Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I started attending to HSA in 2006 when it first opened. I will not say that the school is perfect cause it's not, but it does provide students with many academic opportunities. There is a lack of organization I'll admit, but that is only do to the staff trying to incorporate the students in leadership skills by allowing the students to help shape the school. It's very hard for a school who is not funded by the government to have as many things as public schools do (Sports, Fields, Bands etc. ) Harmony focuses on the student's academic interest, and it's very hard for some students to accept the fact there are no extracurricular activities. I have been reading reviews on the language barrier that some of the teachers have and how it affects the learning skills of a student. It does not take it from someone who attended the school knowing very limited english, I spoke spanish, anyone could say some of the teacher's accents would have made it impossible to learn. It didn't. No one is forced to take any language course, they are given options, if anything happened (you child ended in an unwanted course), you would simply need to speak the the coordinator and transfer the student. Robotics is a very challenging activity, and as they mentioned it requires a lot of collaboration from teachers and parents, indeed it does. The students spend weeks working on building, designing, programming, and testing the robot. With each test there is always something that needs adjustments. Students create props, design sketches, webpages, and engineering notebooks that include the progress of the robot, the adjustments, programming, as well as community service and bonding events the team has attended. The students spend days and nights working on the robot, and the week of competition many loose sleep. The students are giving their everything on the robot and require at least some help which is exactly were parents and teachers come in to help them prepare. I feel not everyone truly understands all the work that is put into robotics, Moot Trial, UIL, STEM Fair or any of the activities. Harmony allows the students to set up these events to enhance their independence and leadership skills. Harmony is more than a school, it is HOME. And everyone, from K-Staff, is FAMILY. I am really proud to be a TIGER! Once a tiger, always a tiger.

UPDATE: We've removed my sister from this school and placed her in a public school because of the utter lack of organization and communication from the schools staff from the academic and administrative side. I should note that she is currently BEHIND in regards to science and is having assistance from her new teacher to catch up which I find ironic considering that Harmony is supposed to be a STEM school. I'd also like to address the issue of bullying. The school really tries to hammer in the anti-bullying in the students but it's still something that occurs and currently the school hasn't been extremely effective in having a guidance counselor available to students in the lower years. I've marked down the review for the school to 3 stars. I'm not entirely sure what the high school is like or how successful it is but we had no interest in staying to figure it out. Initially the school was meeting our expectations academically and the teachers were decent for elementary. I can't share the same sentiment for the the middle school staff (both from the teaching and administrative sides). My sister has been attending Harmony for 3 years going into her 4th year as I write this review. So far are experience with this school are overwhelmingly postivie. There are a few cons here and there but I think it's a matter of knowing what you want them to succeed in. Yes, Harmony does not have any kind of sports activities (I suppose if this is important to a parent the school while NOT meet your needs) and they are lacking in any other after school activities (which to some extent is major con for me) but we've managed to add activities of her own outside of Harmony to keep her busy. Academically the school is what we were looking for and, as of yet, have nothing to complain about. My sister is taking Turkish (which I find strange being there other languages with more use that could have been taught) although should would have preferred French but she's taking it in stride and is enjoying the class. Overall, we've had good experience with Harmony and find it challenging compared to the previous school she attended.

My daughter attended this school and was awesome I had no problems and small class setting so that was great. They pay attention to the students. I am now waiting for my next child to be able to attend so she may go to the same school.

I am a parent of two students; prospective parents and students beware. At first, Harmony Science Academy seemed an appropriate choice, comparing it to the public schools surrounding our area; however, the principal and staff are incredibly unorganized, planning their events in a hurried and unorganized manner. The preference in teachers is mostly from Turkish decent. These teachers have not mastered the English language and carry a heavy, incomprehensible accent. We often receive communication such as syllabi or emails from teachers, which are close to illegible. My children are forced to take Turkish classes, when in fact we have selected Spanish as our language of choice. Living in El Paso, Spanish is a necessity, not a preference. We are ready to relocate our children to another school.

Academically, you a school that will provide the proper education and also challenge your child. They did all of this for my son, I am sports mom that wants him to achieve in those areas when he gets older. HSA, proviveds skills that enhance what he needs when he reaches college versus holding him back like most school that refuses to teach. Thr teachers are always readily available if he needs more guidance or if I have a question. The facility is a school that is safe looking, he used to go to a school where just anyone could walk in. Thegfacility is helpful and I have never had a problem, my son is in AP classes in which he last school, Bassett Middle School refused to test him, making him bring home straight As was nice, but he was bored. HSA is challenging and he loves, he mskes honor roll all the time.The is the only school that received any type of recognition for their excellent education in yheir students versus any other school in El Paso.

As a parent of two students , one in high school and another in middle I am posting these thoughts for other prospective parents.My children have a ttended for 3 years. The dedication of the teachers seems to be very good, albeit I understand that some are hard to understand with their heavy accent. Classrooms seem to be well managed and extracurricular events are thoroughly planned and executed well. It seems their is some administrative channeling of students which in the old days would be called tracking but that is just an opinion . Otherwise thumbs up so far.

My daughters have been in this schol for 5 years. My youngest daughter had being bullied most of her life in school and when we transfer her to this school, most of this kind of problems stoped. Their teaching method and leadership were excellent. My oldest daughter has always being very talented, but they did not have much extra curricular corses to help her charllenge herself. They had and excellent science, math, and robotic program, were she was involved until this year she just had the oportunity to placed on Science Fair. The principal was transfered to another HSA around Texas and the vice principal as well. We started seeing changes through the entire school. Especially on my olderst daughters programs mention above. They don't have much sports, H.S. does not provide physical education, Science is not as outstanding. My youngest daughter have improve in many ways. She has no problems with bullies, just typical kids normally arguing but alway school is on top of that. Overall I appreciate HSA for helping my youngest to believe in herself by not having to worry about bullies and the staff always being kind but strict to all students.

I have my children there and they are happy. It s a great school with great teachers.

As a member of leadership team in Harmony Science Academy El Paso, I would like to thank each and every member of school community to make Harmony El Paso the great experience for me as a new resident of this great city. It has been only pleasure to meet with all parents, students and all other stakeholders in El Paso community . This school has grown in enrollment from 300 to 730 in 4 years which ,of course, brought in some growing pains but what I have seen in my short experience is very dedicated faculty and parents who do everthing to make students feeling at home. With all issues any school might have, I think this school has been a good option for parents in public education. Umit Alp

I have two children that attend to this school since 2008. Overall I think this is an excellent school. Not only for the academic quality provided but also for the intrinsic motivation my children have. My children academic growth has exceeded our expectations. Parent involvement is a very important part in students academic life. Teachers are always thinking in supporting and improving the parents community by offering ESL classes, Turkish cooking classes, entertainment. It is so enjoyable that as a parent you always want to get involved. One aspect I am very thankful of is that all teachers are always involve not only with their students but also with their families. They always go for the extra mile. Extracurricular activities are always well organized. Finally, I want to thank all teachers and staff members for everything you do for our children. Guadalupe Yoshimoto

Last modified Harmony Science Academy (El Paso) is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.