El Paso, TX

Posted March 19, 2015
My child used to attend this school and I was severely disappointed for the following reasons: - The "Catholic" headmaster likes to portray herself as a very kind, God-fearing woman, but in reality, the only one who is feared there is her; her staff is TERRIFIED of her. - She flat out lied to me; several occasions. Something that was very disheartening since she's supposed to be Catholic as well. And, of course, all of these lies were monetarily motivated. - Many of the teachers ARE NOT STATE CERTIFIED!! And that is sadly displayed by the lesson plans and curriculum. My child was not learning what kids in the free public schools a block down the street were learning. - The headmaster told me directly that my child was nothing more than just another student and wasn't treated like an individual. - The school is run like a business, not an educational institution; main motivators behind the school are money and appearance. 2 years was enough for my family. My child now attends a charter school out of town and is progressing by leaps and bounds. It has taken my child time to catch up from how far behind my child was with the education given at St Mattews. Good luck.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 31, 2013
So far I really like St. Matthew, my daughter is in first grade with the teacher the reviews are fussing about. I really like the replacement teacher, I did look into her educational background and she does have a bachelors in education and does have experience. Ever since the old teacher was replaced, my daughters school work has improved no more words such spelling words such as like, now her spelling words include thermometer! The old teacher was unapproachable and was very unorganized, and to hear she was on facebook while in class upsets me. I am pleased with the administration and staff, I really am pleased with St. Matthew.

Posted January 29, 2013
And for the parent who says the turn over rate is 50%, have you ever thought that teachers resign because everyone knows who little private school teachers get paid, they possibly got a another position at a public school. And the one that got fired was for good reason!!

Posted January 11, 2013
The parent who posted on Nov. 21st regarding Macias' uniform changes is entirely wrong. If that parent took the time to call around to all of the other Catholic Schools in this area along with calling the diocese directly (as I have done), they would find that no other school has the same uniform policy as St. Matthews. At St. Joseph's, a similar uniform change was attempted but was shot down vigorously by the parents 2 years ago. The secretary for the superintendant, Sister Elizabeth, will also verify that uniform requirements are made at the INDIVIDUAL SCHOOL LEVEL, NOT THE DIOCESE. November 21st parent, YOU are the one who is misinformed and wrong.
3 people found this helpful

Posted December 07, 2012
We have been part of St. Matthew's for a number of years now and have been able to see the changes between administrations, we have a child in the first grade and are very familiar with the situation mentioned below (for everyone's information, she has 1 year of experience teaching elementary kids) and although we agree in regards to St. Matthew's having potential to be a great school, we have been very displeased by the changes we have seen in the last two years, a whole lot of teachers being fired/resigning as well as other positions, that, to us represent a risk. There are other factors that have contributed to our disappointment on this school, the only reason we have not moved our kids to a different school with spotless reviews like St. Marks is that we are moving out of El Paso this summer. But, in short, we would not recommend this school to any parent looking for a stable, well balanced environment for their children. Like I mentioned, this could be a great school but lacks the leadership of a seasoned principal who can handle the pressure of "over involved" parents. Hope that helps.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 28, 2012
I would like to say that St. Mathew's is an exceptional school and we are very happy to be part of this wonderful institution. I would like to address comments that were made by those parents who are dissatisfied with the principal and removal of a teacher. I think it is in bad taste to state "do not enroll your children here." Parents received a letter stating that the prior teacher was being replaced with a teacher that is certified by the State of TX and who has experience as a 2nd grade teacher. It is very dissappointing to hear someone complain and make false and uninformed statements. Maybe it was in the best interest of the school to remove a teacher not performing at the expected level considering we are paying for our childrens education. It is nice to know parents do care about getting the best educational oppurtunity for their children and are involved in what goes on in the class room.

Posted November 21, 2012
This is a wonderful school and a wonderful Catholic environment. We are very happy with Mrs. Macias. We love the children's participation and involvement in the weekly mass. We have three children at the school who are excelling and very happy. Any concern we have ever had has been handled quickly, efficiently and very satisfactorily. Highly recommend this school! Don't be fooled by the bad reviews- three are upset about a specific teacher and the other was from a change in uniform policy that came directly from the diocese.

Posted November 09, 2012
It a travesty for education when the principal becomes the parent's puppet and is "fire" happy. This principal is intimidated by both parents and with effective research based teaching strategies that engage the students and make learning fun!!!!! Writing spelling words 5 times or 10 times is not even on Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Domains. My child's first grade teacher had her reading and she woke up excited every day to go to school. She let go of a wonderful Certified teacher with a Master's degree. Now, heaven help us. We have a teacher's aid in that classroom! Back to boring ineffective teaching. The principal is obviously out of touch with current educational skills, strategies, and technology integration. And yes, I agree her true colors are hidden behind a mask of incompetence, fear, and intimidation. She is a perfect example of all the "don'ts" of a leader. DO NOT SEND ENROLL YOUR CHILD HERE!!!

Posted November 08, 2012
We totally agree with the 9/12/12 and 11/07/12 reviews, we enrolled our child on first grade this year. Everything seemed great, we had a great teacher, our child was happy. Yesterday we got a letter in our child's backpack stating that our 1st grade teacher had been dismissed (3 months into the school year no less) and that we had been assigned a PreK teacher's aid!!!! So we had to deal with a teary eyed child that did not understand why the teacher was gone, we now have a teacher's aid teaching 1st grade. No further explanations were given as to why the teacher was let go, from our experience she is a great, caring and loving teacher, it's a shame to see her go. We feel extremely displeased with the principal and the way she handles teachers and parents. St. Matthew's parent crowd is very hard to handle, snotty-pushy attitudes, power trips, you name it. We think some parents pushed the principal to make this decision and she pulled the trigger just to please them. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL, WE ARE ALREADY LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNATIVE, as long as this principal is there, the school will remain in bad shape. This could be a great school, it's just poorly managed.

Posted November 07, 2012
Wow, the review by the parent on 9/21/12 really nails it on the head. The principal is totally out of touch with parents, employees, and most importantly, teachers and students. If you're looking for continuity of education for your child, avoid St Matthew at all cost, since this principal fires teachers at whim and thus the school sees a turnover rate of over 50% (none of the teachers at St Matthew are loyal to this principal, for obvious reasons, most that could be described as lack of leadership skills). The principal is also out of touch with current teaching methodologies, the ones that are being taught in colleges today and being used throughout Texas at the more advanced schools. As long as the current principal remains on staff at St. Matthew, do NOT expect that your child will receive the best education possible. A better, more knowledgeable, engaged, and experienced principal is needed to make this school a place where you'd want to send your child.

St. Matthew Catholic School
400 West Sunset, El Paso, TX  79922
Last modified St. Matthew Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Matthew Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top