Bad
Good

Posted March 09, 2016
My son attended kindergarten for two weeks before we withdrew him. He has high functioning autism and we spoke with DeSoto ISD before the school year began to ensure that there would be no issues. After two weeks, the vice principal informed my husband that "no one wanted our son at the school and they were talking about suspending him". The issue was that my son completed his work quickly, got bored and started acting out in class. He was already reading when he started kindergarten while the other kids in his class were just learning letter sounds. Instead of giving him more challenging work or working with us to create an independent education plan, the school staff was more focused on kicking my son out. I'm not making excuses for him acting out in class, but keep in mind that he is only five years old. After that comment from the vice principal, we immediately withdrew our son because we feared for his safety. This school, principal McGowan and the staff are completely incompetent at working with children with disabilities. And from the low test scores and the school's overall low ranking among Texas elementary schools, they appear completely inept at educating any child.

Posted April 23, 2013
I have a child that attends this school and I am VERY DISSATIFIED with the Principal and her so called leadership! I don't think she is that involved in the school as a whole and they need to hire more professional teachers that is willing to make sure your child learns! All the principal is concerned about are TEST SCORES! And if this continues the school will go down as a whole more than what it is now!

Cockrell Hill Elementary School 5

Posted March 22, 2013
I love CHE! In the morning the teachers along with Ms. McGowan the Principal and Ms. Vaughn the Asst. Principal greet the students with a positive word that is also shared with the entire school during the mornings announcements. My daughters' teachers, Ms. Duffey and Ms. Santamaria are available to address any questions or concerns that I have. The music teacher Ms. Fuller leads the children in prideful performances that would impress any observer. CHE has an open door policy for their parents. Ms. Ms Gowan encourages the parents to be hands on with their children s' education. CHE is a TEA Exemplary School and I am a proud parent of a CHE student!!!

Cockrell Hill Elementary School 5

Posted April 16, 2011
I have a daughter that attends CHE she's has been there for 3 years now and I am very pleased with the progress she has made. The Teachers and Administrator are great. Principal Randall is GREAT!!!!

Cockrell Hill Elementary School 4

Posted May 08, 2010
I have 2 children in Cockrell and I'm extremely satisified with the education and staff.

Cockrell Hill Elementary School

Posted April 19, 2010
Caring & excellant teachers.They take time to give as much individual care to the students. They make home calls just make students are keep on track for grades and tests.Parent /teacher day is always a blast

Cockrell Hill Elementary School 2

Posted December 28, 2009
My daughter attented Crockrell Hill Elementary since the first grade. I have been so disappointed with this school. There have been a few good teachers but most have left. I don't think these kids are challenged enough with their studies. My daughter is now in 5th grade and I feel has fell extremly behind. We have moved because I feel a childs education is very important especially in this society.

Cockrell Hill Elementary School 3

Posted August 13, 2009
Cockrell Hill has been a disappointment for me since moving from Shreveport, LA. My son was doing much better in school and I felt that he was learning and challenged. Of course, having my sister-in-law as the principal at his school and hand-picking his teachers made a difference. It's been a struggle making sure that my son gets the most out of his classes and we've had to work really closely with his teachers to make sure he stays on track. The teachers aren't the problem; I think it's TX's education standards and practices.

Posted November 05, 2005
Low performing, poor school administration, poor quality teachers. Do not send a child to this school if you want him/her to get a good education.

Cockrell Hill Elementary School 4

Posted July 26, 2004
My 9 year old daughter has attended Cockrell Hill Elementary since the 2nd grade. It is a wonderful school where the teachers and administration care about the students. I am looking forward to my 5 year old attending kindergarten. I am truly impressed with Desoto ISD.

Cockrell Hill Elementary School
425 South Cockrell Hill Road, DeSoto, TX  75115
Last modified Cockrell Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.