Dallas, TX

Posted January 23, 2015
As the parent below mentioned, "parents had the children" and parents are the child's first and most important teacher in their lives. Teachers are there to help YOU help your child succeed. In order for students to succeed parents must first do their parts at home. It seems that you are trying but instead of blaming 100% on teachers try to find resources outside of school(Google Texas TEKS or go to library) Teachers are not there to hurt children's education, they are simply trying to help parents. They prepare 6 lessons a day plus copies plus intervention and tutoring lessons and meetings. Have you volunteered to help her/him?... They will see your child for a year but after that your child is still your responsibility and yours alone. Hope this helps. :)

Mcwhorter Elementary School 2

Posted January 14, 2015
We recently relocated to Texas after finishing active duty service overseas. I had read other reviews of McWhorter and at first, felt very confident in sending my son here. However, after attending since this academic year started (2014-2015), I am severely disappointed. As another reviewer said, there is ZERO information being sent home concerning days off, policy changes, staff changes, etc. Parents do need to be in the know despite what others thing. The only information that I hear on a consistent basis is concerning parking and drop-offs for the morning. Homework is inconsistent and when asked about that fact, I was told that "it changes from week to week and depends on what we get through". I have asked for extra work because my son is weak in math and never comes home with any homework--I was referred to a website that doesn't even present problems in the same format at state testing. How can I expect him to get better if the work taught at school is not reinforced at home? I understand that this can be a teacher, not a school issue. However, when I hear about the same problems with different grades, classes, etc., then at that time it becomes a SCHOOL issue.

Posted April 20, 2014
I had my child transferred into this school going into kindergarten and I have loved the support that I have gotten from his teacher and the staff. From what I have seen is it there is an issue with a child all teachers will try to get involved to assist. Now with that said... it is up to us parents to be just as involved. I work in child care myself and I know that it is not easy but as a PARENT I am involved. You have yo be involved some kind of way. We had our kids not the school, staff, or the teachers!!!

Posted December 10, 2013
I really like the teachers' involvement level, their compromise with the students are very seriously; however the learning process of every child does not depend only on their teachers, the parents involvement is also important in their learning.

Mcwhorter Elementary School 2

Posted September 12, 2011
no info being sent to parents.... and no info about policys..... i keep geting told that the only ppl that need to know any thing going on or changeing is the students not the parents...

Posted March 10, 2011
I love this school! My son has been here since kindergarten and I have no complaints! The principle is a great dedicated individual as well as the teachers my son has had. I also love the after school program.

Posted July 21, 2009
Wow!! A school that has 80% of their students at the poverty line, all apartments feeding into their zone (causing a 'revolving door' effect for the students), a population the size of a middle school, uninvolved parents, and a reputation in the district for being a 'tough school' still manages to perform at a 'Recognized' rating. I have never met more dedicated teachers. The teachers aren't there because it's easy, they're there becasue they know these kids really need a difference in their lives. Before you complain about this school, consider what exactly this school is having to deal with that other schools do not. I think they're doing a pretty good job!

Mcwhorter Elementary School

Posted April 29, 2009
I'm sorry but I don't agree with the other review. The personal's apparent disregard to the rate of children being bullied in their school is affecting their students education and educational needs.

Posted March 02, 2004
McWhorter is a wonderful school. The teachers work hard to bring out the best in the students. Keep up the good work.

Mcwhorter Elementary School
3678 Timberglen Road, Dallas, TX  75287
Last modified Mcwhorter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mcwhorter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top