Posted March 16, 2013
My child attends Travis and I would like to say that although the curriculum is challenging I believe it makes the students better people; that it shapes them into the kind of people we desire them to be and that we parents hope to someday be ourselves. I guess that's just my opinion and everyone has a right to their own.

William B Travis Acdmy/Vngrd For A 3

Posted March 11, 2013
Reading through earlier reviews and based on what I heard before our child came, Travis is not the school it once was. Some of the best teachers have retired, and not all of the new teachers are good. Other changes have occurred, such as the kids not being allowed outdoors for even a short recess on many days b/c it is easier to warehouse the kids in the auditorium and not allow any talking. There is not much enforcement of the exit policy, so bad behavior that begins in 4th grade is tolerated, and it only escalates as the kids move up the grade levels. Talking back to teachers, lots of sex talk in the younger grades, and cruel teasing are all tolerated without many consequences. There are still some wonderful teachers; the principal supports the staff; it is likely better than many non-magnet alternatives, but the school could be much better than it is. Also, certain grade levels have excessive homework that is in direct violation of district policy. But the school still has a lot of warmth because there are some great people on the staff who stay the course in the face of demoralizing district policies.

Posted March 07, 2012
An amazing Dallas ISD school. The teachers and administrative staff enjoy their work, and it shows. My daughter has attended Travis for 2 1/2 years now, and she loves it. My girl is both happier and more socially successful than she was at her last school, as being surrounded by classmates who truly respect academic success is a good thing for a 'serious-student' type child. Travis' curriculum is both challenging and engaging, but the work load is not at all unreasonable for a student with good time management and organization skills. I would not, however, think Travis a good fit for a child (even if exceptionally clever) who needs to be prodded by a parent to get their schoolwork done.

Posted November 29, 2010
We came to Travis TAG from a prestigious private school in North Dallas. My son entered in 5th grade. We discovered that he had a lot of catching up to do in math and science. I've heard it said before, and I now see it first hand, most private schools don't teach math and science well. Now that we left the private school world, I see that we were basically paying quite a high price tag for a good education, but not a great one. The teachers at Travis TAG are very demanding and excellent at teaching their subjects. They answer emails on weekends and evenings. Our math teacher even offers free tutoring to help children keep up with her advanced program. All the teachers my son has had have exhibited great insight into his personality. And unlike our previous private school Principal, the Travis Principal actually knows my son's name and says hello to him in the hallway. You won't find a football program at Traivs TAG. But considering the fact that U.S. students rank 34th in the world on math proficiency, I'd say Travis is your best bet for raising a child who is prepared to take on the challenges of the 21st century.

William B Travis Acdmy/Vngrd For A 4

Posted August 26, 2010
My daughter has recently started the new school year at Travis for her first year - 4th - and loves the school. She feels very connected with the other children, her self esteem is higher than ever and the teachers and administrators have her very excited about projects for the coming year. Dropping her off and pick ups are not nearly as bad as I thought they might be in Uptown.

William B Travis Acdmy/Vngrd For A 1

Posted March 08, 2010

Posted November 04, 2009

Posted October 13, 2009
WB Travis has great teachers who really nurture a love of learning in their students. Their own enthusiasm and goals to set a high level of interest and academic acheivement is what makes Travis so good. A very active parent PTA helps to back up the school's high spirit for excellence.

Posted October 12, 2009
When my son attended Travis, he enjoyed great teachers, and the work was challenging and interesting. He never complained of being bored.

Posted October 11, 2009
The administration, teachers and entire staff from the moment you enter the building have created a positive, caring atmosphere that holds high standards yet encourages the kids to grow in every way!

William B Travis Acdmy/Vngrd For A
3001 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX  75204
Last modified William B Travis Acdmy/Vngrd For A is a Public school that serves grades 4-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
William B Travis Acdmy/Vngrd For A Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.