PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

At first they do not seem as warm as teachers I have had experience with at other schools via our other child. Within a few weeks however I will meet teachers at carpool whom I have never met but know my child by name. They might be a speech, drama or handwriting teacher, yet they know everything about her. This has been very surprising, I do expect teachers to know my child but the teachers at Shelton seem to know them on a more profound level. Perhaps it is their extensive behavioral training which conditions them to be so attentive. They are extremely responsive to our needs or questions and most of all, our daughter loves them all.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework in the LS supports what is taught in class. They give the children homework which is a half-peg below the level they work on in class. This promotes a positive experience at home, our child takes out her homework and is able to do it and return it. This doesn't mean it's a breeze, she has ADHD and keeping her on-task takes effort on both of our parts, but the content of the homework is not stumbled upon. This allows us to focus on organizational skills and task-completion, a meta-level skill which is more important than the minutia of the work itself.

My child has been at this school for 2 years now - this review is for the lower school. She has ADHD and struggles with task completion, language skills and impulse control. Shelton has been instrumental in helping her learn to read and do well in math, the classes are small and the teachers are very caring. The kids in class are kind to one another but due to their varying difference, they sometimes do or say things which might be hurtful. I have seen this happen on a couple of occasions (one pushed the other and during another incident, a child said something inappropriate) and the teachers/administration addressed it immediately and impeccably. I personally reached out to the administration for help in evaluating my child again and it was done within the week. They are incredibly sensitive and responsive to our kids' needs, and not because we are connected or popular in any way - as has been stated in another review. Given the nature of the various differences at this school they are doing a stellar job, our child feels included, strong, able and cared for.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are always willing to help in every way they can. As long as you go and show them that you want to succeed they will do everything in their means to help you.

Amount of homework: Agree

It is not an over whelming amount, but it is just enough to make sure you understand the material given in class.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Students are very rude. They are not welcoming. They do a lot of drugs and the drug testing doesn't make them stop.

Most of the teacher are amazing and are willing to help in any way they can. Administration is what makes the school so terrible. They don't take care of problems or harassment issues. The curriculum for high school is very misleading too.

In response to one of the earlier comments ... I would never, ever consider sending my child to a school that made a comment that my child needed to go to school with "normal" kids before accepting him .... that is crazy. My kid transitioned to Highland Park High School from Shelton, It might not be private but it is considered one of the top public schools in Texas and in the country. My very normal child is excelling academically and socially ... making some of the most competitive teams at the school and performing with 3.5 GPA. I would love to know what private school that is because I would happily march my very normal, beautiful and accomplished daughter in and prove them wrong about their ludicrous comment.

My friends son goes to this school. He is entering 9th grade next year so she wanted to transfer him into a regular private school. He was denied and told that he needs to show that he can learn among "normal" kids for at least 2 years in a regular school curriculum before he would be accepted. Heads up!

My daughter has attended Shelton for the past 4 years and I can not say enough about how wonderful this school is. My daughter has not only excelled academically but socially as well. Incredible teachers and an excellent learning environment.

Last modified Shelton School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12