Dallas, TX

Posted May 09, 2014
In response to one of the earlier comments ... I would never, ever consider sending my child to a school that made a comment that my child needed to go to school with "normal" kids before accepting him .... that is crazy. My kid transitioned to Highland Park High School from Shelton, It might not be private but it is considered one of the top public schools in Texas and in the country. My very normal child is excelling academically and socially ... making some of the most competitive teams at the school and performing with 3.5 GPA. I would love to know what private school that is because I would happily march my very normal, beautiful and accomplished daughter in and prove them wrong about their ludicrous comment.

Shelton School 3

Posted April 19, 2014
My friends son goes to this school. He is entering 9th grade next year so she wanted to transfer him into a regular private school. He was denied and told that he needs to show that he can learn among "normal" kids for at least 2 years in a regular school curriculum before he would be accepted. Heads up!

Posted February 23, 2014
My daughter has attended Shelton for the past 4 years and I can not say enough about how wonderful this school is. My daughter has not only excelled academically but socially as well. Incredible teachers and an excellent learning environment.

Shelton School 1

Posted February 23, 2014
[shelton] shelton is not the best school like people say i go here and let me say i do not enjoy it. Its not the environment you would want your child in. I would suggest you look for other learning different schools.

Posted December 17, 2013
I was a shelton student from 5th grade to 7th grade. Of course there are some mean kids but there are everywhere. I made some of my best friends at shelton, and i still cherish my memories. I switched in 8th grade for more of a challenge but to this day, i still regret it. What i love most about shelton is the way they teach, the community that shelton has, and the shorter classes(50 min) Shelton changed my life. --Student

Posted October 27, 2009
Lifechanging That pretty much sums up our experience at Shelton. My kids are both dyslexic and ADD and before Shelton were on the path to nowhere at best in two different school systems who didn't understand them or how to teach them. Shelton has not only brought their academic status up to grade level but it has taught them about their LD and how to work with it going forward in life in a way that will make them successful. As in every school there are issues with a few teachers and even a few parents but that's just a part of life - anywhere. The school was originally for dyslexia students so that has been and still is their main focus but in recent years there has been a concerted and sucessful effort to raise the academic standards overall. Thieir standards today are higher than many other private prep schools.

Shelton School 0

Posted February 28, 2009
Can't say enough great things about this school! This is our first year and we love it! Our son who has dyslexia, dsygraphia, and ADHD is blossoming at Shelton. They just know how to teach this type of child and he's thriving. His test scores indicate he is right on target with other kids his age. He loves school so much that he can't wait to go in the morning and WANTS to go to summer school. He'd rather be at school than just about any other place. We love Shelton!

Posted July 05, 2007
I feel that Shelton is one of the best schools around. I've been working Scholars with Joan Dodd, and she is a great teacher to work for. My only complaint is i'm only parttime on Saturdays, but would love to work for Shelton fulltime. No other school can compare with them.

Posted July 03, 2006
- a former student
I graduated from Shelton High School years ago, and I can say for sure that my experience at Shelton was remarkable. The teachers at Shelton go out of their way for kids, more than most teachers at any other school. I think our Theater department is the best in the city. Our athletic department is gradually making improvements every year from what I hear but their main focus is academics, not athletics. You really can't find a better prep school anywhere in the state of Texas for learning different students than Shelton. I hear they are also adding AP courses and they are expanding their music department as well. Every year they are getting better, soon it will the talked about as one of the best private schools in Dallas, I believe.

Shelton School 3

Posted May 09, 2006
I did not find that the school was as nurturing as 'advertised'. There are many very warm people there, but the school feels exclusive and elitist. If you do not have the 14K+ tuition and lots more to contribute to the many fund raising events - you are left feeling like you just don't belong.

Shelton School