PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

I DO NOT AGREE.......they are not equipped nor trained nto have the resources to handle anyone with a learning disability

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Leadership starts from the top and i have not seen a leader yet.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Very hard to communicate with the teacher, every time i had an issue with the teacher, i had to CC the principle in order to get a response.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

I feel they just assign homework and DONT TEACH the lesson

I must say that we were mislead from the jump. If your child has any type of learning disability please do not waste your time with this school thinking you're child is going to get the attention they need. They are not equipped nor trained to handle anyone that has a learning disability. My child has dyslexia, nothing bad but if not handled correctly in the classroom it can be a nightmare for the teacher and student. Before i enrolled into this school i had a meeting and in that meeting i went into full detail of what my son required. Everything went well in the meeting and it was said that they could accommodate his needs. Well I guess they needed the tuition and decided to take my money because that has not been the case, i don't feel my son has learned or excelled in any subject. They don't have tutoring to help your child if they need help in any subject (you have to qualify for a "PROGRAM" according to testing scores to be able to get tutoring), they have KIDS grading KIDS homework which i disagree with, the teacher should be grading homework, not children, they are learning just like any other kid, way to much homework, makes me wonder what they are doing in class. After my sons accommodations were approved, i notice my son was not getting extra time needed on tests so i set up a meeting with the teacher and the principle. Basically, they could not give him extra time on tests because there was no "time" outside of the allotted time to take a test, at best they could take his recess away and he could test during recess. That to me is punishment not accommodating to my child. He was approved to write with erasable pens, but his homework was being erased and he was getting bad grades on homework due to his work being erased and marked wrong. Well the PRINCIPLE said well, after he writes his homework he will need to go over it with a permanent marker to keep that form happening? EXCUSE me wrong answer for me. There was another issue with my son not staying focused while testing, I asked the teacher what she do to redirect him, she replied NOTHING. Mind you this was a TIMED TEST, EXCUSE me you did nothing. WRONG ANSWER, they want your money, they don't care about the well being of your child, they side with the teachers rather wrong or right. DO NOT ENROLL BEWARE

This 'school' does not provide the proper resources to prepare its secondary students for college enrollment or just transferring to another high school. The teachers are under qualified and get turned over so much, I've had like 3 English and Spanish teachers in one year. Many tenured teachers basically wing the lectures in their classes, assign busywork and test on lessons that weren't ever taught in class. I've had many teachers who assign us questions in the same lesson so they have time to grade our homework. And if it weren't enough, the staff's attempts at disciplining the disruptive children are null in that they just hand out $5-15 fines every day to the same students instead of conducting their behavior properly. The 'religious education' is terrible as well, many of the books are Texas Christian School Committee propaganda that attempts to add bible related footnotes at the end of every chapter in History/English/Science. And the high textbook prices are scams as well, that's probably the one thing this school has relating to a college education. The chapels are 45 minute sermons held every Wednesday morning, what the school does is hire Christ for the Nation people or salesmen who spread moral dogma and promote their businesses. The speakers are usual guilt lecturers that tell personal anecdotes yet never reference any passages in the bible, students aren't even required to bring their bibles into chapel! As for other things with this school; there aren't any extracurriculars except for sports, there's no High School Counselor, the security guard is a rent-a-cop with a flashlight who provides less security than any DISD schools, there's no cafeteria, the art and music departments are severely underfunded and frequently cancelled due to teachers leaving, a lot of the equipment is extremely old, especially in the science and computer departments, and the class desks tend to break easily. This school is terrible, I feel like this institution is still running because the top people are lining their pockets with tuition and are running a Betsy DeVos 'Public Charter' scheme with government money. I always see underperforming students get expelled after tax season starts, that's terrible procedure and anyone involved should be shamed. Your kids will be better off going to any DISD school and reading their bibles at homes, don't bother coming here.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I can honestly say that this school actually does what it's mission says it does.

TSCA has a wonderful education program! With an after school engineering program, learning tablets and laptops in the classroom, and Spanish classes for preschool children to high school kids, I have not found another school that meets my expectations. The faculty and staff at this school truly care for the students. The small classes and Biblical teaching bring me comfort as a parent.

Not perfect, but then neither am I. People are ernestly working for your child. You have to have a giving heart at TSCA, you just won't be able to resist. God is there right along with traditional and excellent education. A good school, a privilege for any child to attend.

My children have gone to TSCA for years. We enjoy the community atmosphere and the care the faculty and staff put into our children. Another important aspect is knowing my kids are getting a firm foundation in Bible and character education. In addition to daily devotions and Bible classes, they attend weekly chapels where speakers from various local churches deliver messages of truth, hope, and love. I read one negative review that mentioned fines for dress code violations. While that might be frustrating, I must say that my kids, like all the students, are expected to follow dress code and rules in the Student Handbook and can receive fines if they do not. However, at the beginning of the school year, all parents and students are informed of these expectations/consequences and we even sign that we have read these rules. TSCA is not perfect, but I do feel that if I bring any concerns I might have to the administration, they will listen.

Last modified Tyler Street Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12