Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I can't say enough about this school. My son went to Brinker at first and although Brinker has better test scores, Mitchell is better in so many ways. The Mitchell principal is freaking awesome. He is present every morning and afternoon greeting and giving high fives to students. He returns calls. He cares. Teachers are not too strict and are genuinely nice. The school lets you know, via email and other online communication tools, what kids learned and what they expect to teach weekly. The school is very diverse as well which I like because that represents the country we live in. Oh my goodness, I forgot to mention...When we first registered at Mitchell as a new family, I asked to meet with the principal (yes I do that because I am an involved parent). He met with me along with my son's new teacher for 30 mins. I asked questions and they explained school philosophy, security, programs, expectation of kids, etc. The school even has a parent teacher liason that called me to welcome our family to the school and explained the liason role and how she bridges the gap to help resolve and mitigate issues before it escalates to the principal.

Amount of homework: Agree

School 2016 school year is trying something new where hmwk isn't given in the traditional way. In terms of 3rd grade, students are required to read for 20 mins daily and practice math facts online using recommended free tool or parents can use other methods like flash cards, games, pratice sheets, etc.

Where do I even begin? Condescending staff. My child had over FIFTEEN teachers last year in kindergarten because it was "cheaper" to keep rotating subs rather than find a temp. I watched two teachers release a child into the care of a woman who was high on drug - while other parents protested. Only after I contacted the school board did the administration take it seriously. My child went MISSING at school and I was only notified after they found her two hours later. My child was dropped off a mile away from our house and walked from Frankford up North Dallas Pkwy. The PTA is closed minded and when you ask for help or input they issue formal letters kicking you off the PTA. I watched the light leave my what was a happy, enegetic, independent, eager to please child. My child became angry, frustrated, and confused. This horrible school had me believe that it was my child who was the problem. (The school my child is at this year has proven how wrong and aweful Mitchell Elementary and its teachers/staff were.) Shame on all of you! Everyone at this school needs to be fired and START OVER!

Mitchell Elementary is run as a dictatorship. The teachers love and admire the current Principle, as she is a teacher s principle. No extra circular activity is required of the teachers unless it is related to enhancing test scores or mandated by the school board. She has a strict rulebook with out flexibility for the students and parents resulting in a close door policy if it does not fall into the self imposed rules. The main focus of the school is State Standard Testing Scores, as in any public school unfortunately the campus has taken it to an extreme and drained the life out of the children and the school. Take the time to walk the halls if you are considering this school, what you will observe is the silence, bare walls, no color or warmth. With the locked down campus, teacher armed with walkie-talkies, unsmiling faces and curt manner.

I have been a parent at Mitchell Elementary for 10 years since we chose our house specifically for a strong Elementary, Middle School and High School(s) for our 3 girls ages 15,14 and 9. I am now on my 3rd principal and I can't say enough about how great the staff and Leadership is with Ms. Rucker. I agree with the comments below saying bullying issues were not dealt with with the last principal but things have improved now. 2 of my 3 daughters have had issues affecting their performance. In each case, solutions and support were offered to improve the situation. PTA and parent involvement is high for this school and that makes a tremendous difference.

When my bright and usually on-target 5th grader began to struggle with math, her teacher called me to discuss it. Instead of the usual talks about enforcing study habits, lamenting disorganization, wanting to punish her with less recess, etc. I was told that she could be enrolled in extra tutoring twice a week and math club after school once a week. How nice to have a school that offers solutions!

Mitchell Elementary is one of the best elementary schools in North Dallas. Highly qualified & loving teachers. Wonderful community: boy scouts, girl scouts, soccer, baseball, church's w/ excellent youth programs, major hospitals and shopping within 2 miles. Location, Location w/ 1-2 min access to North Dallas Tollway or 190 George Bush turnpike. See Frankford Exit off Tollway, or Midway exit off 190 George Bush Turnpike. Plano ISD, but City of Dallas address. Wonderful place to call home.

I've been in love with this school since my son began in Kindergarten. He is in 5th now. I must say all the student support and programs as well as the excellent teacher is great. What is not so great is the elitist attitude most of the parents have. My son has been since Kindergarten. He is nice, well behaved, smart and funny, yet he hasn't been invited to a birthday party since 1st or 2nd grade. I think they look at you for what you have or percieve that you haven't and not for who are. I'm just saying the way I see things. If it weren't for the great staff I'd have left long ago. The good outweighs the bad and God bless them all.

This is a great school. The teachers and principal are nice and understanding. They do not nit pick and they use positive ways to encourage the kids. The only reason I do not give them 5's across the board is because bully issues are not delt with in a firm way. As one person said they coddle the ones that have behavior issues.

Structure was not what I expected and the curriculum needs more points of emphasis on areas where students need most growth (analytical thinking). Too much coddling of students which does not help with behavior issues. Students need to be equipped with education and core life principles to be able to compete. Communication from staff to parents is not even kiel. The amount of time spent calling on things that are miniscule can be used to craft ways and means to address the concerns.

Last modified Mitchell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.