No rating

Lakehill Preparatory

Private | K-12 | 400 students

Living in Dallas

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $329,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted September 23, 2009

As a parent of a child who has been at Lakehill for 5 years since kindergarten, the most glaring problem would be the lack of oversight of the teachers. There is definitely a lack in consistency from grade to grade (each grade as only 2 teachers). There is no oversight. Some teachers arrive at 7:30, some at 8:00. Some teachers have the children doing a lot more work at school and at home than others. Each one tends to run their classroom according to their own desires. There don't seem to be any classroom rules and curriculum guidelines for the teachers to follow to ensure a smooth transition from one grade to another. Also, about half of the lower school classrooms, and most of the upper school classrooms are extremely cramped. They need to add an addition to the building to acommodate everyone.

Posted July 7, 2009

My child has attended this school since Kindergarten and now in middle school I have found the academics seriously lacking. In addition, the lack of clubs and extracurricular activities for the students is far underpar from that of other private schools of similar tuition value. My child will be moving onto another school in the very near future where they can have the opportunities that a private school should afford you.

Posted June 10, 2009

Both of my sons graduated from Lakehill, and while some teacher experiences were lacking, overall they are both are caring, tolerant, thinking young men with a love of reading. I attribute much of this to the family atmosphere of Lakehill, the guidance of their teachers, and leadership of Headmaster Roger Perry.

Posted May 12, 2009

I am currently attending Lakehill Preparatory School. The environment of the school is very cramped. The school is way too small. Secondly, the athletic department is absolutely repulsive. In physical education classes, the students do not do anything productive and essential for a well-rounded student's being. The student and coach relationship is purely favoritism. As for the academic teachers, some of them are great and truly care about our succession in life and in college. On the other hand, some of the teachers are not in any shape, way, or form, involved with the students on a one-on-one basis. I think it's great for elementary school but the middle and high school are not worth the tuition asked. I wouldn't recommend my high school to any parent who wants a well-balanced school.

Posted March 1, 2009

I am a former student at Lakehill. I went to Lakehill from K-8. Im now at Bishop Lynch HS and it is so much better than Lakehill. Lakehill does not have near as many opportunities as other schools.

Posted July 31, 2008

My children attend Lakehill Prep and we are so pleased with the academic and social environment. The school is just the right size and the community is very familial. The teachers are very dedicated and know each child and how to challenge them.

Posted May 30, 2008

I am a graduate of Lakehill prep school and I think that their english and math departments are very strong; foreign language anc science were a little lacking by the time i graduated. Overall i was well prepared for college and had the tools and experience I needed to become involved in college academics and life.

Posted March 2, 2008

I am currently a student at Lakehill and I am looking at greatschools.org to find a new school to attend. Lakehill's teachers are wonderful, most of them really do care a lot about our education and want to see us succeed in every way possible. The athletics system at Lakehill however is horrible. The coaches are judgemental, overly involved with students and cross a lot of boundaries. A lot of my fellow students say that they wish their parents didn't make them go there. Lakehill is too small. Lakehill is quick to harshly punish, suspend, or expell a student that is not well liked by other students, has a 'C' or below in any of their classes, or is on financial aid. They just casually look the other way if it one of their advanced or full tuition paying students that is acting up.

Posted August 2, 2007

I have a child who would be lost at a large public school. Everyone at Lakehill has gone out of their way to capitalize on her strengths and improve on her weak areas. The fact that she has literally grown up with the other kids in her class has resulted in them all having more tolerances for each others differences and less teasing and clique culture than one would find in other environments. When the inevitable conflicts have occured at school we have always found the staff and faculty reasonable and easy to work things out with. One of the strongest points about LPS is the sense of community we have found there.

Posted June 20, 2007

Fabulous school. My child is challenged, yet nurtured. Emphasis on the child's education, not state mandated tests. Extraordinary civic involvement and preparation for life out of high school. Teachers are genuinely involved with each child's success and it shows. There is so much respect between everyone involved, from faculty and administration down to children and parents. Best school in Texas!

Posted January 2, 2007

While Lakehill is a great community of parents, there seems to be little parental involvement when it comes to the important core values of a school like academics, teacher quality and extra-curricular activities. For the price of tuition, parents should demand more from the school rather than resort to paying outside tutors to make up for a lack of teaching quality. Teacher quality varies from grade to grade. Some of Lakehill's teachers are excellent while some should seriously consider a career change. Where Lakehill falters is a lack of consistency. Also, the administration does not heed parents' requests for change and accountability.

Posted November 28, 2006

We are very pleased with the education our children are receiving at Lakehill. They are nurtured, challenged, excited about their accomplishments and most of all they are happy! I have career opportunities out of state, but have turned them down -- Lakehill keeps us in Dallas.

Posted August 3, 2006

We love this school. Lakehill has challenged and nutured both of our children and we have watched them succeed and grow in ways we never imagined. We moved and changed jobs to make the commute to Lakehill easier on our kids because we have no doubts about the excellent quality of the education they are receiving at Lakehill.

Posted April 29, 2006

EXCELLENT SCHOOL! My kids love it. The academics here are fantastic. It is a diverse School too. They just need to hire at least one counselor for a private School, that goes from K to 12th. They need to find a way to put it in the budget. Counselor should be there every day all day. I love this school other than that. great teachers and administrators. The parents are very involved and so nice. I recommend this school to everyone.

Posted February 23, 2006

As an alumnus of Lakehill, I appreciate the foundation it provided me both academically and socially. As a college administrator, I appreciate the strong college preparation Lakehill students undergo. Lakehill graduates are easily acclimated to the demands and challenges presented in college.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 13, 2006

Wonderful small private school. Outstanding resources. Older buildings, but don't be put off -- this school is top-notch, and an absolute bargain.

Posted January 24, 2006

Academic opportunities are top notch. Teacher involvement is unmatched.

Posted July 12, 2005

We sent our son to Lakehill Prep from the 7th grade to graduation.We believe he received a superior education. He is now attending UT as an honor student majoring in mechanical engineering with an emphasis on thermal fluid systems. He graduated from Lakehill second in his class. Not only was the curriculum advanced it was also challenging. Lakehill also places high importance on citizenship and students bad behavior is not tolerated. My son also believes it helped him in many social skills areas. The faculty is very much loved and adored by students. He also feels his course work has helped him excel at UT he feels he is further along than students from other schools. He was involved in various sports and extracurricular activities, although the music dept. was not so strong. Parent involvement is extremely high at lakehill

Posted January 14, 2005

Most teachers are highly educated with a doctrine. most kids graduate high school with acceptance and a scholarship. advanced and gear kids to be prepared for college. anyone can do any thing whether it be football golf acting ect.

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab