Ginnings Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 608 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 5, 2014

We moved because of the principal and her inabilities to deal with issues. 4th grade teachers were bullying and antagonizing students. My child had so much undo stress that he literally cried tears of joy and relief when we signed him out to go to another school. It cost us another $80,000 to move but that is how bad that school is. My second child was not attending there. I loved our house of 15 years but had to leave it.

Posted January 23, 2014

The only problem I have with this school is that they draaaag out services to get your child in 504. Been dealing with this since the end of my child's first grade and now we are in Jan in her second grade and still dealing with this. Been told there is additional testing to be done. Hopefully we dont wait another 3 months. By then it'll be the summer vacation.

Posted December 21, 2012

Office staff and principle are so disrespectful. A bunch of fat and or ugly women who obviously let their insecurities shape the way they handle their work.

Posted December 21, 2012

Mrs. Johnson was my daughters first grade teacher, she was a great caring teacher. My daughter's writing and reading really blossomed this semester. We are sad to be moving to a new school, resulting in a new teacher but hopeful that we never have to see the office staff ever again. Those ladies, including the principle reeked of disrespect. I hated going to the office because I can only take disrespect for so long. Mrs. Johnson will be heavily missed. 5 stars for Mrs. Johnson. Negative five stars for the principle and front office staff! Ugly women with attitudes to match!

Posted July 26, 2012

During my earlier years at Ginnings, I loved it. Both the principle and vice principle were amazing, fun and helpful. In 2008, we received new principles and teachers. That's when things started going a bit downhill for me. In my prior years, Ginnings was rated exemplary. Now I believe it is acceptable. As far as the fine arts go, Ginnings is a winner. They get you started early on Orchestra, Band, and Art club. All of the fine arts and Expo teachers have been amazing and willing to go the extra mile. In Denton ISD, (which, as you know is NOT an amazing district), I would consider Ginnings a great school. I am currently in Strickland and I can say that Ginnings has imported the most University Interscholatic League members on the U.I.L teams and it has many students in the highest level orchestra and band. If you have plans on putting your child out on the Ivy League road though, I wouldn't exactly recommend Ginnings. But if they have specific talents like drawing, singing, and such, do please look into it.

Posted February 13, 2011

I used to go to Ginnings back in 2007. It was a great school and wonderful to me and my sister. I'm not quite sure how it is now, but I sure loved it back then

Posted December 16, 2010

Another parent and I are removing our children from this school, because we feel like they don't hold a healthy learning standard. Our two children are in first grade and they say that they are bored and don't have time to finish their work at school. My husband and I feel like our child is going backwards in this school, which isn't good at all. Our child is a very smart child and we have tried talking to the teacher even the principal with the assistant principal on how to help our children learn better and they ignore everything we have ever suggested. The school is a chaotic mess during the time they are let out of school. I feel like the only kind of work they do is busy work. I have offered to come help in the class considering I am a stay at home mother with only the one in school, but the teacher was rude by telling me that "you can not volunteer in your child's classroom for the fear of going to other parents about the other children in the classroom".. over all I do not like this school and can't wait to get my child out of this mess of a school...

Posted August 30, 2010

Not too happy so far with this school. At the end of the first week of school, my husband and I went to pick our son up early. It took us 15 minutes to finally get our son. The secretary was on the phone when we first got there, then after getting off the phone, couldn't find which class room our son was in. After locating a teacher he might be in, the teacher didn't answer the phone, or the intercom, and the secretary made the comment that "she never answers the phone or intercom", and had to send a runner. The other thing I didn't like was the school obviously doesn't care who checks the kids out, as long as the person knows a child's name, and grade, and possibly teacher name too. There was no security for the children's sake.

Posted March 21, 2009

I am not sure what the other parent ment about not seeing the principal. We see her almost daily. Last year our Son was at Wilson and comparing the 2 I am glad we are at Ginnings. They have been quick to address any concern I have had. I am very pleased with comminication about behavior class works and events.

Posted October 27, 2008

My child started in Kindergarden and things got better with a new principal. She implemented many things and was very visible to parents and students. Now we have a new change and this principal is not even seen on meet the parent night or any other events much less any regular day.

Posted December 29, 2005

I think that Ginnings Elementary is a wonderful school, this is our first year here and everyone is so helpful and kind. They are a very aware of their students and their academic success. The level of involement with the parents and teachers is well above what I have seen in other schools.

Posted August 30, 2005

Ginnings has been a great school for the two years that we have attended. My children have thrived academically as well as other areas and we haven't had any problems. In 2005, the leadership and staff have changed. It seems so far that the changes are positive with more discipline, security and safety issues being addressed, but change is never easy! I expect continued success and achievement in the school. We have a strong PTA board and a good core of parents who volunteer in the school. Participation at evening meetings and events and in some programs, however, isn't great.

Posted June 27, 2005

We moved to Denton half way thru my daughters first grade year. She had been doing very poorly at the schools back in NJ, yet in half a year was reading with out assistance and her math skills had increased dramatically. They did give massive amounts of paper work that concerned me, but the method did seem effective. On the down side, homework was often sent home with no instructions, which I thought was alot to expect a 6 year old to remember and relay correctly. On the social side, she made many more friends at Ginnings then she ever did in NJ. It was a good school for my first grader.

Posted February 20, 2005

My son is in the 1st grade and we have been very very very impressed with Ginnings and the Denton ISD as a whole. The assessments, leadership, and general care of his K and 1st grade teachers have been fantastic.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

81 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

92 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

95 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

90 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

76 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

77 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students89%

Proficient in English94%
Non-migrant89%
Gifted/talented95%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students66%

Gifted/talented88%
Non-Gifted67%
Bilingual13%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Mrs Missy Chavez
Fax number
  • (940) 369-4909

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2525 Yellowstone