Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted January 27, 2016
If you are dishonest, you will be punished, however, every student I have talked to has admitted to lying to teachers simply because we cannot keep up with the amount of work. Fairness and integrity are simply dismissed.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted January 23, 2016
The teachers at this school strive to create a community with their students and help as much as humanly possible to help us understand anything that isn't as clear as crystal. They can always tell if something's wrong, and when they see that you're not okay, they ask what's wrong because they genuinely care. They teach the material so amazingly and push students to ask questions to make sure everyone understands. Most teachers even provide tutoring to help students if they need any extra clarification. Bottom line is the teachers that work here are amazing.

Posted January 23, 2016
This school is filled with great students and teachers. With such a small amount of students, you get to know everyone and everyone treats each other like family. The academics at this school are very challenging, which expands the mind and helps people gain more knowledge. This school has taught me so much and I truly believe it to be the best in the nation.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted December 06, 2015
I've just learned to hate myself. The four teachers that have made a difference in my life are teachers that know I am a transgender boy or are teachers I've just gotten along with very well and that has nothing to do with education.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 06, 2015
Technically, each class is only allowed to give us 20 minutes a night. They do that most of the time but when it comes to projects, I have no time for anything else. I can't even watch TV anymore

Posted June 11, 2015
I have just graduated this year from high school and I am an alumni from Travis. I can honestly say that it was an honor and privilege to have been able to attend such a high-ranking and challenging school with some of the most inspirational teachers and staff. To this day, I thank my teachers for constantly pushing me to try my hardest and always motivating me to keep going, even when I failed. Not only did I attain some of my most valuable knowledge there, but I also developed bonds which I still have today. I met three girls in particular, and it is definitely no coincidence that all four of us were accepted to a high-ranking magnet high school, graduated in the top 10% of our class, and were accepted to some of the most prestigious universities in the nation, including UT Austin, A&M College Station, NYU, and many more. We all know in our hearts that it was Travis that prepared us for these successes in our lives and as I write to you at my first job in a well-known commercial real estate company at the age of 18, I can definitely vouch that it may be difficult, but it is definitely worth it.

Posted December 08, 2014
I am a former student. I just graduated from Travis last year, and I couldn't have made a better choice than switching for 4th Grade. Some of the teachers are strict, some are controlling, but the education is second to none, and is beyond worth it. Students of all types come to Travis; a lot go on to TAG Magnet (the #1 high school in the US), and some go on to Booker T. Washington (a highly recognized arts magnet). In any case, the small size creates a strong bond between the students, and it becomes difficult to let go at the end of the 8th grade. 86 out of 88 students cry at the school's 8th Grade dance, which is the last time they see each other as middle school students. I couldn't reccomend a school more. Just remember, it won't be easy, but it's doable. It'll be worth it.

Posted June 20, 2013
I had been at Travis since the 4th grade, and now i am a graduate from that school, attending Townview next year. It was such an amazing experience. Not only are you in the best school in the nation, but there you meet your best friends that you will never forget. Not only do you make friends, you create a family. You bond with one another so much, that when it is time to go, you cry and sob so much, especially at the 8th grade dance, trust me. The teachers are just so amazing. The classes are more challenging than the average school, but the teachers teach in such an understanding way. Yes, there is lots of homework, but you manage to do it and you get used to it. If you do attend Travis, make sure you enjoy every moment of it, cause you will miss it. Hope you attend!!

Posted May 16, 2013
Travis is a school for the academically gifted serving 4th - 8th grades. All students must be in the top 90% of their home school or testing just to apply which consists of a blind written essay. Parents show up at 5am to get their applications in on the first day usually sometime in January. Applying for 4th or 6th is the ideal w 4th all new and 6th adding 22 additional students. The fact that students are focused and parents are engaged makes this a wonderful learning environment. The school is in the heart of trendy Uptown district which makes taking the trolley to the many downtown museums a snap. This school teaches Project Based Education. Each grade takes a different topic and that culminates with each student presenting their research, usually in costume/character. Unlike other DISD schools the staff absolutely shows a love of teaching and generally treat the children and parents with respect. Being a part of DISD it sometimes suffers from tenure indifference. Often issues with teachers or staff are too difficult to correct given the system. PTA & School newsletter is very good. Most teachers could do better at using district program to post assignments and grades however

William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A 3

Posted May 11, 2013
I've attended Travis for 4 years now and have a love/hate relationship with it. Some of the teachers are outstanding, while others are awful. I have one thing to say about the teacher's aid: pointless. They are way too strict and treat the children with no respect. My 8th grade friends tell me about the enormous homework load that they have consisting of 4-5 hours a night. That leaves no time to be a child and enjoy youth. Really, Travis? 4-5 hours?

3001 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX  75204
Last modified William B Travis Acad/Vangrd For A is a Public school that serves grades 4-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.