Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Houston Elementary School 3

Posted February 26, 2016
Security expecially the pickup process is very poor! Principal needs to get a handle on this situation. Little ones running around without and checks & balances of who is really picking up who???

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 19, 2016
I have never seen a principals face as often as I see Mrs. Andress. My children even talk about how much she is around and in their classes all the time. She is so involved and the true make-up of this campus. She has a clear and strong love for what she does. Thank you, Mrs. Andress!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 19, 2016
Interventions were immediate when they were needed. Tutoring is offered, and resources were shared. Communication was consistent so there were no surprises.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 19, 2016
We spend about 20 minutes a day on homework. Most of it my children can do independently.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 19, 2016
Expectations are stated clearly with the students, and they are given opportunity to take ownership of their success and their behavior.

Posted February 19, 2016
I love how involved the principal is here at Sam Houston. She is always in the classrooms, in the hallways, at dismissal, everywhere you look every time I am there. My son came to this school behind in math and within the first 6 weeks, he was on level and proceeded to progress and love math! The teacher communication is good, daily folders and emails with reminders and notices of things to come. All of my children have made amazing friends here, very respectful and friendly environment. I also love how they do morning exercises as a campus every morning, and all grade levels have PE three times a week. The younger grade levels have two recess times, and I feel this is so important for their learning throughout the day. I am very thankful for this staff and school.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 19, 2015
Our daughter is in First Grade at Sam Houston Elementary and has Ms. Ide as her teacher. Our daughter is head strong and is not always the easiest to put up with. Ms. Ide does a wonderful job encouraging her to make the correct choices and providing positive reinforcement when addressing the behavior. We cannot say enough about the wonderful job Ms. Ide is doing for our daughter and our family.

Posted August 09, 2015
Excellent school and teachers. We loved our first year here! Couldn't have asked for more caring teachers. Our daughter really excelled here.

Houston Elementary School 2

Posted July 28, 2015
Our child did fine in second grade here, and then third grade was a horrible experience for him. He fell way behind, and now hates school. In-class intervention documentations were requested several times and very little was documented about what was being done to help in class, . Lots of worksheets and test prep and computerized assessments. Some interventions were incorrectly documented and had to be corrected per parent request. He is a special kid so STAAR is part of the problem but we feel like the problems were not handled in a positive or professional manner. We were shcoked when his teacher started talking about retention in January. That seemed drastic for a student that had been doing well K-2. We hope for a better experience next year. We hope he gets back his love of learning. We are also very concerned with the security of the school, seems like anyone can sign any name and just walk on in. No id's are checked. Like another review stated document your problems with emails and notes.

Posted August 31, 2014
Our son has attended Sam Houston since K. He is in 4th now, and our 2nd son is now in K there as well. We have been pleased overall with the school, and staff. We moved last spring out of the Houston zone. We didn't want to change schools, so we were able to apply for a transfer to keep our kids there. My son has had some amazing teachers, and some we didn't care for so much! He is also in Dyslexia, and this program has been amazing for him. I do agree parent involvement is very high, and if it was not for all the parent volunteers; my son wouldn't academically be where he is today! Now we have another son in K this year, and though the new school year has just begun we are very pleased so far! I do agree drop off, and Pu need major improvements. It's been overwhelming each day! The homework load can be a bit much, but it's manageable, and always consistent. So, you know what to expect each week. We have had great experiences with the Principal, and Counselor. They are both very invoked with the students, and daily activities of the school. In my opinion Houston is a great school, and we are pleased our children get to be a part of such a great, positive, learning Environment.

3100 Teasley Lane, Denton, TX  76205
Last modified Houston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.