Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Mitchell Elementary School 1

Posted February 11, 2016
Where do I even begin? Condescending staff. My child had over FIFTEEN teachers last year in kindergarten because it was "cheaper" to keep rotating subs rather than find a temp. I watched two teachers release a child into the care of a woman who was high on drug - while other parents protested. Only after I contacted the school board did the administration take it seriously. My child went MISSING at school and I was only notified after they found her two hours later. My child was dropped off a mile away from our house and walked from Frankford up North Dallas Pkwy. The PTA is closed minded and when you ask for help or input they issue formal letters kicking you off the PTA. I watched the light leave my what was a happy, enegetic, independent, eager to please child. My child became angry, frustrated, and confused. This horrible school had me believe that it was my child who was the problem. (The school my child is at this year has proven how wrong and aweful Mitchell Elementary and its teachers/staff were.) Shame on all of you! Everyone at this school needs to be fired and START OVER!

Mitchell Elementary School 3

Posted April 23, 2015
Mitchell Elementary is run as a dictatorship. The teachers love and admire the current Principle, as she is a teacher s principle. No extra circular activity is required of the teachers unless it is related to enhancing test scores or mandated by the school board. She has a strict rulebook with out flexibility for the students and parents resulting in a close door policy if it does not fall into the self imposed rules. The main focus of the school is State Standard Testing Scores, as in any public school unfortunately the campus has taken it to an extreme and drained the life out of the children and the school. Take the time to walk the halls if you are considering this school, what you will observe is the silence, bare walls, no color or warmth. With the locked down campus, teacher armed with walkie-talkies, unsmiling faces and curt manner.

Posted April 14, 2014
I have been a parent at Mitchell Elementary for 10 years since we chose our house specifically for a strong Elementary, Middle School and High School(s) for our 3 girls ages 15,14 and 9. I am now on my 3rd principal and I can't say enough about how great the staff and Leadership is with Ms. Rucker. I agree with the comments below saying bullying issues were not dealt with with the last principal but things have improved now. 2 of my 3 daughters have had issues affecting their performance. In each case, solutions and support were offered to improve the situation. PTA and parent involvement is high for this school and that makes a tremendous difference.

Posted March 20, 2014
When my bright and usually on-target 5th grader began to struggle with math, her teacher called me to discuss it. Instead of the usual talks about enforcing study habits, lamenting disorganization, wanting to punish her with less recess, etc. I was told that she could be enrolled in extra tutoring twice a week and math club after school once a week. How nice to have a school that offers solutions!

Posted April 30, 2013
Mitchell Elementary is one of the best elementary schools in North Dallas. Highly qualified & loving teachers. Wonderful community: boy scouts, girl scouts, soccer, baseball, church's w/ excellent youth programs, major hospitals and shopping within 2 miles. Location, Location w/ 1-2 min access to North Dallas Tollway or 190 George Bush turnpike. See Frankford Exit off Tollway, or Midway exit off 190 George Bush Turnpike. Plano ISD, but City of Dallas address. Wonderful place to call home.

Mitchell Elementary School 4

Posted August 30, 2012
I've been in love with this school since my son began in Kindergarten. He is in 5th now. I must say all the student support and programs as well as the excellent teacher is great. What is not so great is the elitist attitude most of the parents have. My son has been since Kindergarten. He is nice, well behaved, smart and funny, yet he hasn't been invited to a birthday party since 1st or 2nd grade. I think they look at you for what you have or percieve that you haven't and not for who are. I'm just saying the way I see things. If it weren't for the great staff I'd have left long ago. The good outweighs the bad and God bless them all.

Mitchell Elementary School 4

Posted April 19, 2011
This is a great school. The teachers and principal are nice and understanding. They do not nit pick and they use positive ways to encourage the kids. The only reason I do not give them 5's across the board is because bully issues are not delt with in a firm way. As one person said they coddle the ones that have behavior issues.

Mitchell Elementary School 2

Posted August 04, 2010
Structure was not what I expected and the curriculum needs more points of emphasis on areas where students need most growth (analytical thinking). Too much coddling of students which does not help with behavior issues. Students need to be equipped with education and core life principles to be able to compete. Communication from staff to parents is not even kiel. The amount of time spent calling on things that are miniscule can be used to craft ways and means to address the concerns.

Posted June 11, 2010
I have to admit that you have the parent group down correctly for the most part. I am thankful that you don't rate a school based on a specific group of parents. The teachers, principle and staff are outstanding as well as many of the parents. Many children are taught by the parent and they just aren't kind or enclusive. It's unfortunate but we migjht as well get used to it now. We are not involved in the "choosen" sport but you can't get on the team anyway. Please don't blame the school, they do everything possible to help everyone feel comfortable. Hope you find a happier year in the fall. The educational level is excellent!

Mitchell Elementary School 2

Posted May 18, 2010
this school is so hard for new families who don't start in kindergarten. If you don't do organized sports forget it. The parents and PTA are quite simply cliquish. I've asked for playdates for my kids and a parent actually told me no! My kids aren't a problem, never a discipline problem, we have a nice house. My kids just want to go back to their old school and I wish they could too.

Mitchell Elementary School
4223 Briargrove Lane, Dallas, TX  75287
Last modified Mitchell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.