St. Bernard of Clairvaux School

Private | PK-8 | 185 students

We are best known for family centered environment.

Living in Dallas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $213,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Sweep tile

Posted February 24, 2014

Very good school with intelligent and caring teachers. Great option if you are going the private route...you don't have to be Catholic.

Posted November 8, 2013

We are happy here. It has exceeded our expectations. We found out though the principal (very well informed) that 95% of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux graduates are accepted to Honors Level Programs at public schools, or Catholic High Schools. Great environment for learning. Outstanding teachers and curriculum.

Posted October 10, 2013

This is a really great, small school tucked away in a nice neighborhood in Dallas (Little Forest Hills). Great for PK-8 families.

Posted August 13, 2013

Just left the New Parent Orientation! Helpful staff and warm welcome from principal. Can't wait to be a part of this growing community and school. Very Impressed!

Posted August 6, 2013

This school will nickel and dime you broke! The tuition you pay nor the fundraising is enough for this school. They want you to donate items for them to profit from, volunteer with all kinds of projects so they won't have to hire someone to do. Even carpet was a donation and so was the installation! They even had the audacity to ask for parents to donate dishes to use in the cafeteria. Ridiculous! Who is making money here? Where is the money going? The catholic diocese? The pope? It certainly isn't going back to the school and the students.

Posted July 2, 2013

I was expecting this Catholic school to be passionate about religion. However, all prayers were demonstrated in a very meaningless way with no feeling or expression behind them. I like children to learn to focus and acknowledge what they are praying for, not just repeating words. On another note, materials are so outdated yet they want you to teach state standards but fail to provide adequate resources. The principal is extremely unprofessional, hostile, and knows how to talk a big game but when asked to actually perform becomes defensive. She passes the buck to her sidekick vice-principal that is equally disrespectful and unprofessional. They lack communication skills and are definitely not role models nor examples of "Christians" that I would ever allow my children to look up to.

Posted June 2, 2013

My child has attended SBS for 2 years now and it is an amazing school. The principal and leadership of the school insures all the children are being challenged academically no matter their skill level. The teachers, staff and parents are very involved in all aspects of the school which creates an unparalleled community. If you are looking for a small, unquie school where you are accountable for your actions. Then SBS is the place for your family!

Posted December 12, 2012

I know my child is receiving a better education in our local public elementary school.The curriculum at St. Bernard's was so lacking that my child had to have tutoring to catch up. My child had a 97 average when we left St. Bernard's.

Posted December 7, 2012

I would have to agree that positive posts usually follow negative ones. As a rational, educated person, I can clearly see that negative, disgruntled, vindictive parents and teachers can use these type of sites to anonymously rant against a school without having to justify their complaints. It also makes sense that members of a community would rally behind their school in support. They would tell others to do the same. If not, only the negative would be viewed by those searching for a warm, caring and nurturing school for their family. That's why you have to go and visit schools and see for yourself. Great job, St. Bernard!

Posted November 28, 2012

St. Bernard is a terrific school filled with caring teachers who strive to make a difference in the lives of its students. Tucked back in the cozy Little Forest Hills and Casa Linda Estates neighborhoods, SBS is on the forefront of academic excellence and student achievement. I have taught at St. Bernard since 2010 and have witnessed first-hand the attention to detail and strong leadership on the part of the Principal. Students are challenged through differentiated instruction and dynamic, engaging curriculums. I am proud to be part of a teaching staff that is always encouraged to nurture the heart and spirit of our students as well as inspire, engage and challenge their minds.

Posted November 27, 2012

St. Bernard's is a gem! This is my second year teaching here and I love the community, students and fellow teachers. I've taught for many years, I have never worked with better teachers. My students are happy and enthusiastic and we have a great time learning together. It is my pleasure to recommend our school.

Posted November 27, 2012

My children have attended St. Bernard's since 2007 and it's a great school! A very close knit family oriented atmosphere with a Christ-centered education background. The Principal offers strong leadership and under her tenure the school has improved each year. Any comments to the contrary are just factually untrue. This is a great school, with great teachers and strong Christian leadership. If you are looking for a school for your kids, please give St. Bernard's a visit, I promise you will not be disappointed!

Posted November 27, 2012

This will be our 6th year at St Bernard and we love it here. I love that the classes are small, the teachers are enthusiastic and the school does a great job communicating homework assignments, school happenings, achievements, etc. The use of technology has vastly improved over the years. I wish they had a bigger play area/fieldhouse, but overall it is a great little school. There is a strong parent/teacher volunteer base, but it can def be improved upon.

Posted November 14, 2012

My kids have been going to St Bernards for about 15 years. Ihave aways enjoyed the tenured teachers as well as the families whose children attend ST B. Funny how things change though. Especially under poor leadership. Since the newest principal has been there the entire culture of the school has changed. Several families as well as employees have left the school because of the principal. The principal is not open to parent suggestions, makes biased accusations towards students, evidently pressures teachers because they do the same. I can't believe that we will be leaving the school on bad terms and it just breaks my heart. If you think that Iam the one that has a problem, try attending one of their carnivals. They used to be SOOO much bigger.

Posted September 9, 2012

I am doubtful about having my children for more than this year. I understand how schools proceed with communication and rules. Nonetheless, my main concern is curriculum. Innovation and community must be the most important pillars of any school as our children are going to be responsible for this country's future and generations no matter what government is leading. I see that the school is very old fashioned in the way that is instructing children with zero options for discovery and inquiring minds.

Posted June 10, 2012

My son just finished his first year at SBS. We are very please with the progress he made in kindergarten. We will be attending the 2012-2013 school year. I love the staff and the teachers. My son loves the staff and the teachers. I always know what is going on with daily emails and announcements on Renweb. I love the small classes and the "Raise The Bar" attitude the principal expects from the teachers, students and parents. I have read negative reviews about the current principal. My experiences with her have been nothing but pleasant. I have watched my son's educational and spiritual growth really blossom since attending SBS. This school has been a true blessing for my family.

Posted August 11, 2011

We Love our Wonderful St. Bernard School. We demand academic excellence and traditional Catholic values. My daughter has been attending SBS for years and loves the school and our caring and professional teachers. I wanted a smaller school as I felt she would have a greater opportunity for education - she does! In 2009 a new principal was hired. She is a highly educated individual, very motivated, energetic, and dedicated to seeing that our students receive an outstanding education and continues to improve school programs. Changes were made. New teachers were hired. My daughter's grades shot up to A-B level because of this. We have online Renweb, and can now see grades, homework, and send questions to teachers which are always answered. I love this! We have Teacher Conferences and monthly Home and School Meetings. Principal's door is always open to students, parents, faculty and staff members. Being the Principal of a school is not an easy job. You just can't seem to satisfy all parents but keep doing your very best. Just want to say, This is a Great School. Take a minute and stop by for a tour and meet the principal and teachers. You'll love it.

Posted August 1, 2011

I love this school! So many good things to say. It is a small community so everyone gets along so well and the communication is excellent. I get something from the principal at least weekly if not more! I would reccomend this school to anyone who wants their child to have a great education and long lasting friendships.

Posted June 30, 2011

St. Bernard has a nurse who monitors our immunization records and screens students for vision, hearing and scoliosis each year. We have a librarian, paid office staff and a playground supervisor. Our Home and School Association is bigger and better than ever making plans for an awesome 2011-2012 school year. Our parent volunteers are the best ever and St.. Bernard relies on them for a variety of tasks just as every private school in the country does. St. Bernard is a great little school in a great little neighborhood.

Posted June 30, 2011

We are very happy at St. Bernards.... The academics are excellent, the teachers and staff are kind, the families are active and vested in the school. There is not a better place for our child to be nurtured and to grow to the best he can be!!! Thank you St Bernards School!!!

Asian 7% N/A
Two or more races 4% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Our first year to compete in PSIA earned us 17 ribbons with two students going to state in art. (2010)
  • St. Bernard's stong middle school science program earned two first place prizes in Lego Rogotics. (2010)

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Tommie Balcom
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (214) 321-4060

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Dallas

• Creative writing

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Parents are encouraged to volunteer at the school either by serving lunch in the school cafeteria or on the playground.