No rating

St Bernard Of Clairvaux School

Private | PK-8 & ungraded | 185 students

We are best known for family centered environment.

Living in Dallas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $213,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted June 30, 2011

We are very happy at St. Bernards.... The academics are excellent, the teachers and staff are kind, the families are active and vested in the school. There is not a better place for our child to be nurtured and to grow to the best he can be!!! Thank you St Bernards School!!!

Posted June 30, 2011

For the life of me I just don't understand these former parents complaining about St. Bernard. These people have an axe to grind and the school is better off with them gone! No School is perfect and don't let anyone tell you that one is. My children have attended St. Bernard for 3 years now and we LOVE the school. The teachers are great and the principal has worked hard to build the school and continues to do so. St. Bernard's has a wonderful atmosphere, our kids love it and I know your's will too!

Posted June 18, 2011

Parents are pulling their kids out of this school on droves. Enrollment has almost been cut in half. The principal is very very hostile and combative such as hanging up on parents.

Posted April 1, 2011

My child flourishes at St. Bernard. St. Bernard has outstanding teachers who love doing their job. Did you know St. Bernard received an award for their outstanding Title I program? Did you also know St. Bernard has six 7th graders being tracked by Duke University for their outstanding performance on their standardized tests? Did you know almost all our basketball teams made it to the playoffs? This school is doing something right.

Posted March 4, 2011

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux is a wonderful school with inspired teachers and a motivated principal. If you are looking for a private school where your child will get plenty of attention, look no further. You will not be disappointed. Take a tour and see for yourself.

Posted February 12, 2011

I really don't understand comments about lack of communication from disgruntled parents. We have daily emails delivered directly to each parent's mailbox. If a parent does not have email, I print out what comes to me and send it home in my student's Homework Folder. Our school has a new online Renweb gradebook which gives information concerning student grades, homework, teacher concerns and direct answers to parent questions. Our principal regularly makes phone contact with parents and warmly greets parents throughout the day. We have monthly Home and School meetings where different organizations present reports about their individual functions. As a teacher at the school, I know that the principal's door is always open to parents and faculty/staff with any concern they might have. These negative comments are ridiculous and representative of parents who are no longer in control of our school. I love working here and wish parents would feel the same way about sending their children here. We have a strong, highly communicative leader, focused on families, teachers and students. Our school rocks!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 10, 2011

What a fantastic difference these past two years have made at St. Bernard. The school has the latest in technology, the best teachers, two new priests who are actively involved in the school, daily communication between the school and home, and most of all a new sense of pride in our school . Entering the school, you can feel the energy in the teachers, kids and parents. There is higher accountability for everyone involved in their commitment to our faith, education and our community. St. Bernard is rapidly becoming "The Best Little Catholic School in Dallas". I am so proud to be a part of this school.

Posted October 18, 2010

I moved my kids from a "big" Catholic School to St. Bernard, so that there could be more emphasis on education versus family status. The school has improved dramatically since Mrs. Balcom was hired! Some long time parents of SBS do not seem to be as pleased, because rules that should have been in place all along are now being implemented. The school is now ran by the principal, not the parents, which is the way it should be. There are wonderful thingsgoing on with new committees and members throughout. The new Priests this year are also great, my kids love them! St. Bernard is now on the right track, thanks to Mrs. Balcom. I feel great sending my kids to school every day.

Posted October 16, 2010

Over the past 2 years THERE is definitely more than 3 NEW teachers...who is doing the math on the last comment !!!!!

Posted October 4, 2010

This school is supposed to have a close knitted environment and that is what I wanted for my child. In reality, everything is communicated through group emails, most of the teachers are brand-new with less than one year teaching experience and there are no parent teacher conferences. The school is supposed to care about each individual child but their is no personalization at all. For such a small school it is a shame. It is better to go public or pay more for school. This school isn't worth the money.

Posted August 31, 2010

We have been increasingly disappointed with this school for the last few years. Bullying is a big issue with this school that they refuse to look at. We agreed to stay another year when we heard new teachers were being hired. That was a bad decision. We saw the principal's true colors when we needed to talk to her about problems with one of those new teachers. I agree with other reviewers that she is arrogant and has given the school a hostile environment.

Posted August 31, 2010

I was a student here from kinder to the start of 6th grade. At this school i was bullied and the teachers didnt do anything about it and the principal and one of the new teachers did unchristian like things(which is a very bad example for others) This school is NOT what its cracked up to be.

Posted March 23, 2010

I have been a parent of St. Bernard School for 9 years. I honestly can say that it has been a great experience for my child and also my family. Each day I drop off my child at St. Bernard, I never have to worry about him as far as his safety. It seems like everyone knows each other and looks after each other. I can feel the love as soon as I walk through the front doors of the school. We have some great teachers that take the time to work hard with our kids. This year, St Bernard was fortunate to get a new principal. Her name is Mrs. Balcom. She has brought so many good changes to the school, plus she really cares for our children like they are her own children. The office staff is great too. I would highly recommend St. Bernard to any parent.

Posted January 29, 2010

This is our first year at st. Bernard, my daughter loves going to school. Everyone there including the new principal are very nice. I think the changes that are happening are for the best of our children. This is the reason why i send my daughter to private school instead of public. I do want the principal to be strict about anything that happens at school that is not supposed to be happening!! we definitly refer this school, it is a great one, well worth your money.

Posted December 9, 2009

St. Bernard was a great school to have your kids attend until the 2009 school year. Faustino Leos was a wonderful principal and cared about the students and staff as well as parents. A new principal has been introduced as of Augus of 2009. The school now has a hostile environment feel to it. The new principal takes all and any issues to the extreme. I have had children attend St. Bernard now for 10 yrs and this by far the most unorganized and worst year ever. I highly doubt my we will attend next year.

Posted July 18, 2008

My child flourishes at St. Bernard. At last, a school where the teachers CARE about EACH child and their abilities. Principal Leos is wonderful and Fr. Martin is a treat.

Posted April 24, 2008

I was apprehensive about sending my child to st. Bernard's and only did so out of support for the parish's now deceased pastor. I have been pleasantly surprised by the warmth and sense of community as well as the individual attention i see every child receive. All of the teachers know all of the children and the whole community is very tight-knit and homey. I do think there are too many fundraisers starting very early in the school year. I was not terribly impressed with the second grade math program. The school has very high expectations of its working parents and should allow a buy-out for mandatory volunteer activity. But all in all our experience has been very good. St. Bernard's is definitely a good value for the money. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a private school in the east dallas area.

Posted February 1, 2008

This is a school that is filled with learning we have a great science and ecpecialy a great math teacher it is so great to have the privalage to go to sbs
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 27, 2007

Greatly prepares your kids in Literature and grammar, but is average in mathematical preparation.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 20, 2006

St. Bernard of Clairvaux is a wonderful learning environment for any child. We chose this school because of its small size and warmth as you enter the school. Every student knows every other student. You don't get that in any of the other surrounding schools. The teachers and staff are outstanding!

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Our first year to compete in PSIA earned us 17 ribbons with two students going to state in art. (2010)
  • St. Bernard's stong middle school science program earned two first place prizes in Lego Rogotics. (2010)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 7:55 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Tommie Balcom
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (214) 321-4060

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
College preparation / awareness resources offered
Transportation options
  • Cafeteria
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Dallas

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council