Advantage Academy

Charter | PK-12 | 1630 students

Living in Duncanville

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $95,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted June 27, 2014

Advantage Academy has all certified teachers, A curriculum director with a doctorate, and at least two certified Principals--the GP Assistant Principal and the Waxahachie principal proudly display their credentials. Teachers care about the students and the administrative staff is always ready to greet you with a smile. I find it curious that previous negative comments are all from ex-disgruntled employees.

Posted June 24, 2014

Yes the kids were left standing in the rain yesterday. After reading this, I went to talk with the principle this morning. He asured me this would not happen again. I talked to him about the lunch arrangements, the kids are now eating in the lunchroom. If he is made aware of the problems the principle will take care of it. I'm not going to say anyone else will. I've had my share of problems with AA. but you have to address it then ask for action to be taken. There's only 2 weeks left of summer school, lets see how things go. AA use to be an outstanding school. Dr. Beck retired and turned it over to his kids. Shame on him. They don't know how to run a school. Sad thing is they will not ask for help from anyone or hear anyone with ideas. This could be a very good school again. We do have an awesome principle that has his hands tied by Central Office. They do all the hiring and firing. Angie McDonald, you need to call a meeting with parents and stop talking and hear what they have to say. You and the school would be better for it. It's ok not to know everything. A wise person knows when to ask for help. Where do you fall???

Posted June 22, 2014

Everything that is being said is true and then some. High school has more turnover of teachers. The administration walks into a classroom and fires the teacher in front of the class. Now the bad teachers they keep. There are some that never should have been hired. Don't you dare complain about anything. You will be shunned by all. You have to fight for your child to get the dedication they deserve. Central office has no clue on how to run this school. Angie's husband was a truck driver before he went to work in the Central office. No degree for his job. So many have no degree for what they are doing. Really parents, it is up to you to fight for and give your child a good education. This school can't fulfill this job. Staff is like bullies. If you stand up to them. They try to bully you and intimidate you. The principle was good at one time. But I guess Central office has beat him down. It use to be a good school. But no more. The TEA was going to take over if grades didn't come up. I know they started fixing grades. A staff member was told to fix grades. Do what ever they had to do. Just think before you come here.

Posted June 14, 2014

Teachers and Parents be very careful with this school. For me, this was the worst job I've ever had. It was so unorganized. Kids would frequently be left unattended because of scheduling problems, but was blamed on teachers. E-mails were regularly sent out in the middle of the day with a task to be completed by the end of the day. Teachers had students and were teaching bell to bell often with no lunch break (lunch duty) and no time during dismissal. When was this last minutes task suppose to be completed? Then, threats of being written up were always announced if the task wasn't completed in time. The only way to comply with all of their rules was to take time away from teaching. I don't believe this is ever a good way to educate children. DO NOT TEACH at this school.

Posted January 29, 2014

I am grateful for one reason and one reason only... this school gave me the experience I needed to get hired for a real district where I feel appreciated and am paid what the majority of Texas teachers are paid. The "metacogs" are a joke, and the majority of teachers have the same opinion. . I taught very young children, and they were expected to take 3 very long tests per grading period which is developmentally inappropriate. The assistant principal at North Duncanville... oh my... She is something else. We were constantly told "that's a problem..." about anything we did. She almost never had anything nice to say about anyone except her favorite teachers, one of which has since been promoted. She walked all over the principal.The curriculum is outdated and anyone who is actually educated and qualified are ignored, or promoted before their time. Our lead teacher last year was a third year teacher. She did a great job with what she had. She was honestly my saving grace and the only one that made me feel worth anything. Other than her, anyone above me was awful.

Posted January 28, 2014

Was looking for a small high school to send my autistic child to. This school is small but the staff is totally incompetent. Students treated badly by teachers, teachers fired in front of students, principle doesn't even know what is going on in his own school. I pulled my kids mid year. School was not following my child's IEP. School wants your kids there on time, but refuses to open gym for them to be supervised while waiting. This leads to a butt load of ppl trying to drop off kids as late as they can. Traffic is horrible. No access to the building your child is in. You may wait 15 min for someone to realize you are buzzing at the door. High school students showing PDA with no supervision. Principle and other key staff off campus at "central office" instead of at the school. Grand Prairie campus needs help. Where is the TEA? This school needs a take over. If you are on this site, you care about your child's in counters at school. AVOID THIS PLACE!!

Posted January 22, 2014

Unfortunately, everything that is written negative about AA is true. There are so many stories I could tell you that I do not even know where to start. I am a former teacher at AA. In the two years working here I have seen so much turnover it is unbelievable. My first days working here i found out that TEA was going to shut AA down. Don't know how they got out of that situation. More than half of the administrations and some teachers are not qualified for the positions they hold. All I can say God is watching. Oh, if you want to be employed here the pay is horrible. Save your teaching career and work for a private school. AA does not have a pay scale. I had a teacher friend that is qualified and been teaching for several years tell me that her pay is significantly less than a first year teacher at the same school.

Posted January 21, 2014

When parents get angry about something, they just fire their teachers. Instead of trying to come up with solutions to the problems they have, they pretend like the problem was never there. How are the children supposed to get a decent education if they have three different math teachers in a single year because you keep firing them? When your turnover rate is that high, something is wrong. Plus they're trying to sneak religion into their curriculum.

Posted July 8, 2013

Teaching for this school was a nightmare. I truly had awesome students, but due to the ridiculous demands of administration, I was unable to provide the education they deserved. This past year, my TPRI results showed A LOT of growth. Initially, this was so exciting because we had worked non stop trying to teach the kids how to read. Low and behold, I was informed by admin that their scores were awful and unacceptable. I went home in tears that day feeling like a failure... again. Central office (oh excuse me, district) is a joke. These people have absolutely NO clue what they're doing. I guess the fact most of them are not qualified might have something to do with it. We would receive emails in the middle of the day demanding we complete a task immediately, while teaching bell to bell. while completing an overload of paperwork. If it wasn't done, they would threaten to "write you up". This was a HORRIBLE experience. Parents, do NOT send your children to this place. Please reconsider before doing so. The only good thing I can say was that my principal was very supportive. The assistance principal, on the hand, was verbally abusive and on a constant power trip. Horrible!!!

Posted June 29, 2013

I have worked at this school great kids but central office is the worst . It started when payroll said I could not do married at a single rate it was on the form and I had marked this at all my other jobs. Payroll is never right you have to wait months and months to get paid for working Saturday school. Text books are so out of date. Students have a hard time moving into high school behind all other students. Angie McDonald hired her husband back after being fired last year. Tony Williams was demoted and Angie promoted back up this year. Sports they cut football from campus that did not have highschool. No support for athletics no money no good sport equipment had to make our own. Last two weeks of school they removed all books all educational things. If you want your child to receive a good education don't go to Advantage Academy.

Posted June 22, 2013

This school does poorly at preparing its students academically and has an inept administration. They have difficulty retaining quality educators and struggle to handling even mundane administrative tasks, such as enrollment. The only redeeming quality to this school is that it is surrounding by similarly mediocre public schools and so can appear attractive to cash strapped parents struggling to find alternatives to the area public schools.

Posted May 2, 2013

Well AA-GP has its good and its NOT so good, my son has been here since kindergarten now 2nd grade and he does great, my daughter has only been here 5th and now 6th grade, she too also does great. The administration staff could be better when it comes to us parents we should be on the same page when it comes to ANY matter my child has to be out of class from having to go to nurse, getting any disciplinary action and especially when you are asking my child to sign and date an attendance for credit loss of recovery plan form that a.goes in your school record folder and b.requires parent signatures

Posted April 19, 2013

I'm a student that is currently attending this school. Do not send your kid here. This school gets rid of teachers a lot. Right now I have a long term subs in two of my classes. Some of the teachers are good but other teachers are super rude. The lunch here is terrible and expensive. There aren't any fun classes like art or something. They don't have gym for high school. The elementary and jr high are allowed in the gym after school but not the high school students; even on a cold day. The kids don't care about their grades and talk or do what they want and most of the time when the teacher tries to make them be quiet, they don't listen. So it's a hard environment to learn in. Some of the teachers teach quickly. Thus making the students not retaining the subject. I tried talking to the principal about something and he brushed me off instead of taking it serious. I asked the counselor about my STAAR test results before spring break. She never told me them. So the staff is very coordinated. There are many bad things about this school so I don't recommend this school.

Posted April 3, 2013

This school is led by inept and abusive administrators-nepotism at its best. The founder was put out to pasture by a temperamental, temper throwing daughter who is now the superintendent. Certifications are lacking, high teacher turnovers, no value placed on loyal employees. There are much better choices out there. Stay away from this one. I was associated with this circus for over 8 years. It's a money making machine for one family. Where is TEA? They won't make AYP for the third year in a row.

Posted January 28, 2013

I as a parent have been pleased so far with the GP location. This is our third year, we have had some issues but they where all corrected to my satisfactory. I am very involved with my child's education and i believe he/she is succeeding well. This year has been our best year so far, we have better administration than the previous years. I believe advantage academy is getting better.

Posted November 14, 2012

Advantage Academy an amazingly inept administration. They have no concept of how to treat employees. Their typical process for firing people is not fair to the employee and often is based on their understanding of the "facts", which once refuted are ignored. They have abusive policies for requiring teachers, school administrators and central office staff to abide by insane requirements that are not only unproductive, but are totally counterproductive. I am ashamed to have my child associated with this school and would urge anyone to investigate before moving to this school. Also, it would be worth the effort to investigate by talking to teachers to determine their level of satisfaction with the outcomes in the classroom and the rules they must follow.

Posted September 14, 2012

AT ROWLETT LOCATION OFFICE STAFF NOT FREINDLYAND OUT GOING MY CHILD TOLD ME TEACHER IS YELLING AT CLASS TELLING CLASS THEY ARE MAKING VERY VERY ANGRY.SCHOOL LUNCH WAS DELIVERED LATE TWICE ONE TIME ALMOST TWO HOURS LATE. YOUR CHILD REALLY HAS TO BE THERE AT 7:55 NOT 8 BECOUSE IF THEY ARRIVE AT 7:59 THEN THEY GIVE THEM A TARDY SLIP NO GRACE ON THAT NOT EVEN 5 SEC. CHILD IS FALLING ASLEEP IN CLASS DO TO BORDEM. NOT ALOUND TO WATCH TEACHERS WITH OUT THEM KNOWING TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE BEEING NICE TO THEIR CLASS OF 5 AND 6 YEAR OLD THAT CAN NOT STAND UP FOR THERE SELFS.

Posted July 31, 2012

I sent two kids to North Duncanville last year. My mistake was not pulling them out mid year. I support experimentation like Advantage's Metakogs, but in this case they simply don't work. Textbooks were not available to students, no way to learn material at home, or for parents to know what's going on. Even the "megakogs" were photocopies with small print. Everything we saw was poorly implemented. One math class had a 50%+ failure rate on tests! To their credit, they did post the results on the bulletin board, but obviously this teacher needed help and the principal did not provide. (poor performance continued) The school should be shut down, but if it's not, I don't recommend sending your students there. As far as parental involvement, it was nil. Good luck even trying to get a syllabus to give to a tutor so she could be taught before tests!

Posted July 28, 2012

I am a student at Advantage academy. From my experience being there as a student i would tell parents DO NOT BRING YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. It is possibly the worst school in GP. As far as education, you will barely get any education. Every other school is far more advanced than we are and we are way behind in what we need to be in, I will be a junior this August and I am in desperate need of finding a new school. This is far most the worst school to ever put your child in. No type of well education. Students treat teachers badly, some. A lot of GREAT teachers get fired for absolutely no reason and hire teachers that can't teach for nothing. So far 6 teachers were fired so basically we learned nothing while they were being fired and some had no type of experience Never go back there. GP Advantage Academy. I promise you, you will regret it.

Posted July 5, 2012

I worked at this school in 2010. It was a horrible experience. A new administration building was opened that one can tell cost a lot of money, however the students had no library, gym, playground. Students could not talk to each other during lunch.Teachers were overworked with no lunch break, little pay and demanding schedules. When testing is going on, even if it is only one grade testing they force the other grades to stay in a class room the entire day without talking and working on packets (no isd does that). We were forced to teach Caroline Leaf's strategies for education, but no other school uses that. Students were completely disrespectful and the administration did nothing to moniter it. Many teachers did not have degrees or credentials. I would not send my child to this school because they most likely will not learn. Teacher turnover is high because the work enviornment is horrible.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

138 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

140 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

123 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

107 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

100 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

106 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

109 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

117 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

112 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

121 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

120 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

70 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

49 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

46 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students55%

Male100%
White100%
Economically disadvantaged96%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

• SAM COOPER
Fax number
  • (214) 276-5890

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now