Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat 1

Posted May 30, 2014
I hear this school was great for their academics and was convinced to bring my child in. But after my child went on to the next level after 6th grade, my child had poor grades and a low self esteem. My child has been telling me that her principal is very disorganized and has no leadership to run this school. I believe it was true, when I took her to school on the awards day, she was already in trouble for her dress that was said to be EXACTLY not professional. Unlike her, all the other girls were dress in sleeveless tight dresses that shouldn't be appropriate. I believe this principal has no fairness to the majority of the school. My daughter was crying badly believing that she was worthless for trying to look nice for her last year of Longfellow. This school isn't as great as I heard it would be. I give this school a 2-star rating

Posted March 07, 2014
The school is great. The principal is great. The teachers are great except the spanish teacher. My child complains about her all the time. All the other parents said the same thing.

Posted February 08, 2014
I am a 7th grader at Longfellow . I think that this school a Is actually really great. Our teachers are great and always help us if we need anything. However, I think having 8 classes instead of 7 like year is not a good idea. Our classes and our passing periods are shortened. I overall think that this is an exceptional school. I think students that are looking for a place to go to middle school should check out this one. They would really enjoy coming here.

Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat 3

Posted January 24, 2014
I have serious concerns about if the school is adequately preparing it's students to meet the demands of high school at any level. There is NO HOMEWORK! You may think this is a plus but I guarantee there will be homework in high school and these students will not be prepared to handle the load. In addition they are on an 8 period day with Wed being a shortened instruction day because of clubs from approx. 1pm until the end of the day. So they are receiving a shortened amount of class room instruction. One good thing is the smaller enrollment makes for a smaller campus and they do offer daily art, band or choir

Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat 2

Posted June 19, 2013
We had very high hopes for Longfellow that were unfortunately NOT MET during our child's first two years at the school. Our child was never given homework and recounted days spent doing very little in class, yet still maintained A's and B's throughout the year. The test scores for the school are very high but it became apparent pretty quickly that the reason for this is simply that the school only focuses on achieving high scores on standardized tests. Very little focus is given toward enriching or developing their students so that they can excel in high school. Upon bringing these concerns to the principal we were met with a dismissive, and somewhat combative attitude. The teachers seem to try to do their part, but have mentioned during parent/teacher conferences that they can only teach what they are "allowed" to teach. Which, in many cases, is a steady stream of practice tests for upcoming standardized tests. My child will not be continuing at Longfellow and I completely regret them attending for the last two years.

Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat 5

Posted November 24, 2012
I am a 8th grader at Henry w. Longfellow career exploration academy and i have to say that this school is amazing.During the 8th grade they take us on field trips to magnet high schools, which gives us a better perspective on high school.I have been here about 2 months now and i love this school.This school deserves more than 5 stars! go longhorns!

Posted September 15, 2011
My child has attended this school since 6th grade and is now in the 8th. The school overall to me is a good school for a teenager. My daughter on the other hand would prefer to go somewhere else she think the school is boring and would prefer to be in more extracurricular activities. I know that is important but she will have to wait for high school to do that, because I prefer a smaller diverse school as this one.

Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat 5

Posted September 12, 2011
I've heard great things about Longfellow Academy for years now. I kept up with this school thru a friend of mine who has a son in 8th grade this year and started at Longfellow in 6th grade. He always talks about the teachers, how they go the extra mile. As long as you are serious about your child's future and teach them to be just as serious about their future, this is a wonderful school. Not to mention...IT'S FREE!!! Don't let the lesson of hard work, dedication and homework deter your child from a successful future. Other that what should be taught at home, everything they need for success is at Longfellow. My son started 6th grade this year at Longfellow and loves it. So far, my personal experience with the teachers and principal has been great. As for not having sports what they instill in our kids more than make up for not having sports. They give kids the option to play for a nearby school. My son plays for the YMCA and other organizations in the community.

Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat 3

Posted April 10, 2011
Henry W. Longfellow is a Magnet school, so the students are expected to do well. They are chosen for this school by their grades and standings. For a parent to say that it has excess homework then they don't understand the meaning of Magnet School. This means that it is a school that is for students to excell

Posted August 13, 2009
My duaghter is starting this year, so I don't have a complete picture of the 'longfellow' experience yet, but so far I am very impressed with the faculty and the students i have met. Like they say, don't judge a book by its cover. Don't judge Longfellow by its campus. The building was clearly first rate when constructed. The building, added trailers and stark landscape could use some TLC. Inside though is the good stuff. Passionate teachers, interested students and a safe environment to really make some progress and get some learning done. One ding; no organized sports. We are planning on compensating, but it seems to me that this would really complete the school and make it a complete package and 5 stars. So for now 4 stars so far!

Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat
5314 Boaz Street, Dallas, TX  75209
Last modified Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henry W Longfellow Career Explorat Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top