Lakehill Preparatory

Private | K-12 | 400 students

Living in Dallas

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $329,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted November 20, 2013

I have attended Lakehill since 3rd grade. In lower school, I had amazing teachers and I enjoyed school. In middle school, however I was bullied, and because of the size of the school, I could not make any new friends or escape bullies. Rumors also spread fast in a school so small. I am more excited than I should be to attend a different high school. There are some amazing teachers, but I would not recommend Lakehill for middle or high school.

Posted November 19, 2013

Lakehill is a wonderful school. It is incredibly inclusive. As a Lower School parent, I have found myself going to the Upper School athletic events, and my kids couldn't wait to see the musical this weekend which was fabulous! My kids came home excited to have made stocking stuffers in their Tribes (family groups than span K-12) for the stockings that are given to the 150 senior citizen guests that come for lunch in December. This week they are looking forward to performing for their grandparents in the annual Grandparents Day celebration. Their grandparents travel many, many miles for this event and love every minute of it!

Posted November 18, 2013

This school has been everything my family and I could have wished for when searching for a school seven years ago. The teachers are top notch, in fact ten of them were selected as finalists for the Greater East Dallas Chamber's Teacher of the Year awards and two Lakehill teachers will be honored tomorrow as East Dallas Teacher of the Year (Elementary and Middle School categories). The children who attend Lakehill are truly fortunate to have such outstanding educators. We as parents benefit greatly as well. But a review is just one person's opinion. Don't take my word for it - visit the school, meet the teachers, and see how engaged the students at Lakehill are. I suspect, that like us, it might just be everything you are looking for!

Posted November 18, 2013

I really had to laugh out loud at some of the negative posts I've read below. Lakehill is such a small, close-knit community that when someone leaves a negative review, everyone knows who is behind the keyboard and everyone knows the real story. As the father of a middle schooler who just passed through lower school, and an upper schooler, I hear a lot about what goes on between kids! I've yet to encounter a school where kids were never mean to each other, for example. But bullying? Please! Parents who call every disagreement "bullying" are laughable. If anything, the occasional spats kids have are more like arguments between siblings, because the kids spend so much time around each other that they really are like family. I've always felt that my kids were well-respected and supported at Lakehill, and they've always felt that teachers have helped them solve their problems with maturity and support. Don't believe the negative posts; visit the school, talk to the teachers, talk to the kids. You've never encountered a school with such warmth and genuine care, I promise you. You'll feel it walking through the door. Other schools are bigger, but no place has more heart.

Posted November 18, 2013

I am a Middle School student at Lakehill who has attended here since kindergarten. I think Lakehill is a great school for a lot of reasons: the teachers are so helpful and I feel like we learn so much! Also the kids are very nice to each other and there is a lot of friendly socializing after class. The teachers will give you lots of personal attention and are available before and after school. In class you will learn a lot of interesting and very important material. I have had a great time being at Lakehill and I look forward to many more fun years here.

Posted November 11, 2013

We had been at Lakehill for years and removed our child because the students are cliquish and tend to be extremely negative toward each other. This is the normal way of socializing. Many kids are excluded and at such a small school, that is lethal for a young person's self image. My child got a major education in what not to do, watch or talk about from classmates - not mildly offensive but completely over the top. Their social experience was not good tho we were lucky and didn't experience bullying as several others have. We have choices in Dallas and we made a poor one sending our child here.

Posted August 26, 2013

I went to two different schools throughout my high school career, but Lakehill was truly a blessing. The teachers are amazing and I was more than prepared for college. I got into many top tier schools, INCLUDING state schools (UT, UC'S, etc.) and I can attribute that to hard work, dedication, and preparation from a great school. I have been to both Hillcrest, which I loved, but was too big for my liking, and Greenhill School which was lacking in many areas such as kindness, morals, preparation, and much more. The kids were so sweet except for the occasional bully, but that's part of school. I loved Lakehill and received a wonderful high school experience.

Posted May 14, 2013

I knew I wanted my children to attend this school the first time I stepped through the doors. I remember how it made me smile each morning to see the Headmaster standing at the door and greeting each child by name as I dropped them off for lower school. My eldest child is a member of the "13 Year Club" (having attended from Kindergarten through Graduation); my younger child will join that club in just a few (too) short years. My graduate is living proof of the benefits of a consistent 13 year education and philosophy, earning top grades and multiple scholarships in college and making a seamless transition from "small school" to "huge university". Most of the negative statements I've seen / heard are about middle school. This age is frequently an awkward, difficult time for any kid no matter where they attend school (I know it was for me). The good news is that Lakehill provides a safe, caring environment for those lessons and they emerge from middle school as amazing young adults. At this school my children have learned to excel, participate in team sports, cheer, sing and act loudly and proudly on stage in front of hundreds of people. I could not ask for a better school.

Posted May 10, 2013

My daughter is in Middle School at Lakehill and we are thrilled with the school! She is challenged academically, yet very supported socially. We have excellent communication with the teachers and the parents are very involved. The graduating classes continue to impress with their scholastic achievements and their invitations to top tier colleges. This school shows respect towards their students and visa versa. Lakehill handles their business! If anything does come up - they handle it in a swift, professional manner. Couldn't ask for anything more. The only thing I've ever heard is some kids want to leave and go to a larger high school. I've also seen a lot of these kids come back a year later! Bigger doesn't mean better. We're staying and feel very honored to be able to be a part of the Lakehill experience!

Posted May 9, 2013

My child is a Middle School student at Lakehill, and I honestly can't imagine being at any other school. We chose Lakehill over Highland Park, DISD, and several other top private schools in Dallas, and are convinced on a daily basis that this was the right choice. The academics are strong, but more importantly, my child is treated with respect by peers, teachers, and the administration. Perhaps administrators who greet children at the door and know each child's name are old-fashioned to some, but I for one appreciate their personal investment in each child's success. My child's experience at Lakehill have been amazing, and we will definitely be here through graduation. One only has to look at the success of this year's graduates to know what a solid academic foundation Lakehill students receive. While reviews may be helpful, looking at the simple facts may paint a clearer picture of this school's excellence.

Posted May 9, 2013

I have a son in Upper School and a son in Middle School at Lakehill. They have both been at Lakehill since Kindergarten and will graduate from Lakehill. Our experience has been top notch. Lakehill has an excellent administration that swiftly deals with issues and is proactive with their thinking. I could not imagine my boys at any other school.

Posted May 9, 2013

My kids came home the other day raving about Senior Day--and they are lower school children. Senior Day recognizes each senior, where they were accepted to college and where they will be going to college. The seniors are also asked questions about their favorite memories, their favorite classes, and advice they would give to younger kids. Seniors raffle some of their favorite items to the other kids from books to shirts to art supplies to sports items--the little kids love this tradition and I suspect, even though they may not realize it now, the bigger kids will miss having the little ones around. It is a neat family dynamic to see--there is respect and admiration from both sides.

Posted May 8, 2013

Unfortunately, the few bad reviews on this site seem to originate from the few families who have not been asked back. One of the best reasons to attend this school is that the administrators do not tolerate bullying or inappropriate behavior. We love this school for that reason alone! Not to mention the quality of the education and the dedication of the teachers - you simply won't find a more family-like atmosphere. Our family highly recommends that anyone interested in Lakehill come see for themselves. The 2013 graduates are headed to Harvard, Brown, Columbia, Tufts, Berkeley, UC-Davis, and USC to name a few! The best part about Lakehill is that the kids are not stressed out on their journey to excellence. They enjoy their time at the school, benefiting from the one-on-one teacher attention and a milieu of respect and high expectations. This is the only affordable private school in Dallas that trumps the Highland Park and other private & public schools, including the gifted programs (be careful of IB programs, as colleges do not accept those credits!); where students can be themselves; and where family matters.

Posted May 7, 2013

I am middle school student at Lakehill. I am in touch with teachers at Lakehill because it is small. The teachers give one-on-one attention to any student who needs it. The school is set up to allow students to succeed. I also have great friends. I have not seen any bullying during my entire time at Lakehill. The school is pretty strict. The teachers do not put up with any bad behavior. I recommend Lakehill to students who care about their classes and homework and who like individual attention and praise for hard work. The high school seniors who are graduating are going to Stanford, Harvard, SMU, and many other good schools. A bunch of 7th grade kids took the SATs and tested into the Duke Gifted and Talented program. I think Lakehill is a great place to grow up.

Posted May 6, 2013

My children graduated from Lakehill Prep from K - 12 th grade. They received such a solid education that provided them with strong critical thinking skills and the ability to quickly excell in the colleges they attend. Lakehill provides such a nurturing Lower School, an empowering Middle School experience, and an Upper School that offers advanced course opportunities that other schools simply cannot offer. The courses are planned to based upon the students needs and talents. This is part of the uniqness of an independent school of this size. The college acceptances and scholarships are very impressive, too! My children received unsolicited scholarships and many full rides.

Posted April 2, 2013

I love Lakehill and its small size. The small size comes with a lot of perks. Perks like a lot of attention from teachers, getting to know people from various grade-levels, and being able to participate in all sports.

Posted April 2, 2013

I attended Lakehill from kindergarten through eighth grade and loved it, but then I switched to a bigger school for high school. This new school was not what I expected it to be like. I spent a lot of my time there comparing it to my old school and missing my close friends. I missed the small class sizes, the personal attention, and the sense of family. So, I ended up coming back to Lakehill my junior year. It was a very easy transition and I'm so glad to be back where I belong.

Posted April 2, 2013

Lakehill Preparatory, I can start off by saying that i love the school and its education program. At Lakehill everyone knows everyone so the small size benefits all. One great thing is that the students are able to get as much individual time with teachers as needed which never lets them fall behind. There is always a friendly atmosphere and smiling faces, the food is good and the lunch ladies always brighten my day!! LPS has a great sports department and all students get the chance to play, also a great volunteer program to give to the community. Since its K-12 the upper school always does fun activities with the lower school to set a great example. Lakehill is all around a fun place to be and a very relaxed environment which makes school something to look forward to in the student's eyes!!

Posted March 22, 2013

Both of my children attended Lakehill beginning in Kindergarten. One chose to stay for high school. The other chose to attend the local high school (Woodrow pre-AP courses) to be in a larger environment. Each of my children was in the best environment for them. That being said, the college preparation at Lakehill was significantly better than the pre-AP and AP program at Woodrow. The overall level of caring and involvement of the teachers at Lakehill was greater. The response of administration to parent concerns was stronger at Lakehill. The amount of parent involvement was much higher at Lakehill. The sports at Woodrow were more competitive than at Lakehill. My child who attended Lakehill was able to participate with much success in a variety of activities achieving All-State status in football, basketball, and debate. I would highly recommend this school. However, it is a small school. So if your child is looking for a larger environment, Lakehill might not be the place for him/her.

Posted March 20, 2013

There are a few good things about this school if you like to be sequestered in a tiny environment with little excitement. Most people are here because they don't want to be somewhere else. If the parents will let them, the kids leave. The ones living in the neighborhood have jumped ship to the DISD schools. Shocking, it would appear. However the middle and high school (Long and Woodrow) offer International Baccalaureate and a myriad of extracurricular activities and sports. I think half the sophomore class left for Woodrow. Some Lakehill veterans are freaked to learn that they can't handle the rigor of IB at Woodrow. Also WW has a very strong AP program with twice the course selections of Lakehill.

Asian 4% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab