Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Colin L Powell Elementary School
Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 18, 2015
I know lower level kids don't get much to begin with, but it's hard to say if they've got enough homework when the teacher doesn't spend time teaching., instead of having inappropriate conversations on her phone in class.

Posted June 05, 2015
Open QuoteMr V, the principal of the school, has very high expectations of his students and tries hard to help them achieve those standards. He appears to care deeply about the whole child, and I take comfort in that. Life is not ONLY about college and grades, it's also very much about character. Things are a work in progress, so if you have concerns please don't sit on them or vent on facebook pages. Be proactive as a parent at least with your child's teachers. Talk with school officials to get your questions answered and take the appropriate steps to getting the school the help it needs in those areas of concern. My opinion of positives include frequent and many field trips, school dances, celebrations. I have found staff to be caring and helpful for the most part. The school is neat and clean and decorated in a way that appeals to children. In general, the tone of the school is bright and uplifting. I do feel Powell would do well to establish a kindness code and have teachers so knowledgeable that they can quote it and apply it to students. Behavioral issues need attention, but nothing that training and follow-up can't handle. Curriculum is based on the state of Texas, and my opinion of that is not final. Some aspects are fantastic, others are ridiculous, but again it is a TEXAS issue, not Powell. I feel this was (is) a safe school for my child. I taught my kids basic problem solving techniques, and I feel there was nothing this past year that wasn't something she couldn't handle. That is not to say everyone else's experience was like ours, but many people I talk to agree with me. I should note my child was a 5th grader. Visit the school, talk to people and base your decision on that interaction. So many negatives I'd read about I never experienced at Powell, and a few positives I hadn't either.Close Quote

Posted July 11, 2014
This is a good school. I see so many complains from parents but the truth is that must do not involve as much as they should in their kids education. Every time the school have something called Coffee with the principal which is once every month. You only see the same few faces showing. This is the time where you can say all your concerns if any and be heard. The principal tries to do his best but his efforts are often shorten by parents and other staff members. I feel that this school is needing uniforms as well. This will diminish bulling and improving academic results by telling the kids when they wear that uniform is time to learn not to talk about the princess in their shirt or the superhero movie coming on. The propose for uniform was denied by parents and yet they have a concern about somebody bulling their kids because their clothes look ugly or old, or their hair is messy.. Parents have to assume responsibility as well as the staff members. We need to work together and stop pointing fingers and giving complains without a positive solution! This year my son had an excellent teacher who help him archive his honor roll. I am looking forward to the next school year !

Posted January 24, 2014
This school isn't bad however, some changes could improve it. Physical violence among the students is high. There is nothing for the 3-5 graders to exert there physical energy outside. The PE program is a joke. Administration is nice however, they could enforce rules more and let the children and parents know there are consequences for breaking rules. This school really needs more parent involvement. This could be a great school however, there are definite obstacles in the way.

Posted November 20, 2013
Lots of bullying going on, it gets pushed under the rug by the faculty here, also the MPs working during the pickup and drop off time have yelled and threatened myself and several other parents! Very unorganized, and barely any parking! BUT so far great experience with the kinder teachers! No complaints there.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 5

Posted October 29, 2013
My daughter attends Colin Powell Elementary and have never had more teachers at one time ,show so much interest in assuring my daughter succeed! Great teachers, staff and principal!

Posted September 17, 2013
I was highly unsatisfied with the school. A large portion of the way they operate is highly unorganized. They have too many kids in each class, 27 in some of the lower grades even, and have no solution for any of it. The VP was walking around campus for weeks and conducted herself in such a manner that I honestly thought she was just a school monitor. The principal is less than concerned with the students and is more focused on running the school as a business. The teachers are not redeeming either. Most have had issues arise with parents and the common solution is to put a band aid on it by just conferencing. I would not place my child in this school next year and advise others that fall under boundaries for it to see out a different school.

Posted August 25, 2012
My child attended last year and we had an awesome year. His teacher truly cared about him and the other students in the class. Small classes, 15 to 1. I was informed daily of his behavior and was kept updated on what they were learning in class. My child was always excited for the next day, was disappointed if it was a weekend or a school holiday. Only thing keeping it from a 5 star was one incident where I was not properly informed of an accident on the playground, that was rectified by a call to the VP and was always informed after that. My opinion is the staff is outstanding. I look forward to the new school year. No comment on parent involvement as I was not at the school daily as I am also a full-time student and work.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 5

Posted February 17, 2012
parking dropoff and pickup is awful... you rarely get fliers telling you of upcoming events. I have missed parades and things I typically wouldn't have missed had I been aware. The school had bullying problems that we dealt with my little 5 year old but as soon as the v.p. became aware of situation he put an end to it very quickly. Discussing bullying with his teacher was a waste of time but going straight to the v.p. was great. He pulled in all kids acused of bulllying and all so called victims... Problem was handled well by mr. adams. Teachers are great when it comes to education... My son has come a long way.

Colin L Powell Elementary School 1

Posted January 06, 2012
This is the most disconnected school I've had to deal with. They do not care if your child has special needs and there is no funding for a teacher's aide. Classes are overcrowded and it's ridiculous that PK only has bilingual classrooms. It really threw my child off having to listen to that as he only speak English. The curriculum for this school is also minimal. find a good private school in the area if you can afford one before sending your child to this school.

Colin L Powell Elementary School
4750 Ellerthorpe Avenue, El Paso, TX  79904
Last modified Colin L Powell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.