Posted June 20, 2013
I had been at Travis since the 4th grade, and now i am a graduate from that school, attending Townview next year. It was such an amazing experience. Not only are you in the best school in the nation, but there you meet your best friends that you will never forget. Not only do you make friends, you create a family. You bond with one another so much, that when it is time to go, you cry and sob so much, especially at the 8th grade dance, trust me. The teachers are just so amazing. The classes are more challenging than the average school, but the teachers teach in such an understanding way. Yes, there is lots of homework, but you manage to do it and you get used to it. If you do attend Travis, make sure you enjoy every moment of it, cause you will miss it. Hope you attend!!

Posted May 16, 2013
Travis is a school for the academically gifted serving 4th - 8th grades. All students must be in the top 90% of their home school or testing just to apply which consists of a blind written essay. Parents show up at 5am to get their applications in on the first day usually sometime in January. Applying for 4th or 6th is the ideal w 4th all new and 6th adding 22 additional students. The fact that students are focused and parents are engaged makes this a wonderful learning environment. The school is in the heart of trendy Uptown district which makes taking the trolley to the many downtown museums a snap. This school teaches Project Based Education. Each grade takes a different topic and that culminates with each student presenting their research, usually in costume/character. Unlike other DISD schools the staff absolutely shows a love of teaching and generally treat the children and parents with respect. Being a part of DISD it sometimes suffers from tenure indifference. Often issues with teachers or staff are too difficult to correct given the system. PTA & School newsletter is very good. Most teachers could do better at using district program to post assignments and grades however

Posted May 11, 2013
I've attended Travis for 4 years now and have a love/hate relationship with it. Some of the teachers are outstanding, while others are awful. I have one thing to say about the teacher's aid: pointless. They are way too strict and treat the children with no respect. My 8th grade friends tell me about the enormous homework load that they have consisting of 4-5 hours a night. That leaves no time to be a child and enjoy youth. Really, Travis? 4-5 hours?

Posted March 26, 2013
My child has attended school here wrapping up on the fifth year and heading for high school. The school for the most part was good. However the 8th grade teachers with the exception of 3 have control issues. The office staff has one in particular that seems to have an issue , not very friendly nor accommodating.

Posted March 11, 2013
6th grade is a wonderful year, with fun teachers and engaging work that is manageable. 7th grade is also a great year, with teachers who care and some wonderful programs. Some of the school's excellent teachers have recently retired, but there are still many talented teachers. The 8th grade teaching team is also excellent, but the homework load stunts the kids' development in other areas. The school offers some neat extracurricular programs, but many kids cannot even dream of participating b/c the homework load is so intense. Some of the teachers simply do not care about the kids being able to have any free time to just be kids; instead, the homework, esp that of one of the teachers, is all about the teacher's ego/need to feel like an academically rigorous teacher, not about the kids' actually learning. The kids in 8th grade start to shut down b/c they are overwhelmed.

William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A 2

Posted June 07, 2012
My sister and I both attended Travis all 5 years. I am now in my last year of high school and she is in college. The best word to describe our experience at Travis is disappointment. I made the best friends that I ever will there, but that was the only good thing. The teachers are the worst that I have ever had in all my years in school. Not only do they rarely teach but they treat the students terribly. I remember several occasions of the teachers telling us "shut up" and "duh." Maybe this unbelievable behavior is caused by their role model, the principal. She is rarely seen doing anything of use, and when she does it is simply for punishment or morning announcements. The dress code policy is ridiculously strict. My friend got suspended for 3 days for wearing a jacket that had a logo bigger than 3 inches. (it was the middle of winter) Both of my parents are in education and they were appaulled by the terrible faculty of this school. When entering high school I was unprepared for the real life. I was amazed that teachers could actually treat you with respect, and my classes are actually more challenging in a regular public school. I do not recommend attenung this school.

William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A 4

Posted August 10, 2011
I'm not a parent, but an anonymous, soon to be alumni. I go to Travis Academy and i am entering the 8th grade. My overall rating for the school is 4 out of a possible 5 simply because of some faculty issues, as always with students, although I will be unbiased for this review. Other problems include some false accusations from faculty, although they are only trying to make the school a better, more safe environment for both themselves and the students that they watch over and teach. If you are a student in grades 3-7, I would recommend applying to this wonderful, magnificent school. As a matter of fact, when I was in the fifth grade here, my whole class (as in grade) made 100% commended on the math TAKS test, which isn't very hard to do, due to our hard-working, diligent math teacher, who shall remain anonymous due to the regulations on this website.

Posted July 17, 2011
Travis is the best elementary and middle school in Dallas ISD (and, indeed, always ranked in the top 3 in the entire State of Texas). The principal is outstanding; the teachers are dedicated and caring; the kids are fabulous. You don't have to be a nerd to succeed here. This TAG school is challenging but we found that the kids rise to the high bar that is set. You will not find a better school in Dallas ISD.

Posted December 16, 2009
Great school! Great leadership and teachers! Some of the reviews sound like they are about another place. We have had nothing but a wonderful experience. The teachers and principals are all about education and not about stoking egos. Maybe that is why some of the negative comments. Evidently, their strategies work! The school has always been EXEMPLARY. Way to go Travis!

Posted November 26, 2009
I've been going to Travis since fourth grade and this year is my seventh grade year. Personally, I regret not going to a big middle school where I could face real-world challenges. Travis tries to shelter you from the real world which will eventually hurt us. But the academics are great, sometimes its an overdose, though. I've made the best friends, and I will always stay in touch with them.

William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A
3001 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX  75204
Last modified William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top