Dallas, TX
Before care: Yes

Posted December 09, 2014
Hi I am a Graduate of St.Philip's School & Community and I would say that this is one of the best educations you can give for your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and any other kids you know who want to receive a excellent education. St.Philip's School is and will be like your 2nd family. St.Philip's is very big on giving back. As the name says we are also a community center which means we have a recently opened food pantry, A after school care program until about 5:30pm where kids outside of St.Philip's can come and and get a snack, take part in games and activities and also make new friends. The teacher, faculty, and staff really take out the time to help your child LEARN and UNDERSTAND and APPLY what they are learning in the classroom into the real world. This school is wonderful and I WOULD NOT trade my St.Philip's experience for anything. Hope you decide to bring you child, grandchild, niece or nephew to the great school. ~ A St.Philip's Alumni ~

St Philips School & Community Center 3

Posted April 29, 2013
This is an awesome school for providing a nurturing environment for a primarily African-American student population. My child has attended the school for several years and although I have had an overall positive experience, there is a true disconnect when it comes to academics. Often times, it seems as though there is more of an emphasis on the "show" (Christmas and Heritage programs, fundraisers, etc) than on true academics. Most of the teachers do not have teaching experience outside of St. Philips so they don't bring much to the table. Also, the teachers change positions very often so this might be why they can not perfect their craft. There is no curriculum being followed and the principle seems clueless about what truly goes on in the classroom. Most of the people I know who's children are successful at private schools after leaving St. P have had to pay for tutors to catch up on writing and mathematics. I believe the lower school (up to 1st or 2nd grade) does a pretty good job in helping children feel proud of who they are and nurtured but after that, when you expect a really good foundation, the teachers are very inconsistent in quality and experience.
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 07, 2010
St. Philip's is a great school, not a perfect school. I don't think perfect schools exists, nor do perfect teachers, principals, students, and parents exist. St. Philip's is a place where kids feel they belong. It's a safe environment where the school strives to expose children to the people and opportunities that will further their success. The school's greatest strength is its' nurturing environment that includes other parents that are mainstays in the halls and classrooms. The biggest weakness is the crowded schedule that can be overwhelming. Some of the programming is great but some can be sacrificed for more time in the classroom. My son is in his 7th year and he will be graduating next year. I would not have traded the St. Philip's experience for anything. It has been priceless!

Posted April 23, 2010
This is our first year at St.Philip's and we are pleased with the school. My daughter learns a great deal and I love the exposure she gets to so many differnt topics. There is always something exciting going on or get ready for, and we look forward to each activity. My child is in after school care and participates in dance, drumming, and story time. She loves when the puppeteer comes with the stories and puppets. As any school there is always room for improvement and when it comes to money...whatever I can give that is going to benefit my child's education I will gladly give...(on my middle income status) Teaching does start at home, I don't expect the teacher to make my daughter a genius I have already done that. I expect and have witness my child being engaged and challenged by the teachers and the school.

Posted March 18, 2010
It is so unfortunate that some parent expect teacher to work miracles in the classroom while the parent do nothing to reinforce the learning at home.Fortunately my grandsons continue their learning after school, weekends, holidays and during the summer. That is so necessary. I know parents pay their money but still, the school can only provide, just so much.I love what you are doing Saint Phillips. Thanks.

Posted March 18, 2010
My grandsons attend St. Phillips. One has attend 4 years.. As a retired public school teacher, I am very pleased with this school. I observe all aspect and would rate it a 5. My grandsons are so advanced , motivated and well behaved. The teachers work very close with the parents.

Posted October 04, 2009
my daughter is in pk-4 and i could not have asked for a better school; she is able to write her name and spell exceptionally.. the principal and teachers are always available. they go on field trips and they just had supreme court justice clarence thomas there...this is the best school in Dallas!

Posted November 11, 2008

Posted August 07, 2008
Sending my child to St. Philips was one of the best decisions that I could have made for my daughter. My daughter is socially adjusted and culturally aware of who she is. Everyday, I drop my daughter off at school I feel as though she is in a safe environment and that people care and love her. As far as donating money to the school, I have never been forced or felt pressure to donate to any of the fundraisers. The first my daughter attended I did donate, this last school year I was not financially able to donate and the staff has always worked with me if I had a problem with any fees. Nothing is perfect, but for me is saddens me that people speak negative of something because it did not work for them. Especially when African-Americans do it to each other.

Posted February 05, 2008

St Philips School & Community Center
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Dallas, TX  75215
Last modified St Philips School & Community Center is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
St Philips School & Community Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top