Duncanville High School

Public | 9-12 | 3986 students

Living in Duncanville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $95,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted November 7, 2008

My daughter graduated from DHS in 2005. I know it was a great experience for her. Moving from NC to Texas twice I think that the is was a true blessing. She learned more and was exposed to a lot of different things. DHS is an awesome school, keep up the good work.

Posted January 23, 2008

I'm an alumni of DHS and I think it's an awesome school. I learned so much from my teachers and peers. The diversity of the students prepares you for the real world. The teachers sincerely care about their students, and there's so many extracurricular activities that leaves no one out. There's a niche for everyone.

Posted January 15, 2008

I am an alumni of Duncaville H.S. I think it is a great school. It has an awesome curriculum, I didn't think that when I was in school. However now I really appreciate and am grateful for all the wonderful teachers at D'ville High. They do a great job at preparing the students for the 'Real World'. Keep up the great world.

Posted January 6, 2008

my child is in band, and has been for 5 years previously. she loves it, despite the rigorous program. It encourages working as a team, and excells in musicality, and marching. The concerts are wonderful, and we have enjoyed all of them. the students are challenged to do well, and private teaching is expected for the most part. As for the academics, they seem to be good. My child has some AP and some regular classes. In general, she has found that the aP classes are better, because of better behavior, and the more intense work. As long as the student is prepared to work hard, I believe that they can do well at DHS. As for extracurricular activities, there are many clubs, and many organizations to be involved in: athletics, languages, and others. I have heard that choir is also excellent.

Posted December 9, 2007

Duncanville High School is an amazing school. The athletics have been stellar for decades, the band is top-notch, and the pre-professional courses are numerous. There is something for everyone at DHS. Culinary Arts, Drafting, Auto Mechanics, Cosmetics, Hotel and Restaurant Management; the list goes on and on. The academic offerings are great as well. AP and Pre-AP classes have prepared me well. The one 'regular' class I took was not bad either, and that teacher had achieved a perfect score on his SAT. The school is very diverse, and white people are a minority. The dress code is a pain, but in the long run, it doesn't matter what miserable clothing you had to wear in high school. One student in my class achieved a perfect score on his ACT; several students were national merit scholars. The facilities are new and there is something for everyone at DHS.

Posted August 28, 2007

I jus recently graduated from Duncanville High School, and I'm glad that I graduated from Duncanville High School. Even though they focused on our dress code more than anything, the teachers and staff there made sure that we got the education we needed, and they made sure that we were ready for the world. Parents, you should be glad and honored that your child is attending and graduating from Duncanville.

Posted April 6, 2007

I think Duncanville is the worst school I have every seen in my 10 years as a resident in Texas. The school is lacking in text books,art materials,academics program material necessary for students to succeed. Its a shame a brand new library doesn't have books to fill its shelves.More money is spent in football,basketball, sports over all than any other educational needs. The TASK test is part of the problem because teacher instruct how to pass testing

Posted February 25, 2007

I am currently attending Duncanville High School. Its a good school, but it could use some changes. The staff concentrates more than it should on dress code. It feels like they are trying to make us grow up faster than we should. The classes are great, although they should check on the teachers to see if they are actually teaching (a problem that I had with a class first semester). There is less security for such a large school, and often the officers are rude. Overall, I think Duncanville High is a good place to send your kids. They will get the education needed in order to be successful.

Posted September 20, 2006

My daughter graduated from DHS four years ago & was well prepared for a major university. Now my son is a freshman. The AP academics and extracurricular activities are excellent; if your child will work the system, he can get well prepared for college or a skill. The school is so big, you have to help your child find a niche, to become a bigger 'fish' in a somewhat smaller 'pond'. All the challenges of a big school in a multi-cultural city offer opportunities for your child to get used to & deal with the real world. Only a parent can tell whether the child will thrive or get lost or misdirected. DHS can be a place for a great education!

Posted September 19, 2006

This is one of the best public schools I've seen. Kids complain about the dress code, but it helps bring order to the school and improves discipline. The band program may be the best in the country. I feel it is one of the most important 'subjects' my children take. They learn self-discipline, what it takes to be a top winner, and individual excellence while working as a group. Dr. Shine develops a tremendous esprit de corps and pride in hard work that brings a job well done. Most of the teachers my five children have had were excellent. A very few were not so good. A. Perkins

Posted September 9, 2006

I just recently graduated from Duncanville on June 2, 2006. I have been in the Duncanville school system since the fourth grade. Every school has its ups and downs. I believe that DHS is one of the best high schools in the surrounding Dallas area. I feel very confident in my college studies and consider myself more mature than the other students at my school. The only way for your child to get proper education at any school is for them to have plenty of parental support. As a psychology major, I know that misbehavior comes from lack of attention at home or some other internal pain. Become a supportive parent and you will have nothing to worry about.

Posted July 12, 2006

I was a student at Duncanville High from 2003-2005 and I loved it. Being a Caucasian student it was wonderful making new friends and learning so much about other cultures. I truly believe the school is what you make it, I was out-going and it paid off with lots of great friends and good relationships with my teachers. I am enrolling in medical university this fall and DHS helped prepare me for success. It is important to be cheerful and to keep your chin up and I think any student can succeed. Devon bell

Posted July 12, 2006

The faculty focuses more on dress code violations and not enough time on academics. The school would rather send students home for minor infractions instead of educating them. I guess for the school this eases the problem of overcrowding as this is the only High School in the Duncanville school district...

Posted July 1, 2006

I personally went to duncanville high school and hated every minute of it. The administration concentrates more on guidelines and codes, and could care a less about how the students feel. I hated this high school. God bless your child if he/she has to attend this school.

Posted June 5, 2006

Great school! Administration is awesome! Teacher communicate high expectations and provide instruction that is rigorous and relevant.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 11, 2006

my daughter is in the ninth grade at duncanville high. I am very pleased with the public schools in the dallas area. She enjoys going to school at Duncanville and has learned much more than she would have learned in the New orleans school system. Thank God for change.Thank you Duncanville.

Posted May 9, 2006

Academic programs are exceptional. Sports programs are based on favortism, limited opportunities.

Posted May 9, 2006

School is wonderful with a lot of programs that are offered. Schools are very involved and caring. School has wonderful special education department.

Posted February 5, 2006

Its a great school for your child to attend.

Posted October 26, 2005

I've had two sons attend DHS for all 4 years of their High School. The school has been exceptional for them. There are excellent, many and varied extracuricular activities and classes. The band program and all athletic programs we know of first hand are outstanding. The Advanced Placement Program is outstanding. Both of my children have been in several of these classes each year and have gained many hours of college credit as well as excellent study skills and an excellent education. My oldest son is graduating from Baylor Univ in just three years, with 20 extra hours, and has had an easy time with his college studies (has 4.0)--he credits this with having the DHS AP classes. Teachers and principals are great, in- volved in students lives, and know us by name! The school could use more parental involvement--most schools could. The school has beautiful, new facilities.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

1007 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

1003 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

961 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

934 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

933 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

918 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

813 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

819 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

819 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

817 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students96%

Economically disadvantaged96%
Special education78%
Limited English proficient (LEP)78%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

964 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

1074 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

715 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

1193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

1227 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

1017 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

1024 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

705 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

1153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

967 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

• ANDRE SMITH
Fax number
  • (972) 708-3737
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

900 West Camp Wisdom Road