No rating

St Philips School & Community Center

Private | PK-6 | 148 students

Living in Dallas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $59,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Posted April 29, 2013

This is an awesome school for providing a nurturing environment for a primarily African-American student population. My child has attended the school for several years and although I have had an overall positive experience, there is a true disconnect when it comes to academics. Often times, it seems as though there is more of an emphasis on the "show" (Christmas and Heritage programs, fundraisers, etc) than on true academics. Most of the teachers do not have teaching experience outside of St. Philips so they don't bring much to the table. Also, the teachers change positions very often so this might be why they can not perfect their craft. There is no curriculum being followed and the principle seems clueless about what truly goes on in the classroom. Most of the people I know who's children are successful at private schools after leaving St. P have had to pay for tutors to catch up on writing and mathematics. I believe the lower school (up to 1st or 2nd grade) does a pretty good job in helping children feel proud of who they are and nurtured but after that, when you expect a really good foundation, the teachers are very inconsistent in quality and experience.

Posted May 7, 2010

St. Philip's is a great school, not a perfect school. I don't think perfect schools exists, nor do perfect teachers, principals, students, and parents exist. St. Philip's is a place where kids feel they belong. It's a safe environment where the school strives to expose children to the people and opportunities that will further their success. The school's greatest strength is its' nurturing environment that includes other parents that are mainstays in the halls and classrooms. The biggest weakness is the crowded schedule that can be overwhelming. Some of the programming is great but some can be sacrificed for more time in the classroom. My son is in his 7th year and he will be graduating next year. I would not have traded the St. Philip's experience for anything. It has been priceless!

Posted April 23, 2010

This is our first year at St.Philip's and we are pleased with the school. My daughter learns a great deal and I love the exposure she gets to so many differnt topics. There is always something exciting going on or get ready for, and we look forward to each activity. My child is in after school care and participates in dance, drumming, and story time. She loves when the puppeteer comes with the stories and puppets. As any school there is always room for improvement and when it comes to money...whatever I can give that is going to benefit my child's education I will gladly give...(on my middle income status) Teaching does start at home, I don't expect the teacher to make my daughter a genius I have already done that. I expect and have witness my child being engaged and challenged by the teachers and the school.

Posted March 18, 2010

It is so unfortunate that some parent expect teacher to work miracles in the classroom while the parent do nothing to reinforce the learning at home.Fortunately my grandsons continue their learning after school, weekends, holidays and during the summer. That is so necessary. I know parents pay their money but still, the school can only provide, just so much.I love what you are doing Saint Phillips. Thanks.

Posted March 18, 2010

My grandsons attend St. Phillips. One has attend 4 years.. As a retired public school teacher, I am very pleased with this school. I observe all aspect and would rate it a 5. My grandsons are so advanced , motivated and well behaved. The teachers work very close with the parents.

Posted August 7, 2008

Sending my child to St. Philips was one of the best decisions that I could have made for my daughter. My daughter is socially adjusted and culturally aware of who she is. Everyday, I drop my daughter off at school I feel as though she is in a safe environment and that people care and love her. As far as donating money to the school, I have never been forced or felt pressure to donate to any of the fundraisers. The first my daughter attended I did donate, this last school year I was not financially able to donate and the staff has always worked with me if I had a problem with any fees. Nothing is perfect, but for me is saddens me that people speak negative of something because it did not work for them. Especially when African-Americans do it to each other.

Posted January 23, 2008

I have to agree with one of the former reviewers. I personally like my child's attitude about school and his progress but he has always done well in school. I do feel that the school constantly asked(demands) more money after tuition is paid. It's a strugggle for working parents because you don't get scholorship but you have to but those expensive uniforms, pay annual fund, the heritage program and buying bricks. It becomes overwelming for families taht lie in the middle w/income.

Posted January 23, 2008

I am so disenchanted and disappointed with the school. I wanted my child to have a good foundation, fully knowing and loving her heritage. I have removed myself from participation in so many school functions because poor communication, disrespect, continuous asking of money, lack of proper notification for functions that will require additional time and money . Unorganized!

Posted January 22, 2008

My child attended St. Philip''s and has the knowledge, self confidence, and ability to have gone on to one of Dallas' most prestigeous college prep institutions and is now on the honor role. He was very well prepared beyond our expecations. I support and will continue to support St. Philip's because it is in my view the greatest example of what high expectations for children combined with excellent teaching and involvement from parents can do for a child. I would recommend the school to anyone interested in both workinng towards and providing their child with the best. Better yet - visit the school and see for yourself.

Posted December 17, 2007

St. Philip's is a school where African American children attend. The emphasis on culture is misleading except during Black History Month and a 5th grade social studies class. The afterschool program is a babysitting service with very few if any real classes. The school is strong for children in the early grades but after Kindergarten or 1st grade expect problems. The focus is more on discipline than developing social skills and cultivating leaders. The school is always asking for money in addition to your tuition so be prepared to get hit up consistently and to be reminded that you are not paying the full cost of tuition. Parents are only appreciated when they are giving $$. Favoritism of children who have notable parents or are children of the staff is very evident.

Posted June 6, 2007

If you are African-American and looking for a school immersed in culture; this is your school. On the other hand, if you are interested in academics; look elsewhere. My child attended this school for kindergarten and I thought he faired well; until 1st grade ! It turned out that my son did not receive the foundation for reading or solving mathematical equations. Not only was he unable to read, but his math abilities decreased significantly. When I met with the teacher, she (non-degreed/certified) assured me that all was well. My son shut down and refused to learn. When did the principal and headmaster 'act' concern? After I decided to take my son and my tuition money some place else. No one was willing to hear my plea until dollars and numbers were involved. I was told I would regret my decision by the headmaster. I have never looked back!

Posted March 27, 2007

Great school! The staff really do care about your child's success. From the Headmaster who is willing to take time out to individually mentor the children to the Principal who is willing to stay with your child after school to get them on track with their homework assignments to the dedicated teachers! The children are exposed to multi-cultural events and are very well rounded socially. When they leave St. Philips they should be fully equipped academically and socially to meet the world. Their creed:'If it is to be, it's up to me' instill in our children that they can make a mark in society and their communities to eradicate the stigma of African Americans always looking for a hand-out.

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAES
  • NIPSA
Fax number
  • (214) 428-5371

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious