Posted July 11, 2014
This is a good school. I see so many complains from parents but the truth is that must do not involve as much as they should in their kids education. Every time the school have something called Coffee with the principal which is once every month. You only see the same few faces showing. This is the time where you can say all your concerns if any and be heard. The principal tries to do his best but his efforts are often shorten by parents and other staff members. I feel that this school is needing uniforms as well. This will diminish bulling and improving academic results by telling the kids when they wear that uniform is time to learn not to talk about the princess in their shirt or the superhero movie coming on. The propose for uniform was denied by parents and yet they have a concern about somebody bulling their kids because their clothes look ugly or old, or their hair is messy.. Parents have to assume responsibility as well as the staff members. We need to work together and stop pointing fingers and giving complains without a positive solution! This year my son had an excellent teacher who help him archive his honor roll. I am looking forward to the next school year !

Posted January 24, 2014
This school isn't bad however, some changes could improve it. Physical violence among the students is high. There is nothing for the 3-5 graders to exert there physical energy outside. The PE program is a joke. Administration is nice however, they could enforce rules more and let the children and parents know there are consequences for breaking rules. This school really needs more parent involvement. This could be a great school however, there are definite obstacles in the way.

Posted November 20, 2013
Lots of bullying going on, it gets pushed under the rug by the faculty here, also the MPs working during the pickup and drop off time have yelled and threatened myself and several other parents! Very unorganized, and barely any parking! BUT so far great experience with the kinder teachers! No complaints there.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 5

Posted October 29, 2013
My daughter attends Colin Powell Elementary and have never had more teachers at one time ,show so much interest in assuring my daughter succeed! Great teachers, staff and principal!

Posted September 17, 2013
I was highly unsatisfied with the school. A large portion of the way they operate is highly unorganized. They have too many kids in each class, 27 in some of the lower grades even, and have no solution for any of it. The VP was walking around campus for weeks and conducted herself in such a manner that I honestly thought she was just a school monitor. The principal is less than concerned with the students and is more focused on running the school as a business. The teachers are not redeeming either. Most have had issues arise with parents and the common solution is to put a band aid on it by just conferencing. I would not place my child in this school next year and advise others that fall under boundaries for it to see out a different school.

Posted August 25, 2012
My child attended last year and we had an awesome year. His teacher truly cared about him and the other students in the class. Small classes, 15 to 1. I was informed daily of his behavior and was kept updated on what they were learning in class. My child was always excited for the next day, was disappointed if it was a weekend or a school holiday. Only thing keeping it from a 5 star was one incident where I was not properly informed of an accident on the playground, that was rectified by a call to the VP and was always informed after that. My opinion is the staff is outstanding. I look forward to the new school year. No comment on parent involvement as I was not at the school daily as I am also a full-time student and work.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 5

Posted February 17, 2012
parking dropoff and pickup is awful... you rarely get fliers telling you of upcoming events. I have missed parades and things I typically wouldn't have missed had I been aware. The school had bullying problems that we dealt with my little 5 year old but as soon as the v.p. became aware of situation he put an end to it very quickly. Discussing bullying with his teacher was a waste of time but going straight to the v.p. was great. He pulled in all kids acused of bulllying and all so called victims... Problem was handled well by mr. adams. Teachers are great when it comes to education... My son has come a long way.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 1

Posted January 06, 2012
This is the most disconnected school I've had to deal with. They do not care if your child has special needs and there is no funding for a teacher's aide. Classes are overcrowded and it's ridiculous that PK only has bilingual classrooms. It really threw my child off having to listen to that as he only speak English. The curriculum for this school is also minimal. find a good private school in the area if you can afford one before sending your child to this school.

Posted August 29, 2011
I know this school year has just started, but so far my son's Kindergarten teacher is wonderful. He comes home every day very happy and tells me about all the things that were taught for the day. His teacher ensures the children are being respectful and behaving appropriately, and uses a rewards system for good behavior. She even told me that she would challenge him individually if he needed extra stimulation. My son attended a different EPISD school last year, and was always getting into trouble and had a terrible attitude when I picked him up (due to a conflict with the teacher's aide). So I give 4 thumbs up to Powell. The parking is horrific, and you have to leave really early to get a decent spot on the street. Registration took entirely too long, as only 1 person does registration. I met the interium principal and she seemed nice, but I don't know who the new one will be (hince the 3 stars). I am not sure how involved parents are just yet either. Only time will tell. There is supervision on the playground before school and in the cafeteria. I don't see any bullying during the morning hours, and many parents wait with their children until it's time to line up.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 1

Posted August 01, 2011
Parking is horrible- truly a nightmare. The teachers my twins had said the Gifted and Talented Program was a waste and i couldn't ever go to any events because we never received fliers or announcements. my opinion, shut this school down

Colin L Powell Elementary School
4750 Ellerthorpe Avenue, El Paso, TX  79904
Last modified Colin L Powell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Colin L Powell Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top