MacArthur El-Intermediate School

Public | K-8 | 721 students

Living in El Paso

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $134,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted March 13, 2014

MacArthur is on the road to becoming one of the best schools in EPISD. The new principal as of 2012 has a wonderful open door policy, and is making changes that I believe will improve not only test scores, but the overall student experience. There us truly a family atmosphere, and wonderful parental involvement. Parents are welcome at all times, as well as in the classroom. The PTA is very active and positive. Military families are embraced and welcome here. MacArthur is unique as it is the only K-8 school in the district, so your child will have a continuity in education like no other. If you are considering MacArthur, I strongly suggest meeting with the principal!

Posted October 15, 2013

The Principal has poor communication skills. She said she'd call and never did. When confronted in person, she was unapologetic and cool as a cucumber.

Posted March 3, 2012

My family has been part of the MacArthur community for many, many years, and we've never had anything but amazing experiences. However, this year is the first year that there is a rather "unwelcome" atmosphere. Faculty and staff are no longer fun and energetic as they usually are, and I believe its from the iron-fisted new principal, who has never been anything but cold and even rude. What a shame....but despite the negativity from the top, everyone else is still managing to keep MacArthur the great school that it's always been. Hats off to teachers, but principal, lighten up! School is supposed to be a positive, happy, welcoming place, not a prison!

Posted November 8, 2011

Each school has their flaws, minor or major, no school can be absolutely perfect. I was a student at MacArthur for 5 months due to an evacuation in Egypt, and I graduated there as well. Even though I was there for a short time, I was able to make friends in a jiffy! Especially since they thought I was Egyptian... I guess you could say I come from a military family, so, if you're worried that your kid won't fit in, don't worry they will. And about bulling problems, I had been called names in Spanish ONCE, and my teacher took care of it. I must say though, Spanish name calling is a BIG problem there, especially to those who don't know how to speak Spanish, or who are not Hispanic. Including me.

Posted August 31, 2011

I've read some of the other reviews, and honestly, it isn't as bad as you think. I may not be a parent, but I am a student at Macarthur. When bullying does occur, it's something small such as name-calling or something small that students could handle by ourselves but choose not to. I am a GT military student, you would think I would be picked on, but I'm not. I have friends, I am getting good grades, the teachers are nice for the most part. This website should allow students to voice their opinions about schools, not just parents who don't know what REALLY happens.

Posted May 12, 2011

I am so frustrated about the problem with bullies at MacArthur! TEACHERS DON"T IGNORE THE PROBLEM, PUT A STOP TO IT!!! My son asked a teacher in the 7th grade for help when a student was kicking him, but the student continued kicking my son! WHY?????? Don't let kids taunt one another with vicious remarks in your classrooms, PUT A STOP TO IT!!! I don't want my son to be the next person making a, " IT GETS BETTER VIDEO" on youtube because teachers and the administration don't help the innocent victims! HELP!

Posted June 21, 2010

I have had a student here for two years now. Overall, it has been OK. None of the schools here seem to come close to the schools on the East Coast. While my student did well in the GT program, I cannot imagine what would have happened if she was an average student. Teachers were wonderful. Never met the Principal but I did try. Office staff need some courses in communication. More strict enforcement needs to happen with the gang kids and problem children plus they do have a bullying problem, although they tend to brush it under the rug. I would rather my child attend this school than some of the other schools though. It is better than many in EPISD.

Posted May 30, 2010

We are new to El Paso. I have three children in this school and have found the teachers to be excellent across the board. Unfortunately, the teachers do not have support of the principal, The school however is badly organized and that comes from the top. I agree with previous reviews that the principal is NOT on the ball. There is no set calendar as events are cancelled/ rescheduled frequently. the EPISD needs to know a ship is only as good as its captain, this ship is sinking:( There is no consistency here and lack of communication. If you are an involved parent that thrives on organization and proper, timely communication this is not the school for you without patience!

Posted March 23, 2010

I am very sad to see how the staff treat the parents in this school. There is no professionalism in this staff and it sad because it reflects on the principal not being on top of the conduct of her employees. I think that the code of conduct that applies to the children should apply to the office staff more so. we all need to talk to them when we enter. and its hard to, because of how they are. please ms. ramirez, correct that problem, so that you don't seem as unapproachable as them.

Posted March 23, 2010

We are a military family stationed here in El Paso. My daugther has a wonderful teacher but the rest of the staff that I have come in contact with is very rude. If you are hispanic you should have no problems at this school. I have been treated badly multiple times upon entering this school. Parents are not aloud to go anywhere in the school other than the office. The rules about their pick-up policy changes everytime I go there. My daughter, who is 7 has been forced to walk around the outside of the school multiple times alone because they were told they couldn't walk through the halls after school. I would not recommend this school to anyone!!! The principal, Ms. Ramirez, is very rude and unapproachable.

Posted August 26, 2009

My daughter graduated this June 2009 from Mac Arthur. For me it was the best school compare to others. Good environment, good students. No gangs. Academic excellence. Principal and assistant principal make great team and they trying to discipline as hard as they can. Great School I highly recommended.

Posted May 27, 2009

My child will grow, bloom, and excel-not excell at MacArthur. It is a safe school with a new drop-off-zone to open soon and camera installation taking place in halls...what else could a parent want? Small numbers of students makes it also a safe environment to learn.

Posted April 22, 2009

I wouldn't recommend this school. Yes, there are some nice teachers, but if you want your child to achieve a bit more, academically as well as socially, this is not an option. You almost feel sorry to say something negative about MacArthur, but honestly, I don't know what positive to say about it either. The children have no chance to grow & bloom and excell here.

Posted March 18, 2008

The safety of our students is what concerns me most as a parent of students at MacArthur. The crosswalks after school on Shaver street are either blocked by vehicles or very conjested. I've seen so many violations that I am amazed an accident has not occured. I am also amazed that a cop is usually several yards away patrolling another area when I think the smaller children's pathway's should be taken more seriously and be taken care of immediately. I hope this matter will be taken care of as soon as possible.

Posted January 5, 2008

I'm a 7th grader at MacArthur Middle and its a cool school my friends are great and so are the teachers, but their uniform policy is to much inforced its a drag to be yelled at everyday just because we're not tucking in our shirts or something like that....but besides that everything else is great. Except all we do is review and review over the TAKS test and if we're reviewing it we're talking about it and its so boring to hear.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 31, 2007

I'm a seventh-grader currently going to this school and it's really... well.. ok. Here's the truth. The office staff is slow, disorganized, and hard to deal with. The uniforms are slammed into our faces too hard, (like they're our lifelines) and our entire year is spent reviewing and re-reviewing over and over for the TAKS tests at the end of the year. It's really stressful on both us and the teachers. Teachers are wonderful, and I love all of them. But the faculty? geez. I'm glad I'll be out of here soon.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 19, 2004

MacArthur has an outstanding staff who truly care about their students. The teachers are always interested in new ways to teach and have high standards. Uniforms are wore and discipline is enforced. It is a good and safe school to send children to.
—Submitted by a teacher

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

38 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

39 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

38 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

46 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

46 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

158 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

155 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2011.

141 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

141 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 94% in 2011.

136 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

160 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 95% in 2011.

All Students96%

Hispanic94%
Economically disadvantaged89%
Proficient in English95%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 63% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students84%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Gym

• IRMA PIRTLE
Fax number
  • (915) 779-2281

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options