Harmony Science Academy (El Paso)

Charter | K-12 | 970 students

Posted yesterday

My sister has been attending Harmony for 3 years going into her 4th year as I write this review. So far are experience with this school are overwhelmingly postivie. There are a few cons here and there but I think it's a matter of knowing what you want them to succeed in. Yes, Harmony does not have any kind of sports activities (I suppose if this is important to a parent the school while NOT meet your needs) and they are lacking in any other after school activities (which to some extent is major con for me) but we've managed to add activities of her own outside of Harmony to keep her busy. Academically the school is what we were looking for and, as of yet, have nothing to complain about. My sister is taking Turkish (which I find strange being there other languages with more use that could have been taught) although should would have preferred French but she's taking it in stride and is enjoying the class. Overall, we've had good experience with Harmony and find it challenging compared to the previous school she attended.

Posted October 10, 2013

I am a parent of two students; prospective parents and students beware. At first, Harmony Science Academy seemed an appropriate choice, comparing it to the public schools surrounding our area; however, the principal and staff are incredibly unorganized, planning their events in a hurried and unorganized manner. The preference in teachers is mostly from Turkish decent. These teachers have not mastered the English language and carry a heavy, incomprehensible accent. We often receive communication such as syllabi or emails from teachers, which are close to illegible. My children are forced to take Turkish classes, when in fact we have selected Spanish as our language of choice. Living in El Paso, Spanish is a necessity, not a preference. We are ready to relocate our children to another school.

Posted September 13, 2013

Academically, you a school that will provide the proper education and also challenge your child. They did all of this for my son, I am sports mom that wants him to achieve in those areas when he gets older. HSA, proviveds skills that enhance what he needs when he reaches college versus holding him back like most school that refuses to teach. Thr teachers are always readily available if he needs more guidance or if I have a question. The facility is a school that is safe looking, he used to go to a school where just anyone could walk in. Thegfacility is helpful and I have never had a problem, my son is in AP classes in which he last school, Bassett Middle School refused to test him, making him bring home straight As was nice, but he was bored. HSA is challenging and he loves, he mskes honor roll all the time.The is the only school that received any type of recognition for their excellent education in yheir students versus any other school in El Paso.

Posted January 19, 2012

As a parent of two students , one in high school and another in middle I am posting these thoughts for other prospective parents.My children have a ttended for 3 years. The dedication of the teachers seems to be very good, albeit I understand that some are hard to understand with their heavy accent. Classrooms seem to be well managed and extracurricular events are thoroughly planned and executed well. It seems their is some administrative channeling of students which in the old days would be called tracking but that is just an opinion . Otherwise thumbs up so far.

Posted June 27, 2011

My daughters have been in this schol for 5 years. My youngest daughter had being bullied most of her life in school and when we transfer her to this school, most of this kind of problems stoped. Their teaching method and leadership were excellent. My oldest daughter has always being very talented, but they did not have much extra curricular corses to help her charllenge herself. They had and excellent science, math, and robotic program, were she was involved until this year she just had the oportunity to placed on Science Fair. The principal was transfered to another HSA around Texas and the vice principal as well. We started seeing changes through the entire school. Especially on my olderst daughters programs mention above. They don't have much sports, H.S. does not provide physical education, Science is not as outstanding. My youngest daughter have improve in many ways. She has no problems with bullies, just typical kids normally arguing but alway school is on top of that. Overall I appreciate HSA for helping my youngest to believe in herself by not having to worry about bullies and the staff always being kind but strict to all students.

Posted February 20, 2011

I have my children there and they are happy. It s a great school with great teachers.

Posted September 19, 2010

As a member of leadership team in Harmony Science Academy El Paso, I would like to thank each and every member of school community to make Harmony El Paso the great experience for me as a new resident of this great city. It has been only pleasure to meet with all parents, students and all other stakeholders in El Paso community . This school has grown in enrollment from 300 to 730 in 4 years which ,of course, brought in some growing pains but what I have seen in my short experience is very dedicated faculty and parents who do everthing to make students feeling at home. With all issues any school might have, I think this school has been a good option for parents in public education. Umit Alp
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 5, 2010

I have two children that attend to this school since 2008. Overall I think this is an excellent school. Not only for the academic quality provided but also for the intrinsic motivation my children have. My children academic growth has exceeded our expectations. Parent involvement is a very important part in students academic life. Teachers are always thinking in supporting and improving the parents community by offering ESL classes, Turkish cooking classes, entertainment. It is so enjoyable that as a parent you always want to get involved. One aspect I am very thankful of is that all teachers are always involve not only with their students but also with their families. They always go for the extra mile. Extracurricular activities are always well organized. Finally, I want to thank all teachers and staff members for everything you do for our children. Guadalupe Yoshimoto

Posted August 5, 2010

I am currently a student at HSA, and i have attended the school since it opened. I believe that the school is a great oppurtunity if students like to be challenged. The teachers and administration greatly support students, in their academics. This school has opened many doors for me. I would recommend this school for any student who likes science/math/engineering.

Posted June 7, 2010

Administration does not have a clue how to run a school. Everything is always running on last minute. Dean of Education does not even have a masters degree. If you were to give the 10th grade TAKS test to the Turkish Administration, I guarantee that not a single one would pass it. In addition, the Turkish staff have horrific english writing, reading, and speaking skills. Turkish staff are given better pay, perks, and more access to the school compared to the regular non-turkish teachers. Shame on this school.

Posted November 7, 2009

My children attended HSA for three years. The first year was very good in spite of the turkish teachers lack of knowledge in English. As the years progressed the quality of teachers continued to decline. The teachers and parents instead of the students made the science fair projects as well as the robotic competition. The idea was for the students to be challenged and do the work not the parents and teachers. I was very disappointed with their leadership and lack of continuity. I feel I was mislead in this school. And for the foreigners, please learn and master the English language, it is very difficult to teach or communicate with these language barriers. The high school students should have a broader and more challenging curriculum and let them explore higher horizons. Extra curricular activities for the high school students would have been great. I would not recommend this school.

Posted November 3, 2009

The Elementary School is absolutely wonderful!!!!! But Middle and High .. different. Academically, however, excellent and challenging!!! It is a safe school .. no bullies, no drugs. But as you can read below ... you wonder if you live in the USA ... Still ... one of the best choices in El Paso!

Posted November 3, 2009

Hi, I'm a parent and I couldn't be happier with the way they teach at HSA. The quality of the teachers, they are so caring and understanding. They treat the children like if there family. They teaching the important things of life, manners, respect, ect. My children are so happy to be there and they are learning so much. This is the best school I could find for them.

Posted October 22, 2009

Hello, my name is Sujin An and I was a former student of Harmony Science Academy and a former valedictorian. I was in that school for 3years, since the school first opened in 2005(i believe), and my experience in that school is undescrible with words only. The faculty members and the students over there were so great that you are never ever going to find another school like this one. Currently I am attending Westwood Highschool in Austin because I wanted to explore the outside world an challenge myself further more but I do regret massively. My memories of Harmony Sciene Academy is so valuable that I am going to cherish until my last breath. Harmony Science Academy is such a excellent school and I believe this school will grow into one of best school in the nation. :]
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 9, 2009

my son has always been an exceptional student, we sent him to harmony for 2 years and during that time found the administrative staff to be very ethnocentric. I was amazed when the first year they opened the europe trip was to be chaparoned by the turkish teachers only. A few of the girls felt they needed a female teacher to chapparon but this was not allowed. The misogynistic attitude of the teachers left me feeling disenchanted. The test scores were indeed wonderful but my son had aced 2 previous taks scores in a regular school and we decided that he was going to succeed regardless of the school he attends. as for the staff it seems that the turkish teachers were the ones running the place when the teachers that were hired to teach the lower grade levels or local teachers were not given the same authority as the others

Posted April 27, 2009

Greetings, My name is Brian Abeyta and I am currently the Physical Education Teacher here at Harmony Science Academy. I have been with HSA for two years now and have had a great time with the students and the staff. After reading some of the reviews I wanted to post some information in regards to the physical/extracurricular activities that take place here at HSA. The academic aspect of the school is outstanding as we received exemplary status in 2007-2008, but along with that great achievement we also provide a great sports program. In 2008-2009 we started our first year of Basketball and Volleyball teams. The students had an awesome time and really enjoyed competing with other schools. We will continue again in 2009-2010 with Basketball and Volleyball, and will also be adding a new Football program. Furthermore, HSA provides many other outlets for sports, such as Soccer tournaments, Baseball games, and
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 3, 2009

I am a 3rd year parent of 3 children at this school, and I have mixed feelings. I agree that the level of education is exceptional, but I don't agree with the all the methods that the administration uses to acheive these goals. I believe that a well rounded person needs not only academics but also electives to enhance their learning capabilities. The students are treated as robots and are used by the administration to 'show off' their accomplishments by any means they can. The communition is great, if you don't question 'why' they do things and go along with what they 'tell' you. Otherwise, you are made to not feel welcome if you question any authority, just like the students. My questions have usually gone unanswered or brushed off by responses that aren't related to the topic at hand. The English language of the adminstrators/staff is not proficient.

Posted April 1, 2009

Oh Yeah! 100 % of the 8th Graders have passed the reading TAKS! WhooHoo! Now we're ready for Math! (Bring It On Math TAKS!)
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 2, 2009

Great School,I have my Three Daugthers there. The teachers are very nice persons. Different Activities like Art,Robotic,Turkish lenguage,etc. Thanks Harmony.

Posted December 29, 2008

My kids have attended HSA since the first year it opened. Now my kids are in seventh and eight grade. I decided to keep them here because their main priority is education. Their curriculum is geared toward intellectualism not sports or extracurricular 'wastes of time.' The teachers are very responsive to parents questions and concerns. They maintain an open line of communication through emails and phone calls. Their TAKS scores also speak louder than words.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

49 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

51 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

65 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

67 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

87 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

91 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

95 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

92 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

75 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

75 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

72 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

68 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

56 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

55 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

54 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students74%

All Students100%
Hispanic100%
Economically disadvantaged100%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 4%

• FATIH AY
Fax number
  • (713) 729-6600

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now