Advantage Academy 2

Posted July 19, 2014
The GP campus has ALOT of turn overs. The teachers don't stay. Two years ago GP campus had the best teachers I've ever seen. Everyone of them left. You have to wonder and ask why. I've never seen a school where teachers are running for the door. Why??? GP has a wonderful wonderful principle. But it goes down hill after that. This could be an awesome school. But changes has to be made in leadership first.

Posted July 15, 2014
I find it curious that the school has this many ex-employees to make negative comments. Open your eyes, AA. When nearly an entire building of certified elementary teachers do not return the following year (most of them left by choice), you're the one with the problem. This school has the worst teacher turnover I have ever seen or heard of. This turnover happened at North Duncanville year after year after year, and is still happening. But they can't let go of their pride in order to see that maybe, just maybe, they need to quit blaming everyone else and look in the mirror. The kids will continue to suffer until AA admin gets their act together. Seriously, let go of your need to control and micromanage and get with it.

Advantage Academy 4

Posted June 27, 2014
Advantage Academy has all certified teachers, A curriculum director with a doctorate, and at least two certified Principals--the GP Assistant Principal and the Waxahachie principal proudly display their credentials. Teachers care about the students and the administrative staff is always ready to greet you with a smile. I find it curious that previous negative comments are all from ex-disgruntled employees.

Advantage Academy 2

Posted June 24, 2014
Yes the kids were left standing in the rain yesterday. After reading this, I went to talk with the principle this morning. He asured me this would not happen again. I talked to him about the lunch arrangements, the kids are now eating in the lunchroom. If he is made aware of the problems the principle will take care of it. I'm not going to say anyone else will. I've had my share of problems with AA. but you have to address it then ask for action to be taken. There's only 2 weeks left of summer school, lets see how things go. AA use to be an outstanding school. Dr. Beck retired and turned it over to his kids. Shame on him. They don't know how to run a school. Sad thing is they will not ask for help from anyone or hear anyone with ideas. This could be a very good school again. We do have an awesome principle that has his hands tied by Central Office. They do all the hiring and firing. Angie McDonald, you need to call a meeting with parents and stop talking and hear what they have to say. You and the school would be better for it. It's ok not to know everything. A wise person knows when to ask for help. Where do you fall???

Posted June 22, 2014
Everything that is being said is true and then some. High school has more turnover of teachers. The administration walks into a classroom and fires the teacher in front of the class. Now the bad teachers they keep. There are some that never should have been hired. Don't you dare complain about anything. You will be shunned by all. You have to fight for your child to get the dedication they deserve. Central office has no clue on how to run this school. Angie's husband was a truck driver before he went to work in the Central office. No degree for his job. So many have no degree for what they are doing. Really parents, it is up to you to fight for and give your child a good education. This school can't fulfill this job. Staff is like bullies. If you stand up to them. They try to bully you and intimidate you. The principle was good at one time. But I guess Central office has beat him down. It use to be a good school. But no more. The TEA was going to take over if grades didn't come up. I know they started fixing grades. A staff member was told to fix grades. Do what ever they had to do. Just think before you come here.

Posted June 14, 2014
Teachers and Parents be very careful with this school. For me, this was the worst job I've ever had. It was so unorganized. Kids would frequently be left unattended because of scheduling problems, but was blamed on teachers. E-mails were regularly sent out in the middle of the day with a task to be completed by the end of the day. Teachers had students and were teaching bell to bell often with no lunch break (lunch duty) and no time during dismissal. When was this last minutes task suppose to be completed? Then, threats of being written up were always announced if the task wasn't completed in time. The only way to comply with all of their rules was to take time away from teaching. I don't believe this is ever a good way to educate children. DO NOT TEACH at this school.

Posted January 28, 2014
Was looking for a small high school to send my autistic child to. This school is small but the staff is totally incompetent. Students treated badly by teachers, teachers fired in front of students, principle doesn't even know what is going on in his own school. I pulled my kids mid year. School was not following my child's IEP. School wants your kids there on time, but refuses to open gym for them to be supervised while waiting. This leads to a butt load of ppl trying to drop off kids as late as they can. Traffic is horrible. No access to the building your child is in. You may wait 15 min for someone to realize you are buzzing at the door. High school students showing PDA with no supervision. Principle and other key staff off campus at "central office" instead of at the school. Grand Prairie campus needs help. Where is the TEA? This school needs a take over. If you are on this site, you care about your child's in counters at school. AVOID THIS PLACE!!

Posted January 22, 2014
Unfortunately, everything that is written negative about AA is true. There are so many stories I could tell you that I do not even know where to start. I am a former teacher at AA. In the two years working here I have seen so much turnover it is unbelievable. My first days working here i found out that TEA was going to shut AA down. Don't know how they got out of that situation. More than half of the administrations and some teachers are not qualified for the positions they hold. All I can say God is watching. Oh, if you want to be employed here the pay is horrible. Save your teaching career and work for a private school. AA does not have a pay scale. I had a teacher friend that is qualified and been teaching for several years tell me that her pay is significantly less than a first year teacher at the same school.

Posted January 21, 2014
When parents get angry about something, they just fire their teachers. Instead of trying to come up with solutions to the problems they have, they pretend like the problem was never there. How are the children supposed to get a decent education if they have three different math teachers in a single year because you keep firing them? When your turnover rate is that high, something is wrong. Plus they're trying to sneak religion into their curriculum.

Posted July 08, 2013
Teaching for this school was a nightmare. I truly had awesome students, but due to the ridiculous demands of administration, I was unable to provide the education they deserved. This past year, my TPRI results showed A LOT of growth. Initially, this was so exciting because we had worked non stop trying to teach the kids how to read. Low and behold, I was informed by admin that their scores were awful and unacceptable. I went home in tears that day feeling like a failure... again. Central office (oh excuse me, district) is a joke. These people have absolutely NO clue what they're doing. I guess the fact most of them are not qualified might have something to do with it. We would receive emails in the middle of the day demanding we complete a task immediately, while teaching bell to bell. while completing an overload of paperwork. If it wasn't done, they would threaten to "write you up". This was a HORRIBLE experience. Parents, do NOT send your children to this place. Please reconsider before doing so. The only good thing I can say was that my principal was very supportive. The assistance principal, on the hand, was verbally abusive and on a constant power trip. Horrible!!!

Advantage Academy
618 West Wheatland Road, Duncanville, TX  75116
Last modified Advantage Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Advantage Academy Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 67 reviews.