PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

St. Monica will love your kid, nurture your kid, and push them to become great young men and women. However, they don't coddle their kids as much as some other private schools so if you want the school to wipe your kids tushy all the way to college then there are several other to choose from. Personally, I think a school should push and encourage their students. SMS does this while still providing a fun experience. The homework is not excessive and it actually reinforces the work from the day. We are very blessed that our kids are intellectually gifted and we have the means to send them to any private school in town. We chose SMS because it provides the finest academic and moral education of any school in Dallas

We have been at SMS for two years and love it! My son quickly found his niche and has already created friendships that will last a lifetime. The teaching technique is far different from our public school district which we transferred from so academically we are still adjusting but this is not a bad thing. My only critique is that I would wish the teachers would try to understand unique situations and provide a helping hand rather than presume being "very smart" equates to all A's - it does not. But as a parent, one of my jobs is to be my son's advocate. I believe all schools have their negatives so I would have to say SMS can always strive for improvements but overall we love it. If we had to choose a school again, we would choose St. Monica again!

St. Monica has a good reputation with having great academic excellence and an "amazing community feeling" but, the experience with my daughter has proved otherwise. They have a ridiculous amount of homework... as well as tests, quizzes, and projects each week. I feel teachers don't give students the help and time they need to finish the work, and the attitude towards the students is that of superiority and make them feel stupid. They also have an aggressive attitude towards the students which I don't agree with. They put way too much emphasis in sports in my opinion and have favouritism over students that their parents are friends with teachers or that have been there a long time. There is no other way to put this... the schedules are horrible! They have no recess from when school starts at 8:00 am to 11:35, therefore students are tired and hungry and when they finally get to the cafeteria, they don't even have microwaves to heat up their food and if you are a new student, they don't know were to find the cafeteria food because it's hidden (at least i've never seen it). They pretend to be very welcoming and kind to new students but the truth is that it is very cliquey specially in my daughter's grade. The girls were rude and excluded her from the "group". The technology is not up to date because they have the old Dell computers and also have very old, slow laptops. They also incorporate technology in the classes very little. My daughter has horrible memories from this school and I wish the teachers would have done something to help her adapt better. The only good thing about this school is that they teach them to grow in their faith and learn about catholicism.

We have been at St. Monica for 5 years and just love it! The sense of community is so great and the admin and teachers are wonderful. Best academic and spiritual investment we could have made for our family!

St Monica Catholic School - LOVE THIS SCHOOL! We came to SMS 5 yearss ago when our daughters were entering 1st and 4th grade. We left the smaller, higher end private school because we didn't feel that the $ we were paying brought significantly that much more in the way of academics, culture, etc. And while everything at SMS may not be pretty and shiny new, the teachers, staff, and community are second to none. Because it is larger our kids immediately found what intersted them in the way of sports, clubs, groups, etc. Our transition was so smooth and the SMS community opened their arms to us and we have embraced it since then! There is always so much going on whether its sports, games, clubs, social events, there is truly something for everyone! We are so glad we made SMS our home. We wish we would have started here in PreK!

I love working at this school - I feel such a sense of community and a great partnership with families and the faculty and staff here at St. Monica. I appreciate prayer before meetings and the ability to work together as a team to make this school the best possible Catholic elementary school it can be. This is a jewel in the city of Dallas. Affordable, Quality Education. This school works on not only education - but how to be a good human being by giving back to others.......do come check out this school. I have been here 4+ years and I cannot say enough good about it.

Love. We moved from an A list Dallas private school to SMS for my son's *rd grade year and this is home! You will find a place here. I am proud that these families are in my children's lives. This community will last a lifetime for my children -- high school, college, careers -- they are truly supported forever. As for the academics, the school strikes the right balance with rigor in the curriculum. The new administration has implemented a writing program that is horizontal and vertically-integrated throughout the school. The middle school is outstanding. Jesuit and Ursuline consistently look to SMS for strong students. We have more boys going to Cistercian each year than any other school in DFW. Another 10 of 40 entering 5th grade next year are from SMS. There are problems such as bullying from some kids and some teachers are less than desired. But being elsewhere, I know this is not SMS-specific. Further, they have implemented a new bully-prevention program this year and the new admin seems to take evals of teachers seriously and looks to be ensuring teacher quality. Highly-recommended.

St. Monica School has been a blessing to our family! The teachers and staff are fully committed to ensuring all children get the best education available. Beginning with preschool all the way to 8th grade, the teachers are passionate about the students, subject and school. They know their "stuff" for sure; however, they also know how to work collaboratively with the student and parents to ensure the children are progressing. They have helped mold my kids into great students with outstanding study skills that will carry them through high school, college and beyond. A recent example of SMS's commitment to education is the opening of the beautiful, state-of-the-art June Cooper Learning Center for gifted and learning different students. I encourage you to make an appointment to tour the Center as well as the entire campus. You won't be disappointed. I promise, you and your child will grow to love the SMS community as we have. There's a reason, SMS has been thriving for more than 50 years. You need to go and check it out for yourself. Reading about it here is the first step, but seeing it for yourself is quite another. It's truly the best investment you'll ever make in your children!

St. Monica is a wonderful place to call HOME! It is so much more than just a school. The community is welcoming and there seems to be a place for everyone... no matter your interests. In my opinion, the larger size is a strength. My children are very different and have each found a group of friends and activities they enjoy. The teachers and faculty have been incredibly supportive. I particularly love the Christ centered, Catholic focus. Our new principal, Phil Riley, is extremely hands on and approachable. This administration is committed to making St. Monica the best it can be. The new June Cooper leaning center allows the school to reach all learners and they have always been very accommodating for my child with ADD. With this being said, no school is perfect but SMS is as close as perfect can get. As with all things in life, you get out what you put in. SMS is surrounded by loving families and staff that are extremely generous with their time and talents. We feel truly blessed to be a part of this community. Go Bearcats!!!

When looking for a parish school for our 3 sons, we visited St RIta, Christ the King and St Thomas, Because of the warm welcome and inclusive community, we chose St Monica and tall of our sons received an excellent education as well as a strong foundation in the Catholic faith. It is a great value for the education and a wonderful community. The community includes involved parents, grandparents and extended family and all work to support and better the school.

Last modified St. Monica Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8