PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is just right. Not too much in the younger years and increases starting in 4th grade.

The most under-rated school in Dallas. Over the course of the next decade, I predict that this school will be on par, if not ahead of, the top private schools in Dallas. Many think it already is. The innovative approach to learning that is happening at Alcuin is unmatched.

I am blown away by this school at every turn. We as parents, and my children are not treated like just another number. Being part of a community that is really interested in development is a wonderful thing.

I am amazing unimpressed. The teachers overly prescribe testing for your average child. I spoke to my son's pediatrician who saw nothing wrong with my son and mentioned that he has had other parents that had the same issues. I have spoken to a number of parents that have had the same experience. It looks amazing when touring but as another reviewer mentioned, if you are a 30 something parent expect ZERO respect and it is even worse when both parents work. I wish I could take back the past year. Basically if your child isn't with the perfect child and your aren't willing to jump through hoops of testing, you will politely be asked to not return. -disappointed parent

I am a convert who started out very skeptical about the value this school could bring to my kids, especially in light of the expense. I have two kids at Alcuin, and they both started at 18 months old. I was not converted by the school. I was converted by my children. I see every day the effect the school has on them. They love learning and challenging themselves. That is something that I did not get until I went to college. Imagine the possibilities of getting to feel that way your whole life. Equally important is the community. I am constantly blown away by their peers, who are like minded and have a home life that values education and development as much as we do. Yes, it is a lot of money, and I didn t think I could justify the expense. Now I know, that it is the very best money I spend even in this economy. I m converted and because of that, my kids get to grow and develop whatever potential is inside them, and become the very best versions of themselves. What more could you want?

Alcuin is a truly unique school that centers around the ability to bring about the absolute best in every student combined with the flexibility to allow students to progress at a custom pace. Each child gets their own education plan that is stringently followed up on and evolves with the child. Our children have been there since infants and have thrived educationally, socially and emotionally. The teachers are so well trained that they often know more about my children than I do even though I am a stay-at-home parent. My elementary student's curriculum always exceeds the standards at the other top schools in Dallas. In first grade she writes in cursive, reads on a 5th grade level, and multiplies and divides by 10,000. The best part is that they focus on individual responsibility, accountability and courtesy. Their middle and upper school is now IB and the students are already being courted by some of the top programs who seek out the unique educational experieces of a Montessori and Baccalaureate program. To top it off the school has a "home-like" feel and the staff is always available for questions and guidance. We feel very fortunate to have gotten a spot at Alcun.

I am so happy with Alcuin school. My children have thrived educationally as well as socially. The level of education exceeds what I personally have seen as a teacher in high achieving schools. The teachers and staff take a personal interest in my children across the board. I recommend Alcuin to anyone looking for a great school!

The teachers are wonderful, that is, if you can get through the unorganized, under qualified upper management (most importantly, the director). If you are a 40+ aged parent then this is most definitely the school where you want to spend your money and where you will be treated with respect, but apparently if you are young working mother in your 30s, then you might want to stay away as the staff members turn up their noses to you. I would rather pay a million dollars for my child to be somewhere she is loved, cared for, and learning in a comfortable environment. Horrible experiences with the staff and past students & families in many instances. I wouldn't send my child here if it were free.

My child attended only the upper grades - 6th through 8th and graduated from the Middle School. We could not have been happier with the teachers, the school leadership, the Montessori and IB format, and everything about the education this school offers. Too bad they had not started an Upper School yet because this education far surpasses anything we have experienced in a traditional Independent high school. Dallas is so lucky to have Alcuin as a choice in high schools starting next year; it will be one of the only private IB schools in town and I have no doubt it will be the model for IB schools everywhere.

Both my son and daughter attend Alcuin school. My son is in last yr of Primary and my daughter in her first yr of primary. I must say the school has far exceeded our expectations and it shows in our kids. They seem very well behaved and able to have a conversation with an adult about a variety of topics at age 3 and 5. Most importantly my kids love the school and we love the homely feel there. It seems that its been a while since someone wrote a review as the last one is from 2010. With all the good changes since 2010 and with our new principal Walter Sorenson's leadership, I can say the school has com a long way already.

Last modified Alcuin School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12