No rating

Lakehill Preparatory

Private | K-12 | 400 students

Living in Dallas

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $329,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted April 2, 2013

Lakehill Preparatory, I can start off by saying that i love the school and its education program. At Lakehill everyone knows everyone so the small size benefits all. One great thing is that the students are able to get as much individual time with teachers as needed which never lets them fall behind. There is always a friendly atmosphere and smiling faces, the food is good and the lunch ladies always brighten my day!! LPS has a great sports department and all students get the chance to play, also a great volunteer program to give to the community. Since its K-12 the upper school always does fun activities with the lower school to set a great example. Lakehill is all around a fun place to be and a very relaxed environment which makes school something to look forward to in the student's eyes!!

Posted March 22, 2013

Both of my children attended Lakehill beginning in Kindergarten. One chose to stay for high school. The other chose to attend the local high school (Woodrow pre-AP courses) to be in a larger environment. Each of my children was in the best environment for them. That being said, the college preparation at Lakehill was significantly better than the pre-AP and AP program at Woodrow. The overall level of caring and involvement of the teachers at Lakehill was greater. The response of administration to parent concerns was stronger at Lakehill. The amount of parent involvement was much higher at Lakehill. The sports at Woodrow were more competitive than at Lakehill. My child who attended Lakehill was able to participate with much success in a variety of activities achieving All-State status in football, basketball, and debate. I would highly recommend this school. However, it is a small school. So if your child is looking for a larger environment, Lakehill might not be the place for him/her.

Posted March 20, 2013

There are a few good things about this school if you like to be sequestered in a tiny environment with little excitement. Most people are here because they don't want to be somewhere else. If the parents will let them, the kids leave. The ones living in the neighborhood have jumped ship to the DISD schools. Shocking, it would appear. However the middle and high school (Long and Woodrow) offer International Baccalaureate and a myriad of extracurricular activities and sports. I think half the sophomore class left for Woodrow. Some Lakehill veterans are freaked to learn that they can't handle the rigor of IB at Woodrow. Also WW has a very strong AP program with twice the course selections of Lakehill.

Posted January 3, 2013

I was excited to go on to Lakehill. I was transfered from Greenhill to Lakehill because of convenience. Looking back however I would have stayed at Greenhill. The school has significant bullying and the kids are not only obstreperous and arrogant, but they are also ignorant. As a former student of Greenhill, the contrast of students and their behaviors couldn't be bigger. They are much more cruel and unaccepting on things such as religion and race. The school staff is not near as informative as they were at Greenhill. I am a student who asks many questions and most of my more critical and in-depth thinking questions go unanswered. The school and its students absorbs enthusiasm and liveliness from people effectively turning them into "zombies". The school lacks most amenities, giving students superfluous electives and forces kids to limit most of their expectations in life. Their "claims" of connections and their students going on to high ranking colleges are simply bogus. Rarely does a student at Lakehill even leave the state for college. Lakehill is one of the weakess ISAS, SPC,SACS schools in all of Dallas and Fort Worth. No wonder all of the middle schoolers want to leave.

Posted July 3, 2012

I can honestly say that this is four years of my life I will never get back. My year in lower school was amazing, I had the best teacher and everything was going fine. Then the horrible middle school days kicked in. I've seen some reviews addressing bullying, which in fact is completely true. The school is so small and profligates their money on an unnecessary environmental science center, money that could be used to make the middle school students actually want to stay for high school. I am overjoyed that I am leaving for high school. I am super disappointed in my overall Lakehill experience. Look elsewhere for a good private school!

Posted May 30, 2012

What a wonderful college preparatory school nestled in the Lakewood community in Dallas, Texas. My son drove all the way from Plano to attend this well directed college preparatory school! The administrative and academic leadership is fantastic. The school s academic program is challenging and offers upper school students a variety of quality AP courses. The student body is very inclusive and fun! My son was able to fit immediately which is a testament to the school. The school's community service programs are wonderful! Students giving back to the community are a tradition at the school. In addition, there are all kinds of competitive sports teams available for students. The school s baseball coach was awesome with his players, too!! Way to go R.C.! I can't say enough good things about this school!!! Thank you Headmaster, Perry!

Posted May 15, 2012

I completely agree with other parent's comments about bullying, catering to higher income parents and lack of educational opportunities. Bullying is ongoing and there is very little intervention from administration. Lower school is wonderful and is led by the most amazing head of lower school. Im thrilled my child went through those years. Middle school has been a mixed bag and there was NO way I would send my child to HS there. There is ALOT of pressure from staff to stay for HS and anyone who visits another school is made an example of. Very few (somewhere around 15 at last count) out of 40 are actually staying. Its a shame that the administration cant spend more of their money taking care of the middle school kids to make them want to stay or rather relocate the high school so that it is longer than a hallway. Alot of money was spent on an environmental science center and a football field named after the principal while other things were ignored. The sports are only important to faculty if you are in HS and only mildly so. Parents have to pick up a lot of the slack here in terms of extracurricular activities. Also, in middle school they are offered meaningless electives.

Posted May 6, 2012

Lakehill has many unaddressed problems with bullying. The administration ignores parental input on curriculum and prefers parents focus on fund raising only. The administration treats higher income parents more favorably than lower income parents. Lakehill's test scores are mediocre at best and certainly not what they should be for the tuition. Certain staff members frown upon working moms. Your child can get a much better education elsewhere and for less money.

Posted April 13, 2012

If you're dreams for you child are for them to get into a good high school, you will find yourself spending several thousand on tutors as a Lakehill Education will not provide what they need on the entrance exams. Expect to either dish out thousands or stay the entire twelve years. They are TINY and the bullying that goes on is awful and with so few students there is no where for your child to go when they need to try to seek new friendships and get away from the trouble makers. Again.. get tutors (GOOD ONES) if you plan on your child excelling. It's sad but true.

Posted March 5, 2012

My two children have gone to Lakehill since Kindergarten. I have been very happy with the experience. It is the right balance between vigor and allowing the kids to still be kids. You can expect 30 minutes to 2.5 hours of homework in lower and middle school. It is a little strange but you will find 4th grade has more homework that 5th and 6th. The high school has a slew of AP credit courses. The school has proven to take feedback well and the school does address issues as they arise. If you want your son or daughter to get a sports scholarship for College, Lakehill will not work for you. Instead your child will probably be involved in a fall, winter and spring sport.

Posted February 9, 2012

Ive been at lakehill for 4 years, and honestly, this school has done nothing for me. Ive been bullied every year and have told the school but they have done nothing about it.

Posted December 28, 2011

If your child is smart, creative, outgoing, inquisitive, do NOT send your child to this school, as they will systematically ruin all your childs' self -esteem. This is our child as described above, and the administration might as well have painted a target on her chest. She was constantly being singled out as the "perpertrator", even when she clearly wasn't. Discipline was so illogical, I as the parent stopped going along with it. IT TOOK MY CHILD 4 YEARS OF THERAPY TO REBUILD HER SELF-ESTEEM. Stay away.

Posted October 10, 2011

I'm the parent of a child in Lower School at Lakehill and it warms my heart there are schools such as Lakehill in the Dallas area. Lakehill is so nurturing and provides such a safe haven for my son while really stretching him academically. We are so fortunate to have found Lakehill and will indeed be "lifers"!

Posted August 26, 2011

I am a parent of a child who attended Lakehill for seven years. We had to remove our child because she was consistently picked on to the extent it affected her mental outlook on going to school and academics. We addressed this with the teachers over several years--one teacher advised us to remove her before we did because the school would not do anything to stop the harassment of children. On several occasions we had to intervene in situations involving children at the school where school officials were present. The principal is the worst offender. In addition, the academics and teachers were hit or miss. Math was lagging for our child and each time we would ask about how this could be addressed, we were told we needed to spend time with her at home (we were already spending 10 weeks during the summer doing the summer math workbook). No extra effort on the part of the school was offered. Our child finished at a very competitive high school and did very well in college, but still is angry about her Lakehill experience. Knowing what we do today, we feel keeping here there was a serious mistake on our part. If you are considering Lakehill as an option, please reconsider.

Posted December 6, 2010

I have attended Lakehill for 11 years and have had a great experience. This school has challenged me and has allowed me to develop greatly as a student and a community leader. The best thing about Lakehill is that it is so small. All of the teachers are willing to help the students on a one-on-one basis and the individual attention excellent. The students at this school are very active. I love Lakehill because I have had the chance to be involved in everything that I want and still keep up with my challenging classes. I play 3 sports and am active and many clubs and community activities. Students at Lakehill are eager to learn and Lakehill really is a great school communtiy.

Posted September 20, 2010

My child attended Kindergarten at Lakehill last year and is in first grade this year. We have had a very positive experience so far. We love the small class sizes (12 students). It IS academically rigorous with homework 4 days a week as well as nightly reading. But, our son is a bright boy and is being challenged at Lakehill. He is really thriving and we are just thrilled about that. Right now, I feel that we are giving him the best education in Dallas.

Posted June 23, 2010

I attended Lakehill for grades 9-12 and was thoroughly impressed by the experience. The intimate classroom environment provided many opportunites that larger schools don't have available. I was in numerous school sponsored clubs and events. Lakehill encourages free thought and individuality.

Posted May 10, 2010

I am an alumni of Lakehill. I cannot tell you what a wonderful highschool experience I had. There was always so much going on and offered in terms of extracurricular. I have felt so prepared as a Freshman in college. My friends from Lakehill will be lifelong. I am so happy my parents moved me to Lakehill for Upper School, it has afforded me many opportunities i life.

Posted April 18, 2010

It was the worst experience I've ever had. I attended this school for a while and it was awful!!!!! I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible!!! The academics were outrageously rigorous, and if you aren't willing to give up your whole social life for school, it is not for you. The students at lakehill were not very good people to be around. Don't waste your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted January 30, 2010

I am a student in and I just want to say that Mr. Perry is the nicest man in the world and some of the teachers are great. I am active in every sport because there are no try-outs so you can imagine the range of students' athletic abilities on the team. If you get just a tad behind its almost impossible to catch back up. Almost every student has been exposed and or tried to do drugs. The computers class is the biggest joke I've ever seen. I arrived into sophomore year, needed to know how to use excel and power point clueless. I dread every day of school and beg my parents to let me out. Don't be fooled by these parents comments because they are oblivious to what actually goes on. Every one of my friends does not like going to school here.

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now