a poor school could produce such exemplified excellence in its students but we've proved the wrong.

Posted November 7, 2005

As a former student at Sunset High School and the mother of a current student at Sunset High School I have experienced first hand, the deteriation of this school. In no way do I believe this school prepared me or has prepared my Senior for the next step into college. Between the teachers and the attendance office your child will spend more time correcting attendance records with you the parent in an effort to keep you both out of truancy court. If your child tells you they were in class it's probably better to believe the child as opposed to the school. Your child will have little time to focus on academic programs, music, art, sports or extracurricular activities because most of their time and yours will be spent correcting attendance records. You will get a good feel for the court and judicial system by attending truancy court hearings and proceeding.

Posted July 12, 2005

this school is full of culture. Students could use a little more parent involvement.

Posted May 3, 2005

Sunset is a great achool when it comes to sports.

Posted September 17, 2004

I think of the teachers as another family to me. I loved my four years at Sunset high school. I miss all my teachers like Mr. Cook, Mrs. Amos, Col. Blakely,& Mr.Madden. I look up to them. Once a Sunset Bison always a bison. I miss my fellow bisons. I was a bison from August 1996 til May 2000. Sunset is always in heart.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 22, 2004

This is a great School! My daugther graduatad from SHS. and it changed her life. The teachars over ther are wonderful. The education, the sports, the activities they have made my daughter love school more than she did. Many people rate SHS As a bad school but, How can you say that when you have not had an experience there. I rate Sunset High School as one of the best.

Posted June 2, 2004

This school has been the best times of my daughters life all around good school from teachers to student to the programs!

Posted January 5, 2004

I graduated from Sunset in 1996. I think I did ok for myself even though I had teachers that could care less about my future. I graduated with very little effort and passed classes that I should not have. In most cases the teachers were scared of the students.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2003

The teachers at Sunset High are doing their best to have my daughter accomplish her high school diploma. The teachers have great attitudes toward the students. My daughter will graduate in 2005. Thanks to the outstanding teachers that are willing to make this happen.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

580 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

571 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

561 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

558 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

554 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

548 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

465 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

464 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education77%
Limited English proficient (LEP)93%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

661 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

693 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

512 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

6 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

490 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

626 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

494 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (972) 502-1501

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2120 West Jefferson Boulevard